System requirements Edius 6.5 for 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System requirements Edius 6.5 for 3D

I have a question about the system requirements Edius of Edius 6.5, that are necessary to run 3D. I use my nvidia 3D vison system, and it works fine for 3D - both with a Quadro 2000D (but I have also a GTX 570 in my system).

But from time to time people ask, what are the requirement for the GPU.
    So, is it necessary to have a Quadro for 3D, using nvidia 3D vision? Or is it enough to have a GTX?

I have not found really enough information about the system requirements, with regard to 3D.

For basic 3d editing, meaning side by side, top and bottom, all you will need is an HD Spark, a 3d Monitor, and of course Edius.

Rough Price tag on this
    HD Spark: $300
    3D Monitor: 32" $400 This was cheaper for me than going the NVIDIA 3d route

Edius, whatever you can get that for.

If you want true dual stream you will need a Storm 3g and the GV brick that converts the SDI to 1.4 HDMI. This is very expensive.

What you will want to have is a decently powered system. I have a core 2 quad x9650 and it will play, depending on the length of the clip and how many filters are used, pretty decently. But...

My 980x cuts through the footage very well. Keep in mind, your buffer is going to be 64frames. This means there are two frames playing at the same time where the buffer would normally be 128.

You will be adding filters to L and R eyes. So thats double the filters.

So, the more juice that you have there the better. I would say a decently powered X58 and above will work quite well. A higher ended core 2 setup will work but at the minimum level.

Hope this helps.
    Jerry
    Six Gill DV
    www.sgdvtutorials.com
    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Jerry,

thank you for your anwer. I run here Edius 6.5 with my i7 2600K 16 GB ram, but also a Quadro 2000D and a GTX 570, using nvidia 3D vision. The system is great for both editing 3D with Edius 6.5 and Vegas Pro and you have true dual streams - cheaper then a 3G.

My question was more about the minimum specification for the GPU.

So you can use a HD-Sparc and a passive monitor for sbs half output (even if I think that top-bottom half is better for a passive system). Ok, in that case I assume that the GPU is not relevant really (beside CUDA support maybe).

If you run nvidia 3D vision, well here I would really like to know the minimum specification. Is it necessary to have a Quadro? Or what should the GTX be for that purpose as a minimum card?

I do not ask for myself. I run a videoforum by myself with a focus to 3D, and a lot of people ask about that - but for Edius 6.5 I do not know the minimum GPU requirements for nvidia 3D vision.

Comment

I have only tested this with the 570 (which you say you have) but that worked fine for me. No need for a quadro. I do mainly use a SPARK though, set to side-by-side because you can set a different output for the SPARK to the computer screen. With nVidia 3D vision you have the same output in the program and source as you do on the second screen - and when set to 3D this means double vision on the source and program.
        EDIUS silver certified trainer.
        Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
        Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
        Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

So I understand that you use the GTX 570 for nvidia 3D vision, David?

What I am not so sure: when you say that you use the Spark, do you not have the half resolution at the end of the day when you use sbs-half? With nvidia you have 2x1920x1080, so two times the full resolution. What monitor do you ues for the Spark in sbs mode?

I agree that you can double the preview with nvidia 3D vision - on the full screen preview and the internal preview. But I like that, since it is possible to set the internal preview to the differenc vies - and with a right mouse click on the full preview you set the full preview to the 3D setting. So you have BOTH views - what is great for 3D editing and what I also love from Vegas.

Comment

The system is great for both editing 3D with Edius 6.5 and Vegas Pro and you have true dual streams - cheaper then a 3G.

Two things:
            1. You are using a monitor that is not in true yuv format.
            2. You are not outputting to a reference monitor. Which means you are not doing the same thing. The only way, at this point in time, to get a true dual stream output is to use either the Storm 3g or the Elite and the converter brick.

I did consider the NVIDIA method but the monitor alone was $800 for a 27".
            That is a computer monitor and not a 3dTV. Both methods are work arounds for the Storm 3g method.
            Jerry
            Six Gill DV
            www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
            Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

That was not the question.

