Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon B
    replied
    Thank goodness someone else has been listening to what I am saying, thanks LALX. Go the the task bar, right click, select Task Manager from the menu and watch those four sine waves working away.

Leave a comment:

• jonandmarkuk
    replied
    Take a look at this review. I found it very interesting http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Q6600/index.php

Leave a comment:

• Angelo
    replied
    That's a BIG difference in performance from the E6600 to Q6600. From zero PIP to 1 PIP with 3 HQ files in RT.

...Angelo
    Last edited by Angelo; 09-12-2007, 02:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lalx
    replied
    Originally posted by Angelo View Post
    So your saying that Edius running on a 3.3Ghz Core2Duo is "much" faster than a Quad-Core 3.01Ghz? We are only taking about 10% more in clock speed even if Edius is only using 2-Cores, I would think the speed difference is would be very small. Can it be a lack of memory bandwidth with 4-Cores?

I know that AE is a much more advanced editing software than Edius, but we are spoiled with Edius' RT performance. ;)

...Angelo
    From my experience - the quads are waaaay better than the Duos. I moved from an E6600 (overclocked to 3.2) to a quad (overclocked to 3.0) and the difference in real time is phenomenal. As a test I had 3 HQ clips on the time line with colour correction. Two of them had chromakeys to them and I had the thrid sandwiched between them with a 3D PIP moving across the screen. This plays back in real time!

The E6600 would throw up on a PIP on a colour corrected chromakey.

Also on playing back if you look at the task manager - you will see all four cores crunching away. Premier does not even come close to using 4 cores as much as Edius does. (I tried the same test on CS3 to see how much CPU it uses - and it was minimal - and of course no RT - but then thats not a surprise...

- My two cents

Leave a comment:

• Angelo
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    I agree with Dave. I have a setup with that processor clocked to 3.01.
    The key is in the overclocking and efficient cooler.
    It is stable and peppy. I also have the Extreme 2.93 overclocked to 3.3
    which romps all over that puppy. Except in AE CS3. The Q6600 in AE is very smooth and if you are using DV it will be as close to RT(depending on your video card) as you are going to get. HD is another story.
    So your saying that Edius running on a 3.3Ghz Core2Duo is "much" faster than a Quad-Core 3.01Ghz? We are only taking about 10% more in clock speed even if Edius is only using 2-Cores, I would think the speed difference is would be very small. Can it be a lack of memory bandwidth with 4-Cores?

I know that AE is a much more advanced editing software than Edius, but we are spoiled with Edius' RT performance. ;)

...Angelo
    Last edited by Angelo; 09-10-2007, 08:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
    I'm sure capturing into HQ uses alot more CPU power, but during playback, I don't think Edius has a "smart engine" where it uses lets say 2 filters for 1 core and a keyer on a second core etc. Speed Encoder will also use All cores.

If I was building a lower end computer, I'd grab a Q6600 and overclock it to 3.0. But that's just me. I like to have future proof computers.
    I agree with Dave. I have a setup with that processor clocked to 3.01.
    The key is in the overclocking and efficient cooler.
    It is stable and peppy. I also have the Extreme 2.93 overclocked to 3.3
    which romps all over that puppy. Except in AE CS3. The Q6600 in AE is very smooth and if you are using DV it will be as close to RT(depending on your video card) as you are going to get. HD is another story.

Leave a comment:

• xmanflash
    replied
    I upgraded to quads core from dual core due to the ridiculous price drops.. All I can say is, wether Edius does or does not use the cores fully, the DVD Creator definately does use all 4 and speeds up my workflow a lot! Maybe not all parts of Edius use the quad core yet, but the most important one for me does - the edits I do are all real time anyhow..

Leave a comment:

• jonandmarkuk
    replied
    Which is one reason as to why not buy a Quad core. If buying a new CPU why not go for something that will have a bit of a longer life. Dual cores soon became standard and Quad cores will soon follow.
    Why buy a lower spec CPU just because Edius may not make full use of it at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Cool. You're at a good spot. Since all application developers need to conform to multi-core CPU's, they are forced to make sure their applications support multi cores. Edius should be able to do this by v5, I am hoping :)

Leave a comment:

• Gordon B
    replied
    That's the chip I'm using and I haven't, as yet OC'd it, it works like a dream, and I am capturing using the Canopus HQ codec.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    I'm sure capturing into HQ uses alot more CPU power, but during playback, I don't think Edius has a "smart engine" where it uses lets say 2 filters for 1 core and a keyer on a second core etc. Speed Encoder will also use All cores.

If I was building a lower end computer, I'd grab a Q6600 and overclock it to 3.0. But that's just me. I like to have future proof computers.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon B
    replied
    As I stated above, I have checked in Task Manager whilst running Edius 4.51c in HD and all the cores are active and running at around 20%, I am not imagining this, also capture and playback is fantastic, that must have something to do with the Quad CPU.

Leave a comment:

• Zorro
    replied
    Originally posted by rando View Post
    Its pretty well known same as (and more importantly in my book) is ProCoders lack of multi-core usage.
    It's not completely lacking. Just use the 'Preview DVD Target'. That target uses all cores in the machine.

Leave a comment:

• jonandmarkuk
    replied
    Originally posted by rsn108 View Post
    stated loud and clear a number of times.
    I just haven't seen anything on the forum, thats all. I even did a search and found nothing about Quad core support or not as the case maybe.

Even so if it doesn't support it now, why not buy a Quad core as Edius I'm sure will be updated to use it in the future.

Grass Valley could do with responding and clearing up an confusion.
    Lets not forget this is Quad Core on a single CPU NOT a true 2 or 4 CPU system there is a difference. Edius may only support 2 CPU setups not cores.

Leave a comment:

• rsn108
    replied
    That Edius or Procoder doesn't use 4 cores but only 2 has been stated loud and clear a number of times. I'd really like to hear from Grass Valley when support for 4 cores will officially be introduced. Apparently Vegas uses 4 cores.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X