Edius 6.5 - More QT codec issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edius 6.5 - More QT codec issues

So, I finally got my upgrade to 6.5 and had some time to play with it.
    While I love some of the new features, it also seems to introduce big showstoppers.

a) Avid DnxHD Quicktime files won't play anymore. There is sound but no image. Same files play ok in Avid and Premiere on the same/other system(s) and used to play just fine in previous versions of Edius (QT version is 7.7.1 btw). What????? There goes my workflow with all my Avid guys.
    b) Exporting to Quicktime Canopus HQ doesn't work at all. Gives a flvexporter error.
    Exporting to Quicktime HQX won't give any errors but the finished file has wrong gamma (way too dark) and, when played in QT, has the same problem I mentioned in another post regarding artifacts with the new HQX Mac codec bundle.
    HQX .avi export - plays fine in Windows Media Player and Edius, correct gamma.
    HQX .mov export - artifacts, wrong gamma.
    HQX . avi file that works just fine in Edius and WMP when opened in QT player either on Mac or PC: artifacts, correct gamma.

Handling of QT files in 6.5 is seriously broken, as is the HQ/HQX Quicktime codec.
    Email to tech support has been sent.
    If this gets fixed soon, 6.5 will be a great, great NLE and could answer many questions.
    Until then I am pretty much done using it as I need at least DnxHD fully functional.
    Test Systems:
    Supermicro 2x2.8Ghz Xeon E5-2680v2, Nvidia Titan, Tesla K20c, 64Gb Ram, Win7 64bit, Raid and San Storage.
    HP z800, 2x2.56Ghz Xeon Westmare CPU, Quadro 4000, 48Gb Ram, Win7 64bit, Areca 8040 SAS Raid.

Did you reload the avid codex pack to see if that would help.
    Jerry
    Six Gill DV
    www.sgdvtutorials.com
    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I am not convinced... first let me state I only have the trial version here to test (stock due next week). However with regards to a)Please do as Jerry says re-install your Avid codec pack if you have not done so since installing 6.5.

b) My findings are a little different to yours... in fact gamma seems to be consistent. I did a small test where I exported a short clip to QT-HQX and to AVI-HQX and brought them back into Edius 6.5 and the gamma is exactly the same...see attached jpg of a split screen from the timeline... using the difference blending mode and one clip over the other you can see a small amount of difference between the two clips but nothing related to gamma, mostly noise I imagine. I also exported a title to QT-HQX with alpha and brought this back into Edius 6.5 and lined it up on the timeline and took a screen shot... you can see major artifacts initially due to the known QT-HQX bug which sets the clips field frame to upper field in this case for 25p... once this is set back to match the clips actual frame field settings then artifacts dissappear... in fact the file is extremely close to the original title clip.

QuickTime is not reliable for preview on windows systems as the gamma is always out even for FCP originated data such as ProRes, so ideally you do need a mac running FCP at least for proper testing and also where you can make any settings changes to the clips your viewing especially in light of the current field bug in the HQX QT codec. Having said that it is possible with QT pro on windows to read the raw data in your HQX.mov and HQX.avi see last screen shot.

I am not saying there are no issues with the codec... there are... but in my findings its not as bad as you are saying and some could indeed be user induced. I think things are looking very very promising indeed and reading through the forum it seems issues that have cropped up are already being or have been fixed.

Best
      Dave.
      Attached Files
      Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
      www.nakedeyedv.com

Comment

Reinstalling Avid's codec pack had no effect. Problem persists. Black image with DnxHD QT files in Edius only, no issues whatsoever with Premiere or Avid or any other app that loads QT files.

As far as the gamma issue is concerned:
        Project settings at 8bit, export to QT HQX - no gamma shift
        Project settings at 10 bit, export to QT HQX - bad gamma shift. Much, much darker. (also when played on a Mac with FCP, btw).

Tried with QT source files (Prores HQ), HQX avis and uncompressed avi. Exporting to QT HQX from a 10bit project is broken.

Btw, exporting to QT HQX from eg. Adobe Media Encoder has no gamma problem (but, of course, the mentioned artifacts, to AVI, no gamma, no artifacts).
        It's clearly related to how Edius reads QT files and interprets them in a 10 bit project.
        Last edited by mediawars; 07-08-2012, 11:22 AM.
        Test Systems:
        Supermicro 2x2.8Ghz Xeon E5-2680v2, Nvidia Titan, Tesla K20c, 64Gb Ram, Win7 64bit, Raid and San Storage.
        HP z800, 2x2.56Ghz Xeon Westmare CPU, Quadro 4000, 48Gb Ram, Win7 64bit, Areca 8040 SAS Raid.

Comment

In response to your previous thread I did some tests exporting to HQ an HQX files with Adobe and Final Cut 7 on a MAC and I did not have any problems with artefacts - I did a moving title and also encoded a prores to HQ MOV using compressor. So I have never seen the artifacts.

