Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edius 6 is "Optimized" for 64bit. What does that mean exactly??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edius 6 is "Optimized" for 64bit. What does that mean exactly??

I'm guessing Edius 6 runs on windows 7 64bit OS, but isn't really a 64bit program, ...right? And how does that translate or effect the new HQX codec. What about true 10 bit color correcting?? Is there an Edius 7 in the works that adresses this like the CS5 premeire from Adobe?

Thanks
    NLE: PC, Gigabyte Motherboard with E6850 Core 2 Duo CPU @ 3.0ghz. 4Gb Ram. GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GTS250
    DRIVES: 4TB raid 0 array connected to AMCC 3ware SATA controller with 518mb memory. Other Drives: Seagate & WD 7200rpm 1TB each
    SOFTWARE: Edius 5.5, Adobe Encore CS4, Photoshop and After Effects CS4.

AFAIK the C.C. in Edius 6 is 10bit, if, you have 10bit footage and use the HQX codec.
    Most, if not all Edius native filters are 10bit (inside a 10bit project that is)..........
    Tony D.

EDIUS WG 9.54 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / 2x Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.
    EDIUS WG 8.53 / HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.
    wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate / affinity

Comment

Originally posted by SoundFreak_HD View Post
      AFAIK the C.C. in Edius 6 is 10bit, if, you have 10bit footage and use the HQX codec.
      Most, if not all Edius native filters are 10bit (inside a 10bit project that is)..........
      We wish.... just a few filters are currently 10bit in Edius 6 but not any of the Colour Correction.

Current 10bit support as posted by GV_PS here http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/s...ighlight=10bit

"Good news! Here is the official word on what is 10 Bit.

- Mix (Transparency) setting on timeline

- Layouter

- Track matte Keyer

- Mask filter

- 3D PinP Keyer

- [2D] transitions

- [3D] transitions (does not include GPUfx)

- Alpha Custom Transitions"
      However this is a good start and performance is also pretty good which bodes well for full 10bit support when it comes... oh and did I mention stable :-?

Best
      Dave.
      Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
      www.nakedeyedv.com

Comment

Originally posted by NakedEye View Post
        not any of the Colour Correction.
        Are you serious ? Not even native Edius C C .............
        Tony D.

EDIUS WG 9.54 / MATROX MXO2 LE / WIN10 Pro WS / LENOVO P71 Workstation laptop / XEON E3-1535M v6 / nVidia QUADRO P3000 6GB / Toshiba M.2 NVMe 512GB / 2x Samsung 860 EVO 4TB / 32GB ECC RAM.
        EDIUS WG 8.53 / HDRX-E1 + HDBX-1000H / WIN10 Pro / DUAL XEON X5470 / SUPERMICRO X7DWA-N / SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASIS SC745TQ-920B / INTEL 520 SSD 240GB / WD CAVIAR BLACK 4TB (many) / 32GB ECC RAM / GTX 770 4GB / 2x MOTU 896HD.
        wavearts / neatvideo / tmpgenc / hitfilm / imaginate / affinity

Comment

Originally posted by SoundFreak_HD View Post
          Are you serious ? Not even native Edius C C .............
          I guess you missed the discussion.... many threads since the release of 6. To be fair all new modules seem to be 10bit and I guess a major re-write is needed.... maybe 64bit at the same time who knows just pure speculation.... if you want 10bit CC and more inside of Edius take a look at Boris Red5 as it plugs right into Edius 6

Best
          Dave.
          Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
          www.nakedeyedv.com

Comment

It would be VERY NICE if at least the color balance controls (controls for brightness, contrast, chroma, hue) were preformed in 10 bit, so we could at least do simple adjustments in 10 bit.
            NLE: PC, Gigabyte Motherboard with E6850 Core 2 Duo CPU @ 3.0ghz. 4Gb Ram. GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GTS250
            DRIVES: 4TB raid 0 array connected to AMCC 3ware SATA controller with 518mb memory. Other Drives: Seagate & WD 7200rpm 1TB each

Comment

My impression is that given that the human eye is able to descern maybe 6- to 7-bit gray scale steps (64 to 128 shades) and 5- to 6-bit chroma steps (500,000 colors), 10-bit processing is probably appropriate for complex adjustments (many iterations, layered effects, high gains, or large shifts), and of arguably limited value for simple adjustments (e.g., less than 6 dB change).

