X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    trillium

• trillium
    replied
    Follow-up on Avast. As I was preapring to uninstall, it loaded an update that I didn't initiate and installed and made Google Chrome my default browser without asking. Needless to say I have deleted Avast from both machines now.

Leave a comment:

• SoundFreak_HD

• SoundFreak_HD
    replied
    You also could make use of a caddy, i have several installed in my edit machine and works very well.
    In a very short amount of time you could swap the boot drive from NLE setup to i.e. a special hdd for testing purpose or Internet use.
    Also I can pull my data drives out to safeguard them.
    If you don't have the budget for multiple machines this is pretty cost effective and like me, you still can play around with XP, win2K or Win98 :)

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo

• antonsvideo
    replied
    I would not do that, because if you get a rootkit type of virus, you may no longer be able to boot from the alternative partition either

what about a very cheap PC or laptop just for email or browsing?

Leave a comment:

• empezza
    replied
    For users who do not have a dedicated video editing PC, would dual boot be a solution?

BOOT 1 - normal daily usage, email, web browsing, etc with a good security package

BOOT 2 - all video edit software and data/project files, but no internet connection (or one that is easily turned on and off when needed), no AV software

It's a bit of a pain rebooting to switch from one to the other, but would it work?

Leave a comment:

• gdame

• gdame
    replied
    Originally posted by Tobe View Post
    check out VIPRE as well. I use it on all my machines...never had a problem...George Dame recommended it and I try to always be a good boy and follow his advice. :-)
    Ha-Ha...Thanks Tobe!

Vipre Anti Virus by GFI has a very small footprint and very low overhead. It is easy to temporarily disable. While many of the systems I ship are not on the internet full time, Vipre initiates a scan of removable media upon insertion which is the #1 way I find for systems being compromised. It is also a great value for multiple pc's for multiple years. Tech support is also US based and free.

Leave a comment:

• Tobe

• Tobe
    replied
    check out VIPRE as well. I use it on all my machines...never had a problem...George Dame recommended it and I try to always be a good boy and follow his advice. :-)

Leave a comment:

• trillium

• trillium
    replied
    Thanks, I'll check-out NOD32. I was using the pro version of Avast on my home box and the free here at work. A few months back I had a series of weird lock-ups while MSE was on the computer and started using Avast. However, Avast really killed my bandwidth by a factor of about 50% as it seems to send everything to a proxy server during downloads (at least the pro version does) causing download times to suffer greatly.

I can certainly switch-off AV as needed offline. Thanks for the various suggestions. I'll post any revelations if I find any!

Trill

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_PS

• GrassValley_PS
    replied
    I have tried almost all of them and I agree with Dave, Nod 32 or the higher version eSet Smart Security.

Leave a comment:

• NakedEye

• NakedEye
    replied
    NOD32... low resource use, deadly efficient, configurable and affordable.. you would be surprised at what the free stuff misses.

Best
    Dave.

Leave a comment:

• SoundFreak_HD

• SoundFreak_HD
    replied
    Running AVGfree 2012 on all my edit systems, it's pretty lightweight, easy to make an exclusion list for all used source files & footage in Edius, you can even disable it until next reboot, and if needed (without rebooting) switch it ON again to scan a USB HDD or PenDrive given by a client in about a second or 2.

Leave a comment:

• dpalomaki

• dpalomaki
    replied
    Centrifuges were in large part a supply chain problem. In any case, the point being scan appropriately with up-to-date signatures and scan engine, and when you have a known clean configuration you keep it clean by staying disconencted from sources of infection. You run the AV when needed such as when conencting to potential sources.

FWIW: Many corporations have specific AV solutions they provide or mandate for system connected to their network. May be worth checking if your corp. does.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty

• Rusty
    replied
    My edit machine needs to go online frequently so AV is a must. I use Avast Free with great results. It can easily be switched off when not required.

To think one can completely avoid virus by isolation is living in the dark ages.
    Try running your centrifuges.

Leave a comment:

• dpalomaki

• dpalomaki
    replied
    AV software the monitors and checks disk reads/writes can be deadly for NLE performance. Less of a problem if you do not care about real-time performance.

I would isolate the PC from the rest of the network, and disable AV software. Only connecting when you have AV enabled. Maybe put it behind its own firewall/router.

Leave a comment:

• John Lewis

• John Lewis
    replied
    Im sure many people here may not like me have AV installed on an Editing PC most problems appear to be when installing software and they advice turning it off whilst installing. Most people may also have another PC for access to the web

Leave a comment:

• trillium

• trillium
    started a topic least drag antivirus

least drag antivirus

Getting ready to install Edius 6 - 6.5 for the first time in a couple of weeks after I complete my last Neo project- work in a corporate environ where I have to use some sort of antivrus software- preparing to dump Avast antivirus because I hate it, any suggestions for a no frills antivirus software that won't mess iwth Edius too much?

Ran a search in the forum but just found mostly threads on software problems- thinking about going back to MS Essentials after Avast but I seemed to get a lot of crashes on my system with MSE installed before- perhaps they've cleaned up the 64-bit version of MSE now, it certainly had problems before i think on this Dell Alienware Aurora box.

If this is the wrong place for this thread please direct me to correct forum.

thanks
    trill
Working...
X