best cpu for now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
    I agree with Dave. I have a setup with that processor clocked to 3.01.
    The key is in the overclocking and efficient cooler.
    It is stable and peppy. I also have the Extreme 2.93 overclocked to 3.3
    which romps all over that puppy. Except in AE CS3. The Q6600 in AE is very smooth and if you are using DV it will be as close to RT(depending on your video card) as you are going to get. HD is another story.
    So your saying that Edius running on a 3.3Ghz Core2Duo is "much" faster than a Quad-Core 3.01Ghz? We are only taking about 10% more in clock speed even if Edius is only using 2-Cores, I would think the speed difference is would be very small. Can it be a lack of memory bandwidth with 4-Cores?

I know that AE is a much more advanced editing software than Edius, but we are spoiled with Edius' RT performance. ;)

...Angelo
    Last edited by Angelo; 09-10-2007, 08:16 PM.
    Canopus/GV: DVStorm2 w/component-out board, ADVC300, Edius 4.61, ProCoder 3.05, Imaginate2
    System: MSI B75A-G43 (v2.0), i7-3770K, 4GB, HD6850, Pyro1394 pci-e, 6 Disks 2.4TB non-raid, Win7-32bit, Dell 24" & 19" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Angelo View Post
      So your saying that Edius running on a 3.3Ghz Core2Duo is "much" faster than a Quad-Core 3.01Ghz? We are only taking about 10% more in clock speed even if Edius is only using 2-Cores, I would think the speed difference is would be very small. Can it be a lack of memory bandwidth with 4-Cores?

I know that AE is a much more advanced editing software than Edius, but we are spoiled with Edius' RT performance. ;)

...Angelo
      From my experience - the quads are waaaay better than the Duos. I moved from an E6600 (overclocked to 3.2) to a quad (overclocked to 3.0) and the difference in real time is phenomenal. As a test I had 3 HQ clips on the time line with colour correction. Two of them had chromakeys to them and I had the thrid sandwiched between them with a 3D PIP moving across the screen. This plays back in real time!

The E6600 would throw up on a PIP on a colour corrected chromakey.

Also on playing back if you look at the task manager - you will see all four cores crunching away. Premier does not even come close to using 4 cores as much as Edius does. (I tried the same test on CS3 to see how much CPU it uses - and it was minimal - and of course no RT - but then thats not a surprise...

- My two cents

Comment

That's a BIG difference in performance from the E6600 to Q6600. From zero PIP to 1 PIP with 3 HQ files in RT.

...Angelo
        Last edited by Angelo; 09-12-2007, 02:05 AM.
        Canopus/GV: DVStorm2 w/component-out board, ADVC300, Edius 4.61, ProCoder 3.05, Imaginate2
        System: MSI B75A-G43 (v2.0), i7-3770K, 4GB, HD6850, Pyro1394 pci-e, 6 Disks 2.4TB non-raid, Win7-32bit, Dell 24" & 19" LCD

Comment

Take a look at this review. I found it very interesting http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Q6600/index.php
          Software:
          Edius 8.5 Workgroup
          NewBlue FX
          Hitfilm Ignite
          Vitascene 2
          Newblue TitleMotion Pro
          Smartsound 5.8

Desktop:
          MSI Z170A M5 Motherboard, i7 6700K 4Ghz, 32GB DDR4, NVIDIA 970 4Gb, 240GB Boot SDD, 500Gb Video SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Laptop:
          MSI GS60, 4K UHD, Intel i7, 16Gb DDR3, Nvidia 970M 3Gb, Windows 10 64bit

Cameras:
          Panasonic HC-VX870 4K
          GoPro Hero4 Black
          Panasonic GX8 (Stills & Video)
          Garmin Virb 360

Comment

Thank goodness someone else has been listening to what I am saying, thanks LALX. Go the the task bar, right click, select Task Manager from the menu and watch those four sine waves working away.

Comment

Working...
            X