X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Windows backup of Edius 6.06 files

Hi I am new in this forum and I hope that somebody of you can help me here

First of all some general remarks about my environment:
    I use 3 Clients in 3 differnt locations for my projects.
    There are 2 drives with dedicated folders used
    - C:\ (for the programm itself)
    - D:\01 Basisdaten (for the projectfiles including the rendered files)
    - D:\02 Special (for internal data - not in the projects)
    - D:\03 Bearbeitet (for mediafiles that are changed from the original)
    - D:\04 Fertig (for the finished media files)
    - D:\05 Original (for the original media files)

During the usage of Edius 5.5x I used Microsoft Synctoy to backup all the data on a separate external drive (one project is about 1,5 TB Files). The benefit was that only the changed Media and projectfiles where changed in the backup. This external Harddrive was used to transfer the changes to the two other Computers. It worked perfectly until EDIUS 6. This all worked within 30 Minutes

If I do this now all the projects have offline files and also the rendered data is lost. I want to avoid to use the built in mechanisms of edius because of the amount of data. I tried it and it needed about 1 full day to have all the computers in line - so this is not acceptable.

My question is now, does somebody of you have any experience with this?

You should know that I already checked the data-integrity and the informations like date and so on. probably somebody of you has an idea what is the real problem.

I am looking for a practicable solution where I can switch from one location to another without long data restore time.

I would really be glad if you could help me

the newbe
    pcdoedel

(It has been reported and complained about)

the reason is found, but have no idea if it can be made public
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

If anyone can help Anton can and he has answered. Maybe GV themselves will come back, they are good.

In the meantime if you have another vacant PC put 5xx back on and work with that for the time being at least you know that works.

Comment

Thanks, but if there is no way at the moment I have no chance to switch back to 5.5 because I would also loose all the work I already did. That I am not happy with this situation is clear. So I have to organize it in another way - means take vacation to be able to work only on one PC. But this will be the last project in this way. This is not my profession - so I have only limited time possibilities.

I hope that there will be a solution very soon. My next project will start Mid of august and so probably I will downgrade for that time to 5.5 even if the other project is not finished up to then.

For sure I would have more computers but Full-HD projects with 5 cameras need a good performance :-) and so only the most powerful ones are used.

Comment

can you relink the offline files? select all and then browse for the new drive, it should fix all in one hit

if not, than it is up to GV support if they are willing to give you a way around the problem
          Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

the problem is not only that all files must be relinked (needs a long time until all are relinked) but the bigger problem is that all rendered files do not fit - so everything must be rerendered

Comment

Originally posted by pcdoedel View Post
              the problem is not only that all files must be relinked (needs a long time until all are relinked) but the bigger problem is that all rendered files do not fit - so everything must be rerendered
              why a long time? you can restore all offline files in one hit, providing they are in the same new location

render files won't be restored unless GV support will tell you a workaround
              Anton Strauss

Comment

the computer needs up to half an hour until the relink is finished and as I told the rendered part is completely missed. And the complete project is based on 43 Project files

Comment

contact GV support, they may give you the workaround

I can't give it to you because it requires an illegal operation
                  Anton Strauss

Comment

Many thanks for your help - I will try it (once more :-) )

Comment

I use SyncToy twice daily and with E6 it works perfectly.

Imo, ALL project-associated files belong in a single folder!
                      SyncToy performs flawlessly and all projects are copied as expected on multiple machines.
                      This is another excellent argument against sprinkling files willy-nilly on drives.
                      Yes, you may occasionally be forced to create duplicate files on the same drive. But to have projects move intact is worth it!
                      Rusty Rogers | Films
                      >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
                      >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
                      Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                        I use SyncToy twice daily and with E6 it works perfectly.

Imo, ALL project-associated files belong in a single folder!
                        SyncToy performs flawlessly and all projects are copied as expected on multiple machines.
                        This is another excellent argument against sprinkling files willy-nilly on drives.
                        Yes, you may occasionally be forced to create duplicate files on the same drive. But to have projects move intact is worth it!
                        the problem is that EDIUS6 does not like you to change drives, even if the duplicate drive is exactly the same, all files will end up as offline when you open a project from the duplicate drive :)
                        Anton Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by pcdoedel View Post
                          the computer needs up to half an hour until the relink is finished and as I told the rendered part is completely missed. And the complete project is based on 43 Project files
                          Can you please contact tech-support for your region?
                          Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
                          EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

Thanks - the connect is already done immediatly after my last entry

Comment

Working...
                            X