Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem playing/scrubbing through video in Edius

Greetings!

Please forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place or if this issue has already been addressed elsewhere. I have searched the knowledge base and the forums and haven't been able to find a solution.

I am using the Edius 6 30 day trial right now. I am trying to decide if I want to purchase a license, but first I wanted to make sure it would work on my computer.

Here is my problem- I create a project in Edius and import my media. For the most part I am working with 1080x1920 resolution at 29.97 progressive frames per second. I set up a project to match this.

Importing my media went just fine. My issue is when I go to play video, either in the preview window or on the timeline. The video will play just fine, but after a couple seconds the cursor indicating the position on the timeline or in the video will stop moving, even though the video continues to play. Once the cursor stops moving, the program becomes unresponsive. Keyboard shortcuts do not work, nor does the program respond to clicks from the mouse. At least not immediately. Several seconds after I press the key the program will respond appropriately. At this point the cursor will also catch up to the video.

I have tried various different raw video files- xdcam, hdv, avchd, and even just regular old dv all with the same results.

Here is my system-
    -Intel core i7 3930k processor
    -32 gigabytes of ram (corsair 1600)
    -200 gigabyte SSD system drive
    -4 terabyte raid 0 array for storage- 7200 rpm HDDs
    -Dual AMD Radeon R7770 graphics cards in crossfire configuration.
    -Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Also of note- I have been using Edius at my day job for several years. Back before it was Grass Valley Edius. I use Edius 6 every day at work, so I don't think it is a problem with how I am using it.

Thanks in advance for any help :-)

Your computer is certainly good enough so I think it is just the wrong project preset. Are you sure you are using 29.97 progressive? What is your project preset. I would guess that you should be using a normal NTSC HD 1920 x 1080 project preset.
    1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
      Your computer is certainly good enough so I think it is just the wrong project preset. Are you sure you are using 29.97 progressive? What is your project preset. I would guess that you should be using a normal NTSC HD 1920 x 1080 project preset.
      Yes, I did make sure that I was using 29.97 progressive.

I also tried using regular DV footage captures via firewire and still encountered the same issue in a standard 4x3 NTSC SD project.

While continuing to try to troubleshoot this problem on my own, I did discover that Edius works find when I disable desktop composition in Windows 7 before running. When desktop composition is enabled, I have the problem.

At my day job we are able to use Edius 6 on Windows 7 pro with desktop composition turned on without any issues though... So I am not sure why I am not able to do it at home.

I am wondering if this could possibly be a graphics driver problem? Though I am using the latest graphics drivers available for my hardware.

Comment

could you inform what version the trial version is? help, version info

is there any antivirus software installed and running?

is windows defender disabled?
        Anton Strauss
        Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
          could you inform what version the trial version is? help, version info

is there any antivirus software installed and running?

is windows defender disabled?
          Sorry, I am at work right now as I write this, so I can't check the version number of the trial. I can say though that I just downloaded it yesterday, so it should be the most recent version.

Antivirus software- Yes, I am running Microsoft Security Essentials and I windows defender is enabled.

I was not aware this security software could cause problems with Edius, but I will try disabling it.

Comment

I think your on the money with your graphics setup being the culprit... try a new driver first... but I suspect your crossfire setup. Can you disable crossfire and see how it performs. Having said that Anton has great advice here also.

Best
            Dave.
            Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
            www.nakedeyedv.com

Comment

Disabling my anti-virus software had no effect. Same story with disabling crossfire mode on the video cards.

Right now I have set the compatibility options on the program to disable composition mode in windows when the program is run. With this done, the everything is working just fine.

Still not sure what the problem is, but at least there is a very easy workaround.

Comment

Working...
              X