fixing audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing audio

shot a reception with my ex last weekend and the audio is hot, i had limiter set on and tha agc on. havent had it happen before. anyone up on any good audio programs that may help. i read the the noise reduction filter on sound forge could improve the audio, any input greatly welcomed

Jim, it depends how bad the distortion is.

Sound Forge and other some other audio programs have a Clipped Peak Restoration Plug-In. This plug-in can rebuild waveforms that have their peaks cut off, but there are limits to how successful this can be.

From the Sony manual: "Clipped Peak Restoration should only be used for material in which clipping is minimal. Heavily distorted material with areas where almost all peaks are clipped is often unsalvageable."

If you don't already have Sony Sound Forge, try a Google search for other audio programs that might have this function.
    Last edited by John Hooper; 03-14-2012, 11:38 AM.
    Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Comment

Audition has some capabilities in this area. (Not sure if Adobe change it from what was in the earlier releases as part of their restructuring in recent releases.)

Comment

Can second here, Audition has some good filter sets for noise reduction!
        Andreas Gumm
        post production / authoring
        PC 1Intel Core i7-970 (6 x 3.20 GHz),
        ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 12 GB RAM, Geforce 9800GT
        Windows 7 Ultimate,
        GV software: EDIUS 7.42, VisTitle v2.5,
        GV hardware: 3G Storm
        software SONY DoStudio Indie + EX 4.0.11
        PC 2
        Intel Core i7-3770, GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H F14, 16GB RAM,
        Geforce 650 GTX, 5x HDD, Windows 7,
        GV software: EDIUS 7.42, ProCoder 3.0
        GV hardware: HD SPARK
        software: Telestream Switch, DTS-HD MAS, Dolby Media Meter

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas_Gumm View Post
          Can second here, Audition has some good filter sets for noise reduction!
          Unless Audition has a suitable process for reducing distortion, noise reduction is not what Jim needs in this case.
          Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Comment

It depends how bad it is. Sound Forge or Audition would
            serve you well. I have the latest Audition, CS5.5, as well as
            1,2, and 3.
            Jerry
            Six Gill DV
            www.sgdvtutorials.com
            If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
            http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
            Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Don't know what your budget is but take a look at RX2 from Izotope.
              Don't remember if there is a demo.

I have used it on some client audio and it worked very nice.

I did also send the audio to Samplitude for some sweeting. The restoration is a multiple step process.
              Steve

Get the Latest version of EDIUS:
              EDIUS Download (grassvalley.com)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Comment

what version of izotope would i get, theres alot of different cmbos, would i get izotope ozone 5? is rx2 a totally separate software and thats what i would get?

Comment

trying to dl the trial of rx2 from their site,after download says file not commonly downloaded and asks if i want to abort or run anyway. is this safe???

Comment

Don't know what the issue is but I never had any problems with download from Izotope.
                    Have to warn you tho RX2 is not a point and click app.

It is a very very powerful audio Restoration app but you have to read the manual....
                    Steve

Get the Latest version of EDIUS:
                    EDIUS Download (grassvalley.com)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Comment

I would have slap the crap out of my ex if she let the audio gets hot like that, next time bring your current wife and not your ex.
                      BTW all my ex live in Texas.:-)
                      I7-6900K, X99 Taichi, Geforce GTX 1070, Corsair RM850X, Corsair H100 IV2, Windows 10, Edius WG 9.30

Comment

Jim,

Can you post a small section of the audio that has the distortion? About 10 seconds would be enough to test.

I would be willing to put it into Sound Forge for you to see if it is salvageable

If it is beyond repair, it could save you the trouble of learning a new piece of software.

Comment

Audition calls it "Clip Restoration." From the user manual: "Adobe Audition’s Clip Restoration filter can remove the evil occurrences of clipping from your waveform. It does this by actually “filling in” the clipped segments of the waveform."

The program offers sevaral parameters to tailor the correction process.

BTW all my ex live in Texas.:-)
                          It a shame to have them so close.

Comment

heres the file

heres the bad audio

Comment

bad audio

wouldnt load file, says invalid, its a 1.8mb wav file.

Comment

Working...
                              X