Serious problem with HQX/HQ Quicktime codec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious problem with HQX/HQ Quicktime codec

It seems the HQX/HQ quicktime codec has some serious issues that need urgent fixing.
    Below is a screenshot of HQX material as shown on the Mac. Behavior is consistent and reproducable on four Macs with Lion as well as Snow Leopard. The problem is only visible in high contrast areas such as white text on black background.
    This happens with avis coming directly from Edius as well as QT files encoded on the Mac using the HQX codec.
    Please, please look into this and release a fix asap. The codec is of zero use in a production environment like this and it just amazes me that this could go unnoticed during the beta.
    Attached Files
    Test Systems:
    Supermicro 2x2.8Ghz Xeon E5-2680v2, Nvidia Titan, Tesla K20c, 64Gb Ram, Win7 64bit, Raid and San Storage.
    HP z800, 2x2.56Ghz Xeon Westmare CPU, Quadro 4000, 48Gb Ram, Win7 64bit, Areca 8040 SAS Raid.

First of all this is not the right place to request a fix. We can pass it on, but you should report this to tech support and go from there. Second, you are under the mistaken concept that all of the things discovered in beta are fixed before release. And third, GV has a history of releasing a point update for bug fixes shortly after upgrade releases.
    1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Was the original created in a release version of 6.5. Was the latest playback mac codec installed in the QT folder prior to trying to play this back on that same Mac?
      Last edited by Jerry; 07-02-2012, 02:14 AM.
      Jerry
      Six Gill DV
      www.sgdvtutorials.com
      If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
      http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
      Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

It occurs with avis both from 6 and 6.5.
        It also happens with .mov files encoded on the Mac, eg. from Prores to HQX.
        It happens with all HQ/HQX variants except HQ standard no Alpha. Any other setting always gives the problematic result.
        No problems with Prores, DnxHD, Cineform or anything else.
        Latest GV codec was installed on the Macs. Playback wasn't possible at all prior to this 1.0 release.

Btw, I send an email to tech support. Their reply was that "Quicktime codec is an Apple product and I need to contact them". Obviously they didn't get what I was talking about. Can someone here please forward the issue to the right parties please.

There is a certain buzz among Mac editor regarding this Edius release, mainly because of the cross platform codec. I think its importance is extremely underestimated. I think it's the most important feature of 6.5. We've been waiting for this release for a while to finally be able to incorporate Edius into our main workflows and stay HQX all the way but we need this codec to work cross platform without issues for this happen.
        Test Systems:
        Supermicro 2x2.8Ghz Xeon E5-2680v2, Nvidia Titan, Tesla K20c, 64Gb Ram, Win7 64bit, Raid and San Storage.
        HP z800, 2x2.56Ghz Xeon Westmare CPU, Quadro 4000, 48Gb Ram, Win7 64bit, Areca 8040 SAS Raid.

Comment

This is most likely fixed in the commercial release. There is an updated vesion of the codec that comes with it.

Also remember that there is no tech support for the trial version.
          Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
          EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

I am talking about the Mac version that is a free download from your site. There is no trail, it is the final thing and its free. The OSX codec pack should work regardless of trial or non-trial.
            Test Systems:

Comment

That would not have to be because internal codec are updated with builds.
              So it is best to check this in the commercial version.

One question. If you create a file on the PC in EDIUS do you see the same issue when playing it back in EDIUS?
              Steve

Comment

As Steve said, if you had an issue, it should show up while playing the same QT file back within Edius.
                Jerry
                Six Gill DV
                www.sgdvtutorials.com
                If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

The files on the PC play fine, ie. it is a problem with the Canopus QT decoder bundle on the Mac.
                  The HQ/HQX codec pack for the Mac is encode and decode, ie. any file on the Mac (Prores, DnxHD, Cineform, Uncompressed etc.) can also be encoded to HQX/HQ ON the Mac (via Adobe Media Encoder, After Effects, Quicktime itself, etc. etc.) without having ever seen a PC and the resulting HQ/HQX files display the same issue.

So, wether there is any change in the codec on the PC side with 6.5 doesn't really matter since it doesn't come into play here at all.
                  The Mac codec is a standalone thing independent from 6.5.
                  Test Systems:

Comment

That's what I try to explain the codec for both PC and MAC are updated in pairs.
                    Since the trial is older the the commercial version it is most likely that the separate it Codec is to because they are updated in "pair" . No need to argue check it in the commercial version.
                    I know we had lots of fixes.
                    So yes it matters contrary to what you believe.

If it is an issue with the commercial version then I will gladly report to our QA department.

I may put in my OSx disk in later to check with the commercial version.

If I find the same issue I will report it to QA immediately. :)
                    Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 07-02-2012, 09:06 PM.
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by mediawars View Post
                      The files on the PC play fine, ie. it is a problem with the Canopus QT decoder bundle on the Mac.
                      The HQ/HQX codec pack for the Mac is encode and decode, ie. any file on the Mac (Prores, DnxHD, Cineform, Uncompressed etc.) can also be encoded to HQX/HQ ON the Mac (via Adobe Media Encoder, After Effects, Quicktime itself, etc. etc.) without having ever seen a PC and the resulting HQ/HQX files display the same issue.

So, wether there is any change in the codec on the PC side with 6.5 doesn't really matter since it doesn't come into play here at all.
                      The Mac codec is a standalone thing independent from 6.5.
                      I would give up fella - clearly GV on here dont care and prefer to blame the user. I am seeking a Mac/Edius option but this kind of attitude on GV side doesnt bode well to addressing an issues.

Comment

Can you please explain what you mean with "trial"? There is no trial at play here.
                        I am using the final OSX codec you released two days ago (06/14/2012 Version 1.01), back to back with the final release of 6.5. I have never installed or used any trial of the Mac codec.
                        So, unless there is an update in the pipeline already I have to assume this is the current final release.

Originally posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
                        That's what I try to explain the codec for both PC and MAC are updated in pairs.
                        Since the trial is older the the commercial version it is most likely that the separate it Codec is to because they are updated in "pair" . No need to argue check it in the commercial version.
                        I know we had lots of fixes.
                        So yes it matters contrary to what you believe.

If it is an issue with the commercial version then I will gladly report to our QA department.

I may put in my OSx disk in later to check with the commercial version.

If I find the same issue I will report it to QA immediately. :)
                        Test Systems:

Comment

Simply forget Edius, 6.5, Windows and the PC for a moment.
                          The PCs remain switched off!!!
                          Just assume I don't own any PCs and I don't own Edius.

Take:
                          - Facility that is Mac only, no PCs
                          - They go to the Grass Valley site and download the HQX/HQ codec pack for OSX
                          - They do this today, no beta.
                          - They install it.
                          - They export an After Effects composition choosing the HQX Quicktime Plug-in.
                          - They open the final render in Quicktime player.
                          - The resulting file has artifacts.
                          Test Systems:

Comment

Can you tell me which application you used to export?
                            Steve

Comment

I have tried:
                              Compressor 4.04 (= latest)
                              Final Cut 7 (= Quicktime Export Component = Quicktime Player)
                              Quicktime Player
                              After Effects CS6
                              Media Composer 6
                              Test Systems:

Comment

Working...
                              X