• beardedboss
    • Aug 2009

Custom Transition Problem

How can I make a custom transition of
    Dissolve 12 frames
    Audio Cross Fade 4 frames

When I try to make one it always makes it equal
    12 frames for both.

I have a separate 4 frame Audio Cross Fade that I made, which is great!
    But when need to add a Dissolve of 12 frames onto the Video I can't seem to do it.
    I am working with VA Tracks.
    EDIUS 6.06
  • antonsvideo
    • May 2007

right click any transition in effects palette, duration, transition 12, then duration, crossfade 4

drag transition or Ctrl+P to apply

then if you need 1 sec dissolve with 1 sec crossfade, apply with Alt+1
    then if you need 2 sec dissolve with 2 sec crossfade, apply with Alt+2
    then if you need 3 sec dissolve with 3 sec crossfade, apply with Alt+3
    then if you need 4 sec dissolve with 4 sec crossfade, apply with Alt+4
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 64GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

• beardedboss
      • Aug 2009

I tried this and it still goes to even on each in this case 12/12
      and not 12/4. This is with the extend clips off so that it cuts in your footage.
      What I am looking for is to do a custom preset of 12/4 I can drag over to a set of clips or even just one of 2 by lasso ing.

Try a test with clips that have no heads or tails, do the transition settting switch off extend clips (I have a button on the timeline area) then drag or Ctrl P the transition over and note how it does 12/12 or in short even dissolve and xfade. to do what I want I have to go back in there manually alt clicking and dragging the xfade from 12 to 4 frames (shortening it manually) each time on each clip

Comment

• beardedboss
        • Aug 2009

Is there a way around this?
        I tried also to put video on seperate v and a tracks
        only this time it wont let me add any audio crossfade at all even on it's own,

Comment

• antonsvideo
          • May 2007

see if the bottom item on the following EDIUS keyboard shortcut page helps
          Most useful EDIUS Video Editing Keyboard Shortcuts for cut, trim, offset and duplicate
          Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 64GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

• Rusty
            • May 2007

Originally posted by beardedboss
            Is there a way around this?
            I tried also to put video on seperate v and a tracks
            only this time it wont let me add any audio crossfade at all even on it's own,
            In this instance, I'd recommend practice with Extend Clips. It should work without a hitch.
            Rusty Rogers | Films
            >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
            >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
            Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

• beardedboss
              • Aug 2009

Still having probs with this can this be noted to be fixed in next release?

With Extend clips off, then is should be possilbe to drag a custom designed transition of different lengths to one of more clips. whether they be on a VA Track or linked V1 A1.

On the VA Track it always gives you even video and audio crossfades and on the V1 A1 it wont allow you do even add the transition.

Comment

• antonsvideo
                • May 2007

I think this is impossible

because lets assume the audio xfade is 1 sec and the video trans is 2 sec

to keep the clips fully extended (as per your setting) the right clip needs to move one second to the left to allow the xfade and at the same time it would need to move 2 seconds to the left in order to allow adding the transition

so if the developers allow this, the audio and video track will need to be unlocked and your audio video sync will be out by 1 second from the transition onwards

do I make sense? if not, I will make a drawing
                Anton Strauss

Comment

• beardedboss
                  • Aug 2009

Yes but what I am doing is having 2 clips butted slide by slide, that have no headers or tails, to enable a transition, I click off extend clips
                  I can the click in between and do default transition lets say it is 1 sec and 1 sec dissolve ok the defaulty setting.
                  Files are PAL HDV 50i converted to Canopus HQ Fine AVI

EDIUS Does this and I lose 12.5 frames from the left clip and 12.5 from the right clip which is fine. I can the go in ALT Click the Audio Transition with the Mouse and then drag each side of the audio crossfade to shorten it to anything from 12.5 frames a side to 1. In my case I want to create an Audio Crossfade of jus 4 frames, loosing 2 frames from each side of the clip.
                  I am doing this to soften the edges of each audio to smooth things over.

Anton, can you recommend a good free Video Capture program that I can install on my edit PC that I use to make a demo of what I am talking about, I want to install a good one that wont mess up as that machine is just for editing and min bloat, if you know what I mean, though I would like to be able to make so Captures at times.

Comment

• antonsvideo
                    • May 2007

in your case, you really need to do AB type editing, you will have precise control over everything

I tested your issue in EDIUS5 and it acts the same, so this has always been like that

when extend is off, and crossfade is set to shorter than transition, always the shorter duration will be used
                    Anton Strauss

Comment

Working...