Extracting AVCHD files the right way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extracting AVCHD files the right way

I got AVCHD files on an external HDD from a client. I don't know how he extracted them, using Panasonic software or just doing copy\paste.

All the files are .MTS extensions, and are numbered 00000.MTS - 00102.MTS.

I dragged them to the timeline and noticed a strange thing...
    Some clips are just repeats of the event that are in previous clips! Say there are 12 minutes of songs in clip 00050. Clip 00053 are the some songs! This problem repeats itself about 5 times during the whole event. How is this possible? Can this be the result of using copy\paste and not designated software to extract the files to the computer?
    Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 40TB Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 10 PRO 64-bit Edius 9.5 WORKSTATION...

While the filename points to a copy & paste workflow, with my Sony cam I never had problems with repeating footage like you mentioned.

After using the intended software for transfer it did the job much faster and giving it unike filenames to you never run into trouble.

I'm afraid that after extraction from the cam it might not be possible to 1) change the file name automatically. 2) the issue with repeat image I can only think of spanned clips that were divided in the camera and now wrongly copied with copy and paste.

While I have never tried Panasonic software, maybe it's worth to install that to a not critical pc and let it make it's data base with its features.
    When completed export the data base with new names to another folder on that HDD or use another storage medium and edit from there.
    It could fix you unusable footage now, but no guarantee.
    Tony D.

EDIUS WG 9.54 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / 2x Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.
    EDIUS WG 8.53 / HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.
    wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate / affinity

Comment

Just did a copy and past from a panasonic this weekend, Edius Browser just spat the dummy, would not look at the camera so copy & paste pulled all the files over with no problem.
      All were around 7 to 30 seconds so there was no file splitting

Regards Barry
      Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
      GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
      Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
      Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

I guess it's when you have long files that are split in the camera that can cause this.
        Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH, Intel Core i7 3770k 3.5GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, 500GB SSD HDD for OS, 40TB Usable Hard Drive Capacity, Window 10 PRO 64-bit Edius 9.5 WORKSTATION...

Comment

It could be the problem, it is strange that some cameras cause a lot of problems
          I am glad i standardised on Canon, so far which ever way I import works and the quality of the video from their lenses is superb
          Even though Edius Browser spat the dummy, AVCHD2HQ was able to convert the files with no problems, it would be interesting to see if is stiches long Panasonic files correctly as it does with Canon and Sony, both tested and confirmed, pity it does not like the H264/AVC files from a GOPRO but at least they can be stitched and converted in Browser

Regards Barry
          Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
          GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
          Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
          Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

I've had duplicated files using drag and drop from a Sony - also the spanned clips never join correctly, neither audio or video - using the correct Sony PMB software in this instance creates perfectly seamed clips as well as never any duplicates.

Paul :-)
            Edius Edits at: http://www.vimeo.com/user781619/videos

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

I've found that spanned clips can be joined using concatination (e.g., the DOS COPY Command with the /B parameter). If not concatinated but just copies and then dropped on a time line a frame or two maybe missing at the junction. Works for an NTFS system.

Any clues as to what is happening in the duplicte files? The file sizes may give an indications. One may end up being a concatination of several others.

Comment

The client is the one who transferred the clips to the computer and he told me that he did actually just copy paste. I explained to him how to do it in the future and charged him $30 for the extra work I had to do. He was happy so I am too.

Comment

I have had this depending on how the clips are copied. Some software is clever enough to look at the original media and work out which are spanned and then join them into one file when copying. Other software just copies the files.
                  EDIUS using the source browser will join clips as it copies, for example.
                  I have had an occasion that when loading clips EDIUS sees clip 1, and knows that clip 2 & 3 are continuations of a long capture so it in the bin clip one ends up as a combination of clips 1, 2 & 3. But it also loads clips 2 &3 as well, so you end up with one long clip, as well as the additional bits. I basically delete the extras from the bin and just use the long clip. Just make sure you don't delete the MTS files.
                  EDIUS silver certified trainer.
                  Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
                  Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
                  Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by David Clarke View Post
                    I have had this depending on how the clips are copied. Some software is clever enough to look at the original media and work out which are spanned and then join them into one file when copying. Other software just copies the files.
                    I have had an occasion that when loading clips EDIUS sees clip 1, and knows that clip 2 & 3 are continuations of a long capture so it in the bin clip one ends up as a combination of clips 1, 2 & 3. But it also loads clips 2 &3 as well, so you end up with one long clip, as well as the additional bits. I basically delete the extras from the bin and just use the long clip. Just make sure you don't delete the MTS files.
                    David, I have files from Sony nx5u and the audio is missing for 16 frames at the end of each clip. The video is fine but audio is gone. Any explanations? I tried source browser, Sony Content Management and copy and paste methods. Nothing seems to work.
                    Thanks,
                    Ara

