Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raven
    • May 2007

Edius Pro 3.6 / DVX-E1(W) Capture Problem

I am getting an irregular pop-up error: 'Hardware Error' when capturing DV with Edius Pro 3.6 It does not matter what camera is used, 4 different ones have been tested so far. Capture can be successful for as long as the tape lasts and on another day it may be as short as 2 minutes before the error occurs. Capture from a JVC combi player (miniDV / SVHS) works fine everytime. Strange?

Asus P5GDC-V Deluxe
    Dual Core Pentium 4 3.0 GHz
    Asus 6600 GT 128MB VGA
    2 x 1024 MB DDR2 PC667 Memory
    2 x 2 x PATA 400GB Raid 1 (2 Voumes)
    2 x 2 x SATA-II 250GB Raid 1 (2 Volumes)
    Canopus DVX-E1 (W) with latest Firmware
    Windows XP Pro SP2

It's not easy finding other DVX users, I am the only one using this setup?
    If I am not alone, has anybody else experienced this problem?
  • GrassValley_KH
    Mr Sparkle
    • Apr 2007

Given the specs on the system, it sounds fine enough to capture DV! So my next step would be to see if capturing via the onboard FireWire port on the motherboard helps at all.

Try and isolate the board vs the software.

PS. Is it 3.60 that you're running?

Comment

• Raven
      • May 2007

Originally posted by GrassValley_KH
      ..So my next step would be to see if capturing via the onboard FireWire port on the motherboard helps at all.

Try and isolate the board vs the software.

PS. Is it 3.60 that you're running?
      Thanks for the reply and yes it is Version 3.6 I have had the onboard firewire disabled in BIOS ever since building the machine, I will give it a try as soon as I can. Once tested I will post the results.

-Tony

Comment

• Raven
        • May 2007

Originally posted by Raven
        Thanks for the reply and yes it is Version 3.6 I have had the onboard firewire disabled in BIOS ever since building the machine, I will give it a try as soon as I can. Once tested I will post the results.

-Tony
        Sorry for the delay. The first attempt via onboard firewire failed giving broken (intermittent) audio and video which I fixed by using the MS Hotfix for Firewire with XP SP2. I then captured 59 minutes using the onboard firewire with excellent results. Next test was done using the DVX but failed after less than two minutes with "Hardware Error" The same test was carried out with the onboard firewire de-activated in BIOS - failed with the same error message after 27 minutes.

I have noticed there is a difference in preview picture quality between the two. The onboard firewire provides an excellent preview picture even when showing really jerky pans. With DVX, there seems to be a line that wanders slowly down the preview window and becomes really apparent when scenes with fast left-right panning is shown. This doesn't change even when using various render settings from edius config. The output material does not have this effect in it so must be a cosmetic problem.

I have three PCI slots on this board, one of which cannot be used because the graphic card is too fat for the DVX to sit next to it. Tests using the other PCI slot did not bring any changes. There are no devices in the device manager noted as being a problem.

RMA action is about to take place but maybe there is something else I can check out just in case this is a computer problem and not a DVX problem.

Comment

• Mr Bill
          • May 2007

I used to get the same error and found that 'DVCapture' did the job without the error.

Try and use 'DVCapture' to capture your footage.
          See how that goes . . .

You can download it from the Canopus site.
          Need to be registered to do so.
          GESTOS PRODUCTIONS
          www.gpvideo.com.au

Comment

• Raven
            • May 2007

Originally posted by Mr Bill
            I used to get the same error and found that 'DVCapture' did the job without the error.

Try and use 'DVCapture' to capture your footage.
            See how that goes . . .

You can download it from the Canopus site.
            Need to be registered to do so.
            I have tried DVCapture and that worked okay for as long as we could test it, about 40 minutes in all, however, we don't get a proper reat-time preview from it - is that normal? My aim is to use the card and the software it came with rather than using workarounds.

Was your preview with DVCapture in real-time Mr Bill?

Comment

• Mr Bill
              • May 2007

My aim is to use the card and the software it came with rather than using workarounds.
              I agree !
              Especially frustrating for me when l want to use 'batchcapture' and the 'Hardware Error' message pops up after so long.
              This doesn't happen always, but now l don't even bother capturing DV through Edius.
              Capturing through the S-Video back connection (for Analog footage) never brings up the error message.

On the flip side l am happy that there's a workaround for getting the job done as well. At least for straight DV capture.

