Corrupt file crashes Edius 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupt file crashes Edius 6

It seems to me that if Edius doesn't like a clip it should just say so and not get up and leave the party!

Instead of crashing Edius why can it not inform me that the file is not OK for Edius?

I even downloaded the AVCHDtoHQ converter and tried to save the files that way. No joy.

I did a search looking for similar posts but found none.
    Edius 8 Workgroup, Intel 3770K, Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard, 32GB DDR3 1600 ram, SSD for C, external Raid box with WE RE4 1TB drives Raid 0 for video assets. Overclocked 4.3ghz, Asus GTX 660 ti, water cooled system. Windows 10 Professional 64bit

Originally posted by burnandreturn View Post
    It seems to me that if Edius doesn't like a clip it should just say so and not get up and leave the party!

Instead of crashing Edius why can it not inform me that the file is not OK for Edius?

I even downloaded the AVCHDtoHQ converter and tried to save the files that way. No joy.

I did a search looking for similar posts but found none.
    It could be a case of certain issues only get found once Edius hits the file in the timeline. When Edius, like any other NLE, does an initial file import. I think it only checks certain aspects of the file in order to get it into the bin ASAP with the minimum of fuss.

If Edius or any NLE done a deep scan as it where of all the media it was imorting, it would take considerably longer to import. Imagine this happening on many hundreds or thousands of files in one go. Similar issues have been complained about in the past, such as caching waveform data etc. To which GV have reacted. Not sure how practical it is though, to push deep scanning of media data into a background task like certain other processes do.

The other thing to consider is that a lot of these files that get complained about, may just be wrong. As in, it is not uncommon for manufactures to implement their own take on how things should be encoded and packaged, as opposed to true standards. Take AVCHD or H264 for instance and how it gets implemented. Neither of these technologies was ever designed in the first place as an editing codec. Just like any other Inter frame codec, they where designed for maximum compression efficiency for final delivery. The fact that Edius or anything else can use these technologies as an editing codec is really a minor miracle. Add to this the packaging of H264 inside containers such as MOV, and the potential for mayhem is further componded.

On the other hand, I have never had or heard of any such issues with Intra frame codecs such as HQ or HQX. Or for that matter, other Inter frame solutions with proper standards such as Sony's use of long gop MPEG2 in their EX formats etc. Again, I have never had a bad file from any Sony device using this technology.

Bottom line from my point of view at least, is that I think Edius does a brilliant job of handling these less than perfect formats, and maybe it's the camera manufacturers that need to get their act together.
    Last edited by David Harry; 05-19-2012, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I have observed that corrupt AVCHD files (from a Sony AX2000 in my case) when on the timeline, will crash EDIUS when the play cursor reaches the bad point in the file. It has happened in both the AVCHD writer, and preview play. The Win error points to the same module (I forget which one), but it could be from a third party library, not native Edius code.

The bad clip appear normal on the time line, including the audio waveform, and it appears that one can position the cursor on either side of the bad point in the clip as lont as one does nto try play/export through the bad point.

My preferred behavior would be for Edius to trap the error and report it with out abnormal termination to Windows, and I have passed that to Tech Support and to a moderators here.

In my case, the bad clips were apparently the result of a failing SDHC card.

Comment

Working...
      X