Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the quicktime exporter multithreaded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the quicktime exporter multithreaded?

Anyone know if the quicktime exporter in Edius 6 (6.5?) is optimized for multiple cores?

I'm using Neo 2 and that exporter definitely isn't. I've been looking to upgrade for a while and this would definitely be the feature that brings out my credit card.

...sorry for the apparent cross post from the Neo forums, but this is a specific question about Edius 6. Thanks!
    Last edited by awm129; 03-07-2012, 02:45 AM.
    www.pickemupproductions.com
    Edius Neo 2 - Edius 9 Pro

In Edius 6 is not.
    In Eidus 6.5- hmmm, does not exist yet.
    Edius 3D beta has some optimizations for reading ProRes and DNxHD- all cores work, but does not look like it applies to export.
    GV plugs in to Apple QT- they don't have their own QT libraries (some companies do). It may change- the best if QT would die :P

Do not cross post!
    Last edited by 4Kover3D; 03-06-2012, 11:13 PM.

Comment

as a follow up for posterity...

I did some test exports last night of various formats and imported them into an iMovie project on a co-worker's mac today.

avi's encoded with the microsoft dv codec imported flawlessly into iMovie. The quality looked great. A dv encoded quicktime also imported nicely and looked much better than the QT playback on my pc. However, given that grass valley has threaded the avi exporter, avi export times were 1/8 the time of the quicktime export. Going forward this is going to be my go to encoding for SD files destined for iMovie or FCP.

Of course, this will all be moot in a few months with the Quicktime HQ codec. Any plans to thread that encoder grass valley?

Comment

Originally posted by awm129 View Post
        Of course, this will all be moot in a few months with the Quicktime HQ codec.
        New name (as in spec's), same issues ;(

Any plans to thread that encoder grass valley?
        As this is owned by the fruit company, the likely assumption would be never.

I second Andrews notion for a QuickTime free Edius that has it's own engine for stills.
        Have only QT export as an export format :)

All jokes aside, All gamma issues aside, QT is mediocre format that has lip sync issues in every keynote address video streamed from Apple HQ, resembling macro-block compression artifact (in low bit-rate encodes) from 1980's Mpeg1, may it Die a fast put painful multi threaded death.
        Tony D.

EDIUS WG 9.54 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / 2x Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.
        EDIUS WG 8.53 / HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.
        wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate / affinity

Comment

Originally posted by SoundFreak_HD View Post
          As this is owned by the fruit company, the likely assumption would be never.
          Thats too bad. I was hoping for a third party codec of some sort. I didn't realize this was being developed by apple :(

Comment

Thats too bad. I was hoping for a third party codec of some sort. I didn't realize this was being developed by apple :(
            Last time I checked it was owned by the creators of the equally great FCPX, I could be wrong though ...............
            Tony D.

EDIUS WG 9.54 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / 2x Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.
            EDIUS WG 8.53 / HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.

Comment

I understand what you're after, I'm enjoying my Mpeg2HD export as I'm posting this :)

2nd CPU usage screen grab is near completion of a 1 hour timeline export, RAM usage and GPU temp has climbed a little.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SoundFreak_HD; 03-08-2012, 05:09 AM.
              Tony D.

Comment

It's faster to export to eg HQ/Lossless codec and than with ffmpeg/ffmbc transcode to ProRes than export directly to some MOV using QT exporter.
                If you happy with DV quality (for me it's total crap) than use it- it's fast and work on MAC even in AVI container.

Note: with latest OSX and QT X Apple removed support for many codecs, including most generic RGB- again Apple does not give a shixx about users- they do what they like!
                You can install QT7 if you need old QT functionality on MAC.
                I still don't get it that so many broadcast people don't understand that Apple has nothing to do with broadcast industry anymore- they sell phones and tablets for mass market!
                Last edited by 4Kover3D; 03-08-2012, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X