Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alkaye

Compare EDIUS to Premier and VEGAS please

Hello:

I have been an editor for 28 years and have been using the Velocity system faithfully for the past 8. Now that our system is being discontinued by Harris Broadcast, I seek a new system that will make us just as Happy.

One of the best features of Velocity is its real time, very intuitive interface.

We have access to Premier Pro 2 as well as Vegas 7 and wish to get some opinions on how Edius might compare. I know I can download a trial, but I don’t think it has the real time features. Plus I wish to get some opinions.

Can anyone help?

Thank you!
  • GrassValley_MD
    Mike Downey... The Jollymon
    • Apr 2007

To try and do this in a forum is almost impossible. Down load the trial... it is a full working version for 30 days. :)

Mike

Comment

• Alkaye

Edius

Ok..Mike..will do

Is this real time without the card?..and how would you respond to this comment I got for another user
      ------------------------------
      I purchased the Edius PCI NX card capable of HD. It is the most powerful card they have.
      Very strong with they right computer hardware and lots of realtime layering.
      After editing with it for 8 months I sold it on EBay.
      It was stable, and had some features I liked, but couldn't stand editing with it.
      Way too many differeneces to list here, but I had to open other menus and programs to get the same results as the Q.
      Until last update, you couldn't keyframe the proc amp.
      Effects are already built and cannot be keyframed.
      There are alot more steps in doing simple things the Q does with ease and at a better output quality.
      Any borders on a PIP with movement shakes and looks like #@*)>.
      slow motion is jittery unless you add filters to dampen it, and then the picture gets soft.
      ----------------------

Comment

• Ingwe
        • May 2007

You can not compare APPRO CS2 or Vegas to Edius Pro when it comes to Real Time . I use Edius Pro 3.61 and 4.02 for 80% of the work due to the time it saves me , and the 10% I use PPro cs2 to do creative parts that Eduis cannot handle.

Comment

• shueardm
          • May 2007

I think one other thing you need to ask yourself is "Do you care about using Windows Vista?" Premiere PRO CS3 and Vegas 8 both support Vista, plus a host of other consumer software do as well.

EDIUS will probably be the last editing program to get Vista support, the wheels turn very slowly around here.
          AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, RTX 3080, 64GB RAM, EDIUS X WG.

Comment

• STORMDAVE
            • May 2007

I know that Velocity had a 3d hardware DVE package...the effects looked very good. Unfortunately you won't have those capabilities in Edius, although maybe a bit close with the free Xplode 4.5 and keyer tracks.

What kind of work were you doing? Straight cuts? Or what? Lots of graphics?

As Mike said, all 3 applications have trials, it's your call.

Comment

• GrassValley_MD
              Mike Downey... The Jollymon
              • Apr 2007

That is one persons opinion. I gues if it sucked as bad as that person says NBC would not have been using it for 2 years now and would not have bought over 400 seats just a few months ago.

Like I said before... get the trial, it will speak for itself. If it fits your needs then you will be very happy, if not, then something else will :)

Mike

Comment

• biopic
                • May 2007

There is one member of this forum who was formerly a Velocity guru and frequent poster on the DPSedits forum. He switched to Edius a couple of years ago. If he choses to identify himself, he can probably give you the fairest analysis.
                Andrew Pinder
                www.chpv.co.uk
                Edius 9 with Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k; Windows 10 (64 bit Pro); Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro; i9-9900K CPU; 32GB RAM;
                Asus GTX1060 graphics; RME Fireface800 audio; SATA RAID

Comment

• SRsupport
                  Grass Cutter Gold
                  • May 2007

It is good to compare but if realtime is such an important thing why compare it to Vegas?
                  I have still to see vegas run anything realtime at broadcast level out.
                  Vegas = Render render and render
                  I know because I own a copy. You have to render simple things just to see how it looks.

Edius can't produce those awful looking preview modes the other programs produce to say it is real time.
                  EDIUS is full broadcast out.

Choosing the best packages is up the you. You know the work you are doing and what you need to achieve it.
                  As others have suggested it is better to download the demo and try the packages. You can make a choice on what the package does or does not do and not on what someone says.

SR
                  Last edited by SRsupport; 09-01-2007, 04:59 PM.
                  Steve
                  EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
                  A proud EDIUS EDITOR
                  For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

• cemcik
                    • Jul 2007

NBC would not have been using it for 2 years now and would not have bought over 400 seats just a few months ago.

Good to know that NBC uses it. I wonder what other channels also uses edius. I bet a lot of news channels use it 'cause they have to edit real quck.

Comment

• Jerry
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by STORMDAVE
                      I know that Velocity had a 3d hardware DVE package...the effects looked very good. Unfortunately you won't have those capabilities in Edius, although maybe a bit close with the free Xplode 4.5 and keyer tracks.

What kind of work were you doing? Straight cuts? Or what? Lots of graphics?

As Mike said, all 3 applications have trials, it's your call.

Let's also keep in mind that everything extra cost.... extra. It was an ala carte system. The basic card with the scsi connectors was in the $8,000. Add the DVE, the daughter card, the bob, the computer and you are up in the high 20's. Also, you had to use scsi drives straight from the daughter card. When I looked, Leitch (before harris)was still using 2 year old motherboards in the system.
                      If you were comparing against the Canopus HD turnkey, In my opinion, Velocity Q HD blew it away at half the price. Keep in mind one system uses acceleration and the other doesn't, therefore the cost. Also, it is very very proprietary...even more so than Canopus. That Item was for a completely different segment.

But, I also have to add, where is it now? Many editors have come, been magnificent, and then disappeared.

I backed away after realizing that the editor was so far ahead of my cameras that I was needlessly throwing away money.

Download the trials and find out for yourself. We here at the forum can not make the decision for you.
                      Sure, Edius has a lot of catching up to do. Even with it's short comings, alot of us here still believe in the product and use it daily. I'm still hoping that what happened to DPS>Leitch>Harris does not happen with the GV takeover of Canopus.
                      Jerry
                      Six Gill DV

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Main System:: Azrock z690 Taichi, [email protected], 64gb ram, Lian Li Galahad 360mm in push pull, Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL ROG case, 13 Lian Infinity fans, Win11 Pro , Corsair ATX 3.0 Gen 5 1200 watt PSU, Samsung 980 1tb boot NVME, 2-4TB Samsung 990 Pro's, 1TB Samsung SSD, 1-12TB Seagate Ironwolf, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black Edius X.

Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9.55, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Working...