Was your preview with DVCapture in real-time Mr Bill?
              It was showing a frame of footage every second or so,
              so it looked like a slow strobe effect.

Did not capture that way, just the preview window while capturing.
              Never bothered me as the final captured file was always perfect.

I'm currently running 3.6, not 3.62 beta.
              GESTOS PRODUCTIONS
              www.gpvideo.com.au

Comment

• Raven
                • May 2007

I agree !....
                It was showing a frame of footage every second or so,
                so it looked like a slow strobe effect.....
                Thanks for the swift reply, I was begining to think I was the only one in the world with this problem. Your description of DVCapture's preview fits mine.

I'm currently running 3.6, not 3.62 beta.
                I am only using this version as I was recommended to try it by Canopus Support (Germany) after doing a firmware update. I made sure that the computer was (self-)built using components on the list of supported hardware, only to be told later by a/m that the 6600GT has a flaw in it.

Comment

• Raven
                  • May 2007

It's not easy finding other DVX users, I am the only one using this setup?
                  If I am not alone, has anybody else experienced this problem?
                  I don't like bumping things as a rule but has anyone else received a pop-up message 'Hardware Error' with a DVX setup? Canopus / GV Techs, please can you shed some light on this issue?

Thanks

Comment

• GrassValley_KH
                    Mr Sparkle
                    • Apr 2007

I'm not the biggest expert on the DVX, so all I can suggest are the usual remedies, such as:

- change PCI slots
                    - check you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard's chipset

Remember, the most direct form of support will be to contact your (German) GV office. It may turn out that the DVX board has a fault, and can be RMA'ed.

Comment

• Raven
                      • May 2007

Thanks for your input Mr. Sparkle,

I have tried other slots, the BIOS is the latest available version. I have put the machine back to the state it was in when first built to shut out software glitches etc. More than 4 weeks trying and testing has been put into this problem. All to no avail and so I RMA'd the board to GV / Canopus (Germany) on 12 June 2007 - no answer from them - yet.

I was thinking more on the line: A programmer / tech from Canopus must have included this message when the card was being developed and as such would know under what circumstances this error would appear - knowing what that circumstance is may give clues as to where the problem is. As it is at the moment I have no clue as to wether the DVX or Mainboard has a Hardware Error. Seeing though it is an error from Edius I would assume it means the DVX.

Comment

• Zorro
                        • May 2007

There has been a firmware update for the DVX recently. This may have been the cure you're looking for.

Comment

• Raven
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by Zorro
                          There has been a firmware update for the DVX recently. This may have been the cure you're looking for.
                          Hi Zorro,

I did a Firmware update in March 2007, it was sent to me by support (Germany) The first capture attempt after updating returned a Hardware Error ;(
                          The firmware file was dated 20 Dec 2006 - do you know of a more recent version?

Comment

• Raven
                            • May 2007

Updated situation.

I got the DVX board back from Canopus Support on Friday, same board as I sent, no word of anything about it's condition or if they even tested it, no comments whatsoever. This is a customer's board and we requested a free upgrade to Edius 4 which was duly sent in the same box, thank you. I have tried contacting them but the phone was permanently engaged. Will try again tomorrow.

I have completely stripped the machine, re-built it and re-installed XP Pro. Edius has been installed (Version 4.02 German) and I have been capturing for 2 days now without problem. Switching from a Sony camera on OHCI and a Panasonic on the DVX-E1 and then swapping them over as well. All without problem, no defragmentation, no judders, no crashes - simply wonderful.

I then thought all was okay so the last task was to capture a miniDV cassette of 55 minutes. At about 45 miniutes I go a pop-up error "Hardware Fehler (Error) Code 0X870303EA" and then the preview window was just a mess.

The capture was broken into a file of almost 45 minutes and a few with just 1 frame in each.

Can somebody please tell me what this error code means and why does it occur?

Comment

• Raven
                              • May 2007

Can somebody please tell me what this error code means and why does it occur?
                              As the old saying says: "If you want something done well, then do it yourself" and so I have. I have found out what the produces the error message and can now capture without any problems at all. The message means that DVX has detected an error in the data stream. Unfortunately, all the miniDV's given to me for testing the DVX suffered from data corruption due to a faulty DV-Raptor card which was used to write the tapes. The corruption was so minute that it was only seen when switching to and from upper/lower fields.

Took a long time finding the problem but got there finally.

Comment

Working...