As mainly a PC guy I am not very qualify in trying to identify why I get different results to you.

I have Avid too and will test tomorrow (the MAC is at work, I use a PC at home)
          EDIUS silver certified trainer.
          Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
          Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
          Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Try white text on black background, slightly scaling up over time so there is movement. Throw it in compressor and you should see it.
            We have tried on all our Macs now (6) and it is the same result on all machines.
            If you want you can also PM me and I can send you 1 second of the clean Prores footage I have used for testing.
            Test Systems:

Comment

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5sQq...ure=plpp_video

Read the thread:

http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26788

Are you using Edius 6.5 to create the original test file? If so, are you exporting by way of Quicktime Exporter?
              After creating this file within Edius 6.5 and importing it onto a mac machine that has the codecs installed, can you get playback on the mac by way of FCP or Premiere?

Also, here is a title from 6.5 with movement and dropshadow from Layouter.

http://fredfrap.com/stuff%20for%20bubba/HQ%20QT.mov
              Last edited by Jerry; 07-08-2012, 10:09 PM.
              Jerry
              Six Gill DV
              www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
              Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

The precisely how I export. I can't see which other way you could export to QT out of Edius.
                Yes, those files play on the Mac. Btw, the info in the post you've linked to is wrong. Also avi files encoded with HQ/HQX play on the Mac once the codec is installed (via Quicktime), not just .movs.
                However, as previously written, in QT they have artifacts.
                Test Systems:

Comment

The information is correct. If you are getting artifacts with the avi version, it doesn't work. It might play, but it doesn't look good. That translates to not working in my book.

So do as Gavin describes and use the .mov wrapper for now.
                  You admit the QT.mov versions work. How are you exporting from the mac? When you export are you using the same codec option for export.

Not being a MAC user, I don't know your options.
                  But it seems logical that if using the .mov version plays fine, then the export should work as well. Can you export the file by way of prores and import back into Edius 6.5?
                  Can you confirm or deny that?
                  Jerry
                  Six Gill DV
                  www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

Can you post a DNXhd qt file so I can test it? Never mind, I found one.
                    Last edited by Jerry; 07-08-2012, 11:22 PM.
                    Jerry
                    Six Gill DV
                    www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

The information is not correct.
                      I said both files are playable as Quicktime can open and play the file without giving notice that no decoder is present - and that applies to both HQX avis and movs. They play.
                      Nevertheless, there are artifacts in both HQX avis and movs when playing them in QT on the Mac. There are also artifacts when playing hqx files via Quicktime on the PC. Using any non QT application to read HQX avis is fine. Quicktime doesn't care if its an avi or a mov as both use the same decoder bundle.
                      As long as Quicktime is not involved, the files are ok. But on the Mac I have to go via the QT framework as there is no other way to get HQX files to work.
                      Test Systems:

Comment

Did you try the file on the link. When played on the pc, it looks perfect.
                        Jerry
                        Six Gill DV
                        www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

Have you got a link to a sample HQX file you have created that plays with artefacts on your MAC? Like I said mine work ok.

What version of Quicktime do you have installed on the PC? Presumably you have 7.7.2 that EDIUS installed? Just trying to think of a reason why HQX files might work for me and not you.
                          EDIUS silver certified trainer.
                          Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
                          Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
                          Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

I am out of the office for today but I'll prep some source files and some encodes for you to download tomorrow morning. Tnx.
                            Test Systems:

Comment

Originally posted by mediawars View Post
                              As far as the gamma issue is concerned:
                              Project settings at 8bit, export to QT HQX - no gamma shift
                              Project settings at 10 bit, export to QT HQX - bad gamma shift. Much, much darker. (also when played on a Mac with FCP, btw).
                              Hi mediawars... all my tests were done with 10bit from 10bit edius 6.5 trial projects and I see no gamma shift or artifacts. So sorry I cant help here.

However with regards to your DNxHD not working you may have something here... I am not getting black frames but I do get wierd stuff happening... the DNxHD files import with image data intact but they dont actually play on the timeline, I just see a still frame and this is the same when the timeline is rendered... sometimes it will update the frame in the player when paused after playing over or scrubbing through a short section on the timeline/ player. I can browse through all the frames in the clip properties dialog though. Vegas and AP have no problems playing back or scrubbing through the same files.
                              Edius 6.5 will render via QT to DNxHD but during the process the gamma comes out wrong (if in the QT exporter for Avid I select 709 its wrong, if I select RGB it matches the clip on the timeline, which was shot at 709)... not sure if this is QT or Edius 6.5.... and those files exhibit the same behaviour as described above.... wont playback.

I have tried with QT 7.7.1 and QT7.7.2 and Avid QT codec packs 2.3.2, 2.3.4 and 2.3.7... all other software handles these files just fine.

I will test more when I have a full version installed later this week.

Best
                              Dave.
                              Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
                              www.nakedeyedv.com

Comment

Working...
                              X