How to cut IN and OUT in some levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to cut IN and OUT in some levels

Problem: there are 6 layers in an already done editing. I've to cut 10 frames and make then shorter all my editing of 10 frames, but not the audio.
    Well, put an IN and an OUT of 10 frames, but there's no way to have what I want. I can have these results:
    1) all the clips are cutted (even the audio) living a blank space.
    2) the clips are cutted, no blank space but in the levels, Perfect! but ... in the level with only one clip (blank before and after) the clips disappear!!!

I tried any command, any way of rippling or not rippling ... but the result is: I'm really not able to make a simple cut ... (maybe I'm stupid or maybe Edius is not made for fast editing)
    So I'm not able to find a way to cut these damned frames and the other I've to cut! Have I to move all the next clips in each level to the right place? That's crazyness!!! I'll keep more than 2 hours!
    I'm an Avid editor. And all this is simply made pushing: I+O+X And I've finished. But in this moment I've to edit with Edius 6. Please how can I do this in simple way?

This is very simple in EDIUS.
    You want to remove 10 frames from multiple tracks but want to leave the audio as is?

There are many ways to do this but I am going to give you 1.

1 select the track headers for the tracks you want to edit. Position play-line.
    2 Press f6 (trim mode) in my example I choose to trim the in point of the video tracks.
    3 use the < and> keys.

(At point 3 for 10 frames you can use the shortcuts shift +< and shift + >)

Simple

Watch the attachments.

But as I said there are more ways.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 02-18-2012, 04:06 PM.
    Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
    EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

I don't well know Edius, for the bit I'm using it has wonderful options. But is not a bit absurd what you just teached to me?
      I've:
      1) go to my end point, make a cut in all levels I need to cut
      2) go to my in point to see where I've to finish my trim
      3) push F6
      4) choose the right handle I've to move
      5) move the handle till the right point
      6) exit to trim mode.

My God! Or this is not the right way or the programmers never made an edit in their life!

Ok to don't have the shortness of Avid but ...

Anyway this method doesn't works if you have a clip vith blank before!!!!!
      The handle goes in any end of the clips, but that one with blank before have to be at the start! With this method I cut the end of the clip not the start!!
      It looks like Edius is not able to cut the blank! Am I right?

Comment

Why would you cut a blank empty track makes no sense.

Can you post a screen grab of what you want to do? Or better yet make a screen capture

as I said there are many other ways to do it no reason to start complaining when people are trying to help.

Just stick with the facts. IT works better when you are trying to get help ...really.

I have a feeling that you did not take the time to get the editing commands.

Maybe I don't understand you but I have no issue performing the edit with empty tracks in front of a clip
        Attached Files
        Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 02-18-2012, 04:52 PM.
        Steve

Comment

I'll make it even simpler...forget the In and Out points?
          1. Turn off Grouping ( small figure eight in the top left track header)
          2. Select all the clips you want to trim.
          3. Place your cursor in 10 frames and hit either the N key (trim left) or the M key (trim right).

This whole process should take you about 2 seconds.
          1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Just to understand, now I've to make this simple cut.
            How to do it?

Avid: choose the layers then press I+O+X (or Z if you want blank)
            Edius?

About the previous post:looking thi example, if I want to cut where the yellow layer start, with your method all the layer go back but the start of the yellow layer stay in the same position! And become shorter the end! So I've to keep this layer, put back and make longer the end.
            Sorry but ... I never believed to be in such trouble for a simple cut.
            I think it's my fault, but I0ve to resolve this gap.
            And thanks for your previous help.
            Attached Files

Comment

This is very simple in EDIUS. Make sure Ripple mode is off. Do as I suggested in my previous post. Or you can use Alt D which Deletes between In and Out points.
              When I train people from Avid, the main thing I have to get them to change is using In anf Out points for everything.
              1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Simple
                If you want to keep the audio:
                Select the tracks you want to perform the edit on

1 turn off group

2 Position cursor at in point press M
                3 Position cursor at out point press N

Done.
                turn on group again

That's why I said there are many way to do it.

You can also cut at in cut at out
                Select the cut area by pressing alt and draw select the cut are and press delete.
                Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 02-18-2012, 05:18 PM.
                Steve

Comment

There is one way to do it faster.

Go in your keyboard settings and map a key for delete in-out selected tracks.

Then you just select the tracks and pres that key.

Make sure that you select the track that have something to cut.
                  Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 02-18-2012, 05:40 PM.
                  Steve

Comment

My God! M was the right answer!!!!! :)
                    I did it! Now everything is still in sink!
                    Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

But I found nowhere this command! Not in the help nore in the tutorial. I spent hours to resolve this problem.
                    Really thanks again.
                    I see it's full different menthality from Avid.
                    By the way I worked on the developing of Avid in 90 years, when it was making big square pixel but wonderful (and the first) offline editor. When some equipments have problems, I go in and write manually all the commands. That's the why I was feeling me so stupid to don't be able to resolve such problem with Edius. A program that I think very very good but sometimes a bit too much farraginous and too much "mouse oriented". Maybe I've to try more to costumize the keyboard but it's not so easy to understand all the commands and to put them in my way. :)

And again thanks.

Comment

Yes we are a bit different bit we have a the ability to customize the shortcuts as you wish.
                      You don't have to feel stupid we will help as long as you are willing to receive it. :)

Just remember that we don't force users to edit one way. You can achieve something in EDIUS in lots of ways....
                      That's what is so nice about EDIUS
                      Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 02-18-2012, 05:45 PM.
                      Steve

Comment

Mmmm ... if I do such shortcut, it cuts well IN OUT in all the selected track but the yellow clip (in the pic) is full deleted!!!! Even if it has no outpoint on it. I don't understand ...
                        Really not easy to understand the commands of this program. I have the italian version and the description of the commands is really misunderstanding.

Comment

Once you learn the keyboard shortcuts, you can mostly use just the keyboard if you like. But there are a few things that should be mouse oriented. Such as most Avid editors use the arrow keys for single frame advance, but in EDIUS it is faster to use the Mousewheel. BTW, your 10 frame Dvance is Shift + arrow key.

Comment

Originally posted by mowgli View Post
                            Mmmm ... if I do such shortcut, it cuts well IN OUT in all the selected track but the yellow clip (in the pic) is full deleted!!!! Even if it has no outpoint on it. I don't understand ...
                            Really not easy to understand the commands of this program. I have the italian version and the description of the commands is really misunderstanding.
                            That is because you still think the Avid way where all is controlled by In and Out points. Not so in EDIUS. It actually is faster once you learn it. You can lock the track you don't want to Delete.

Comment

Originally posted by mowgli View Post
                              Don select the yellow (Nodo..) track and try it again.
                              Since you have nothing to cut there you don't need to select it.

That's what I told you earlier.
                              Just select the tracks , by track header which need an action applied to it.

Can you give me a screen shot of the Gui of the timeline so I can see the tracks and how you select them?
                              Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 02-18-2012, 08:36 PM.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X