I am satiesfied with my system, given the huge costs for a 3G.

Comment

I understand your desire to watch full 1920 3D whilst working on your project - but in practical terms consider the following:

Always edit 2D, it is less exhausting on the brain and the eye, you don't need polarised glasses, or flickering active shutters with reduced visual levels, whilst trying to edit, colour correct and so on.

You can't seriously try to work on a desktop monitor - period - especially with active shutters running all day -

Edius 6.5 allows you to switch your Spark output from L to R to SBS or whatever viewing format you need at the touch of a keyboard button - so with say, an LG passive 3D fed from you Spark card, you get your computer real estate un-affected, with full 1920 output in 2D - what I would call a great editing environment for almost all your edit needs.

You will spend 80% of your time in this traditional set-up and 20% of your time making parallax adjustments, for which you need a 3D output and to wear glasses - SBS half resolution is perfectly fine for setting all your parameters.

As far as I know, minimum viewing distance from your monitor should be 3.5 x screen height - at this distance you cannot tell the difference between SBS and full 1920 (watching 3D ) - I've tried it on dozens of tv's with material I've produced - I know there IS a resolution difference of course. You also know that you finished film is in full resolution anyway.

I just can't imagine working 10 hours straight cutting matts, setting keys, colour correcting, not even to mention editing, whilst wearing any form of 3D glasses - the strain would be extreme.

I'm not saying your principle idea is wrong at all, full 3D frame packed output from a 3G would be great, but personally I'm not an active shutter fan, I find it uncomfortable as well as changing the environment variables too much.

A Spark is cheap, and LG passive TV's are really comfortable to watch, much less strain on the brain - but this is just my opinion here.

have fun,

Paul :-)
                Edius Edits at: http://www.vimeo.com/user781619/videos

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

I agree with you Paul. Edit the project in 2d and then go back and adjust your
                  clips for 3d. It's a pain in the butt either way, but at least all you are having to do, in most cases, will be adjusting stereoscopic settings.
                  Jerry
                  Six Gill DV
                  www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

I am in the habit of checking my shots for illegal elements after ingest as well, dumping takes that are not useable, these become fewer and farther between as you become more skilled at setting your shots - meaning you spend a minimum of time in 3D land - an exception to this is when working with graphic/title design in 3D space - it's a little more intensive.

Paul :-)
                    Edius Edits at: http://www.vimeo.com/user781619/videos

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Paul, I am editing 3D now for about a year, and with a clear workflow I see no need to wear the 3D glasses all the time. To adjust the convergence is one step only, and there are a lot of other steps in a good workflow. I agree with that.

But beside that this is true for both passive and actige glasses. And beside that, if you are trained to 3D editing, I do it a lot of times without glasses - taking them up and down. Because then you are trained to see the divergence also without the glasses, and in many cases it is easier to adjust the zero divergence without glasses.

But I check the result with the glasses, for sure. And here I like my full resolution, since a Spark with passive glases deilivers a sbs-half or (if I would prefer that) a top-bottom-half picture only.

Comment

I must say that I disagree. I have been editing 3D for 5 years now and even started working with 3D with Edius 6.0 and created my own 3D workflow.
                        You need to edit in 3D all the time. But, you do not need to watch in 3D with the glasses on all the time. I use a three screen set up with two GTX 580's. I keep my preview window on Left only or Anaglyph (easy to see L/R separation), then my 55" LG Passive 3DTV is used as the external preview. If it doesn't ghost on passive then it will be even better on an active screen. Sales of 3DTV's show that most people have passive sets and the number is growing as TV makers add 3D capabilities to most new models.
                        Why always 3D? Because you need to check your transition shots as well as looking at the originals for good 3D. You can have two 3D shots that are acceptable, but when put next to each other may result in an unacceptable 3D depth jump. This can be as bad as a plain old fashioned bad 3D shot.
                        Al Caudullo
                        3DGuy & Digital Samurai
                        Explore TV Productions
                        Edius 3D Grass Cutters Training
                        3DGuy Consulting & Training
                        www.3dguy.tv
                        Las Vegas, USA & Bangkok, Thailand

