Full Screen DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Screen DVD

Using Edius 6.3 the footage properties are 720x480 and the aspect ratio is 1.2000 (16:9), stream type is MPG2 video. It plays full screen on the timeline. When I export to MPEG, it also plays full screen. In Ulead it also plays full screen but when I burn a disc it plays a small screen in the centre of TV. Why? How can I get this to play full screen on the DVD?

Ted
    Complete Video Image Productions

You didn't make a 16x9 aspect ratio but a 4x3 ratio DVD, that's why you have black bars at all sides of the video, this is a now letter boxed video in 4x3 format, which is cute and small but not that useful :)
    Make a new project in your authoring software and select widescreen or 16x9 ratio settings.

p.s. almost time to update to 6.06, but this has nothing to do with this issue, it will help with others though !

Ooh, wait, you mentioned it plays full screen in U-lead but not in your DVD player, could be the settings of your DVD playout settings.

When any other 16x9 DVD is played you have full screen ?
    Tony D.

EDIUS WG 9.54 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / 2x Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.
    EDIUS WG 8.53 / HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.
    wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate / affinity

Comment

...when I burn a disc it plays a small screen in the centre of TV
      Also check the setting on the DVD player and TV. Even if the DVD is properly authored, some may not automatically sense the format/aspect ratio and display it properly.

Comment

I tried all the settings on DVD player and TV and nothing would fill the whole screen. The footage was taken on a hard drive consumer camera, with the frame size 720x480 and aspect ratio 16:9. Is my problem because this is not true wide screen? The only wide screen DVD I have is a PAL DVD (which is 720x576 with aspect ratio 16:9) which I'm also trying to convert to Full Screen. When I play the original PAL, it does not fill the whole screen. Is there any way of converting it to full screen? Any help is appreciated. As long as I know it can't be done, I'm happy and don't have to concern myself over it.

Thanks,
        Ted

Comment

if it fills the screen in EDIUS preview window, it will fill the screen on TV providing your DVD player has widescreen TV set in setup menu, and not letterbox or pan/scan
          Anton Strauss
          Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

* If your camera NTSC (720x480) recording 16:9 false (non-native), like this:

Better to create a project 4:3 that was conceived natively by the camera, this does not distort the ratio.

* Now if this is the codec recording, EDIUS may not interpret well the aspect ratio the source clip to import... and you need to adjust this by changing aspect ratio in the Clip Properties (Alt+Enter) from 4:3 to 16:9, in project 16:9 and see what happens.
            CSXD2 l For EDIUS Pro 6.5
            http://cinemasuite.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you for all your advice. I will buy a new dvd player and see what happens . All my players are 5 years old, that may be the problem.

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by COMPLETE VIDEO IMAGE View Post
                Thank you for all your advice. I will buy a new dvd player and see what happens . All my players are 5 years old, that may be the problem.

Ted
                Should not be, even the first DVD players had extensive menu settings, they are a lot older than 5 years :)
                As mentioned above, it could also be your TV settings.
                Tony D.

EDIUS WG 9.54 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / 2x Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.
                EDIUS WG 8.53 / HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.
                wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate / affinity

Comment

The footage was taken on a hard drive consumer camera, with the frame size 720x480 and aspect ratio 16:9.
                  Which make/model?

There were a number of methods used to arrive at a "widescreen" image on camcorders, some better than others. The worst case is if the wide screen effect was obtained by just cropping the top/bottom of a native 720x480 SD image in the camcorder.

As to viewing, it becomes a problem of selecting the right combination of DVD player and TV settings, and this can be problematic. Using a HDMI connection is no guarante of success - it may limit the available TV "screen zoom" options. If you are using HDMI, try using a component (RBG) connection, or even s-video. That may open up more screen zoom options.

A new DVD player (or TV) may or may not solve the problem dpending on their internal viewing options. If you do not need a new player anyway, coconsider the return for refund options if it does not solve the issue (but then DVD player are cheap now). This might be an oportunity to get a Blu-Ray player if you do not already have one.

Comment

The DVD plays as expected on a Standard TV. My wide screen TV is a new LG LED. The camera used for the NTSC footage is a Sony DCR-SR46 Hybrid HDD. I took the DVD to a local store that has a large audio/video department. They were unable to set their equipment to play full screen. I suspect it could be a simple setting that I have not found yet.

Ted

Comment

Working...
                    X