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit, Edius WG 9.55.7303, Edius X WG 10.20.7490 Intel Z370X Motherboard, i7-8700K 4.7 GHz 6 core, 12 Thread LGA-1151 CPU, GTX-1080 8GB Graphics card, 500GB M.2 PCIe NVM SSD, 16 TB Raid 0 Media Drive, 32 GB DDR4 Memory, Intensity Pro 4K AV I/O, CS 5.51 Production Suite.

Comment

Originally posted by ajcvideo View Post
                      David, I have files from Sony nx5u and the audio is missing for 16 frames at the end of each clip. The video is fine but audio is gone. Any explanations? I tried source browser, Sony Content Management and copy and paste methods. Nothing seems to work.
                      Did you transfer the files from the camera or were they given to you? As you can see all my cameras are Sony's including the NX5U and have never seen this problem. The consumer PMB will transfer all files from the cameras even the NX5U but will not play the PCM audio files from the NX5U. I use the appropriate transfer software for the cameras and have never had any problems. All my stuff is long shows of around 2 hours so all cameras have split files for transfer.

Ron Evans
                      Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18

Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Evans View Post
                        Did you transfer the files from the camera or were they given to you? As you can see all my cameras are Sony's including the NX5U and have never seen this problem. The consumer PMB will transfer all files from the cameras even the NX5U but will not play the PCM audio files from the NX5U. I use the appropriate transfer software for the cameras and have never had any problems. All my stuff is long shows of around 2 hours so all cameras have split files for transfer.

Ron Evans
                        Ron. These are files on cards from the customer and I have the camera as well. The audio is AC3 not PCM. The appropriate software for this camera can be found where? With customer or on Sony website? If you have it could you send it to me?
                        Thanks,
                        Ara

Windows 10 Home 64 Bit, Edius WG 9.55.7303, Edius X WG 10.20.7490 Intel Z370X Motherboard, i7-8700K 4.7 GHz 6 core, 12 Thread LGA-1151 CPU, GTX-1080 8GB Graphics card, 500GB M.2 PCIe NVM SSD, 16 TB Raid 0 Media Drive, 32 GB DDR4 Memory, Intensity Pro 4K AV I/O, CS 5.51 Production Suite.

Comment

Originally posted by ajcvideo View Post
                          Ron. These are files on cards from the customer and I have the camera as well. The audio is AC3 not PCM. The appropriate software for this camera can be found where? With customer or on Sony website? If you have it could you send it to me?
                          I use the CMU for the NX5U and the PMB for the consumer cameras. The version I have for the NX5U CMU is http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-n...tUtility.shtml.

If you have the camera then use that to transfer from rather than a card reader. That's how I did it when I tried it. Don't use cards now as I have the FMU128 which is much easier to use and faster transfer rate too. Will transfer 2 hours in about 8 mins.

Ron Evans
                          Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18

Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

I Have Sony NX5 and i transfer my clips from a card-reader to my pc, and then i use them in the bin of edius 6 and i have the same problem with repeating parts of the clips as David clark says. So the correct way do not happen this is to use the Sony software and do not use the card-reader?
                            Edius 6.08 and Edius7pro,Intel Core i7 2600(1155/3,40GHz/8m), SSD OCZ 120GB SATA II, 2 HHD WD SATA III 2TB 64MB ,
                            16 GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz, MB Gigabyte H67MA-USB3-B3,
                            VGA PCI-X Sapphire 6950 2GB, Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

Comment

Originally posted by David Clarke View Post
                              I believe the problem is that you highlight all of the clips when telling EDIUS to load them. Highlight only the first clip of the series and EDIUS will load just the full long spanned file. It will not also load additional copies of the secondary clips.
                              Fred D
                              Win 7 Pro-64 bit, EDIUS Workgroup 8.5, Intel Ivy Bridge i5, ASUS P8Z77-V-LK, 8GB Kningston DDR3, Pioneer BDR-209UBK, EVGA NVIDEA GEForce GT630, Corsair TX750M 750w Power Supply, 4 WD Black HDD for 3.15TB, ACEDVIO, Spark HD, eSATA controller, ANTEC 300 case.

Comment

Working...
                              X