Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning to bluray & artifact issues

Hi all,
    Well this is my first post here on these forums since i started to use Edius as my editor. I have to say i do like lots about the software. One of the things that made me crossgrade was the ability to burn a bluray directly from the timeline.
    I tried this just the other night, but with mixed results. While the burning all went well, the quality was hit & miss. Specifically, the video i burnt was a mix of Canon HF G10 & GoPro2 footage. The footage from the Canon looks pretty good, the only thing that lets it down in on high speed shots where there is artifacting around the person skiing against the background. The GoPro2 footage however is really bad & looks like it is SD footage at the very best! There is so much artifacting that it looks terrible. The funny thing is that the same film exported to mpeg2 looks awesome with no artifacting what so ever!
    Should i be rendering the film to a different codec first before i output it to bluray or is there some other way to make this work better on bluray?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bryce
    Edius 8.53. Windows 10 Pro 64bit. Core i7 6700K CPU. 32Gb ram. Nividia GeForce GTX1060 graphics card. MoBo: ASUS Z170 A.

Did you use the detailed (manually) bitrate settings for audio & video?
    Use VBR with avg bitrate determined by CBR auto settings & then increase the max bitrate to the maximum!

Another way is export the timeline to H264/BluRay! In can set more detailed settings in 'save' dialog window!
    After that you can load the clip in 'Burn To Disc' dialog without to re-encode it!
    Last edited by Andreas_Gumm; 03-08-2012, 06:24 PM.
    Andreas Gumm
    post production / authoring
    PC 1Intel Core i7-970 (6 x 3.20 GHz),
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 12 GB RAM, Geforce 9800GT
    Windows 7 Ultimate,
    GV software: EDIUS 7.42, VisTitle v2.5,
    GV hardware: 3G Storm
    software SONY DoStudio Indie + EX 4.0.11
    PC 2
    Intel Core i7-3770, GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H F14, 16GB RAM,
    Geforce 650 GTX, 5x HDD, Windows 7,
    GV software: EDIUS 7.42, ProCoder 3.0
    GV hardware: HD SPARK
    software: Telestream Switch, DTS-HD MAS, Dolby Media Meter

Comment

Are you mixing 60i and 30p footage?
      Is the GoPro set in HD mode?

Comment

Thanks for the tips, i will have to have a look into upping the bitrate & see if that corrects it. One of my concerns is that the footage is so different between the two. They are both shot in 30p at their highest bitrate capture settings but the two cameras are very different when output to bluray. When i output it to an mpeg file, the quality seemed equal, that's why i am wondering what is going on when it is burnt to a bluray disc. Obviously each of the two different types of footage from the two cameras is handled differently when put to disc. I am new to Edius, so it is possibly something i am doing wrong. It actually took me quite a while to figure out that i needed to have the project settings at 60i instead of the 30p to even put it out to disc!
        Bryce
        Edius 8.53. Windows 10 Pro 64bit. Core i7 6700K CPU. 32Gb ram. Nividia GeForce GTX1060 graphics card. MoBo: ASUS Z170 A.

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas_Gumm View Post
          Did you use the detailed (manually) bitrate settings for audio & video?
          Use VBR with avg bitrate determined by CBR auto settings & then increase the max bitrate to the maximum!

Another way is export the timeline to H264/BluRay! In can set more detailed settings in 'save' dialog window!
          After that you can load the clip in 'Burn To Disc' dialog without to re-encode it!
          Hi Andreas,
          you talk about using the detailed settings for the bitrate, i have been looking for this but have not found it. Can you, or anyone else for that matter, point me to where i can find & change these settings. I have looked through the manual, but am unable to find it.

Regards,

Bryce

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsaddict View Post
            Hi Andreas,
            you talk about using the detailed settings for the bitrate, i have been looking for this but have not found it. Can you, or anyone else for that matter, point me to where i can find & change these settings. I have looked through the manual, but am unable to find it.

Regards,

Bryce
            in the movie tab of DVD creator
            http://www.videoproductions.com.au/a...VDburner04.png
            Anton Strauss
            Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Thanks Anton! So setting the max bitrate to 22.8 is that just so it will play on any player? I see the settings go up to a max 38! While i see a distinct difference between the footage from the Canon & the GoPro, i also see some artifacting from the Canon cam around the skiers & boarders as they move quickly past the background. I have seen this in other BluRay's i have, so maybe it's the nature of the beast??
              Anyway, i will play around with the settings now that i know where to find them, & see what i can do to improve the footage. On another note, is there any way with Edius that you can burn a BluRay compliant file to DVD? I had bought Pinnacle Studio to do just that, but it's a bit of a clunky consumer program & i'd rather stick with Edius.

Thanks,

Bryce

Comment

to get Blu-ray with no motion artifacts, don't use the built in tool which encodes to H264

I use mpeg2 HD elementary streams, great quality, fast encodes, no artifacts
                http://www.videoproductions.com.au/h...ay-export.html

you can then load the ES streams into a Blu-ray authoring tool of your choice
                Anton Strauss
                Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                  to get Blu-ray with no motion artifacts, don't use the built in tool which encodes to H264

I use mpeg2 HD elementary streams, great quality, fast encodes, no artifacts
                  http://www.videoproductions.com.au/h...ay-export.html

you can then load the ES streams into a Blu-ray authoring tool of your choice
                  Hi Anton,
                  Thanks for you're help with this. Do you have any suggestions as to which authoring tool to use? I only have Cyberlink powerproducer, but when i tried burning with it, i was not able to change any settings, & the resultant video was the worst yet!

Thanks,
                  Bryce

Comment

Hmm, this is really getting a bit frustrating! So i've been trying all the different suggestions & settings, but it seems nothing i am doing is improving the quality of the BluRay discs. The Mpeg files are great & will play with no discernable artifacting! As soon as i burn to BluRay though, the quality goes to the doghouse!
                    Has anyone else had these issues & managed to solve them?

Regards,

Bryce

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsaddict View Post
                      I only have Cyberlink powerproducer, the resultant video was the worst yet!
                      Try the 14 day free trial with Anton's Mpeg2HD settings and be amazed :)
                      Tony D.

EDIUS WG 9.54 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / 2x Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.
                      EDIUS WG 8.53 / HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.
                      wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate / affinity

Comment

I don't think you are following directions right, if you are following Anton's directions, you should be encoding from Edius using MPEG 2 elementary, then there is no settings to be change, just import that file into your authoring program and burn it to disc, Edius already encoded the file for you, just author it and burn, or maybe you can upload a few seconds of the problem camera and let me encode it and see if there is a problem.
                        I7-6900K, X99 Taichi, Geforce GTX 1070, Corsair RM850X, Corsair H100 IV2, Windows 10, Edius WG 9.30

Comment

Originally posted by Khoi Pham View Post
                          there is no settings to be change, just import that file into your authoring program and burn it to disc
                          Not all authoring programs do except files without re-encoding.
                          Tony D.

EDIUS WG 9.54 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / 2x Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.
                          EDIUS WG 8.53 / HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundFreak_HD View Post
                            Not all authoring programs do except files without re-encoding.
                            Then you should never use that authoring program, why spend the time to encode twice and then even loose more quality.
                            I7-6900K, X99 Taichi, Geforce GTX 1070, Corsair RM850X, Corsair H100 IV2, Windows 10, Edius WG 9.30

Comment

Originally posted by Khoi Pham View Post
                              Then you should never use that authoring program, why spend the time to encode twice and then even loose more quality.
                              Hence the trail link to find out if it's worth to drop cyberl ........
                              Tony D.

Comment

Working...
                              X