Grass Valley Edius Computer Spec
                        Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth X79
                        Chip - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930 CPU
                        Windows 7 Professional
                        64-bit Operating System
                        Ram - 64 GB DDR3
                        Main Drive - OCZ-AGILITY3 SSD HD
                        Graphic Cards - NVIDIA Geforce GTX770 4GB DDR5 RAM

Comment

Originally posted by 3dguy View Post
                          You need to edit in 3D all the time. But, you do not need to watch in 3D with the glasses on all the time.
                          I think that is what we are talking about - and I edit 3D in that way. My settings are 3D always - but I do not watch 3D with the glasses on all the time.

I use a three screen set up with two GTX 580's. I keep my preview window on Left only or Anaglyph (easy to see L/R separation), then my 55" LG Passive 3DTV is used as the external preview.
                          I run also my 3 screen setup - and I tend to use the internal preview with a difference picture, since here you see the diparity in a great way. And I run on my 3D monitor the 3D preview in most cases.

With the use of a 55-inch display - well, I had such a display for years for 3D editing, but the pitfall is that we know today that the length of cuts are changed if you are too near to a huge display. From that side the 55-inch on the editing place can be too large, but that depends on your distance for sure. For 3D it is great, I am sure.

If it doesn't ghost on passive then it will be even better on an active screen. Sales of 3DTV's show that most people have passive sets and the number is growing as TV makers add 3D capabilities to most new models.
                          Sure, the passive displays tend to be the no 1 in terms of sold units, due to the weight in glasses and the price of glasses. But people have another distance to such a unit, compared with a typical editing place. That is why I prefere here the full preview.

Why always 3D? Because you need to check your transition shots as well as looking at the originals for good 3D. You can have two 3D shots that are acceptable, but when put next to each other may result in an unacceptable 3D depth jump. This can be as bad as a plain old fashioned bad 3D shot.
                          Very true that you have to check the transitions, and have to check the depth bracket. That is a step in the workflow that must be done, but why do you think that it must be done on a permanent base?

Comment

In answer to the questions you asked me - yes I use a 570 with nVidia preview. We even had it working on a 550 but not really editing much on that.

Through the spark it is half res. I am using a 23" LG passive screen which is good enough for my needs - although I am not editing 3D for a job, just for fun. The other comments here from Paul, Jerry and 3D guy are from people using the 3D a lot more than me.

Another thing on my to do list is test the 6 series cards since I can run up to 4 screens on these, or to test with one screen on my Ivybridge graphic card and two others on the 570 - one of which is using nVidia 3D. Unfortunately it is not very high on my list right now because personally I am only editing for fun and I don't have many customers who actually want 3D systems, so there are other things I need to test.
                            EDIUS silver certified trainer.
                            Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
                            Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
                            Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Well David, thank your for your input. My situation is that I edit also 3D as "second job" only, my first job is consultancy.

I understand the postings quite well - saying that passive glasses means less stress, especially if you edit a lot of hours a day. But I think there are a lot of different experiences, and that is fine. I wonder a little bit always, that people are not worried if they use the half resolution on their editing places - but it is their decision to do so.

But the major conclusion from that discussion is:
                              - yes it works with nvidia 3D vision, also without a Quadro (for Vegas you still need a quadro for a secondary full display).
                              - yes it works with side-by-side half with a Spark, what is a high-quality output in terms of color space.
                              - to have a full 2x1920x1080 output with defined color space you need a 3G, and in addition a reference monitor. Takes a lot of money...
                              - and yes, I know that the use of a graphic card and monitors there are limitations that this is not a reference monitor. That is an old discussion, I have here my old NX and understand that quite well.

- I assume that a side-by-side half output will also work with a graphic card? Anybode who has tested that with Edius?

Comment

Working...
                              X