Comment

I load my tapes in HQX 10bit with my edius6.06 and Storm 3G Elites.....
                But if I have a clip with White wrong balance I don't succeed in making a perfect correction, but even good.... the result with any tools of color correction of edius is ugly and unpleasant.
                But why the grass valley doesn't systematize such an important thing?

Comment

Originally posted by maxmi View Post
                  .... the result with any tools of color correction of edius is ugly and unpleasant.
                  But why the grass valley doesn't systematize such an important thing?
                  While I agree that 10 bit cc would be needed for some Jobs (not saying it is not important)..ugly and unpleasant results is a bit far fetched IMHO.

Look at : the Color Grading tutorials.
                  http://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/s...81&postcount=1
                  Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
                  EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

While a full 10 Bit workflow would be great, if you are working with 10 Bit video. Let's not forget that the vast amount of Edius use, as with most NLE's, is going to be 8 Bit sources. An 8 Bit source will look exactly the same being processed at 8 or 10 Bit, then output to a typical 8 Bit delivery, DVD, Blu-ray, cable, satalite, terrestrial digital, etc. etc.

This is not to say that GV should not do full 10 Bit Edius support ASAP, but most users simply wont notice the difference anyway. Film, Post, and a few other pro applications do need it, but most day to day users do not. Again, I am not saying settle for second best, or accept less than perfection, but just suggesting a little perspective to the issue.

Maxmi, what is your video source? The only reason I ask is that there may be something wrong with your system if things end up looking "ugly and unpleasant" I have been head of post on two features and loads of other stuff done on Edius, and working 8 Bit has never looked as you describe. I have done many tests taking 10 Bit sources and comparing them to untouched 10 Bit and processed via 8 Bit. It has to be said that a lot of the colour range is the same for a lot of typical shooting, at least to the eye. You will see the biggest differences in content that has a lot of the same colour in many tones/gradiants, things like well shot water/ocean/sea and stuff like well shot sky, animation, etc. Again, I am the last Edius user to suggest "just putting up" with some of the lacking elements, but I have never seen colour/depth degradation to the extent that you are suggesting.

Cheers.

dave.

Comment

Therefore, I hope to explain because I speak badly English.

My source is: DVCPRO25, Digital Betacam, P2 AVCINTRA.
                      I mean: The image treated with color correction of edius is beautiful as quality, it doesn't have noise, the nuisance is good, but they is the colors that are not corrected well.
                      if a clip has white balance in origin been wrong, with CC of edius he doesn't succeed in correcting well the color.
                      Yesterday I have downloaded Boris RED for the test.
                      Boris RED has a color correction a lot of powerful person, if a face were red, with RED a rose becomes perfect. With Edius this is not reached.

for GrassValley_SL: Thanks for the suggestion. This tutorial I have already seen so many times but without good results. I think that Edius needs a software motor of redrawn CC and more powerful person.

Comment

Originally posted by dpalomaki View Post
                        My impression is that given that the human eye is able to descern maybe 6- to 7-bit gray scale steps (64 to 128 shades) and 5- to 6-bit chroma steps (500,000 colors), 10-bit processing is probably appropriate for complex adjustments (many iterations, layered effects, high gains, or large shifts), and of arguably limited value for simple adjustments (e.g., less than 6 dB change).
                        Yet adding a simple gradient ie: a dark border will show banding. Yes adding a little noise can help mask this but that is not always ideal.

At the end of the day it is horses for courses... sure a lot of production ends up being consumed at 8bit 4:2:0 however preserving fidelity throughout the flow certainly lessens the impact.

As correctly stated not everyone needs 10bit support least of all news however GV and Edius have much to offer broadcast in all its areas.

Best
                        Dave.

www.nakedeyedv.com

Comment

This is not to say that GV should not do full 10 Bit Edius support ASAP, but most users simply wont notice the difference anyway. Film, Post, and a few other pro applications do need it, but most day to day users do not
                          While I agree with the above statement, why should GV sell themselves short as just a lower end NLE. WHY DOESN"T GV PUSH EDIUS AS FILM AND POST WORTHY.

Having edited for many many months with Final Cut Pro 7, (also with the original Media 100, Fast, DPS Velocity & Speed Razor NLE's) I've Edited many years with Adobe Premiere (ver. 2 through current CS 5.5) and played around with Avid a little. I feel that Edius is MUCH MUCH Faster and more enjoyable to work with. Sure it has less bells and whistles, but it's faster to perform common functions and the encoding/exporting media to different files is FAR SUPERIOR to what I've been able to do with Premiere and especially FCP (still trying to convert an HD project to an SD with 3:2 pulldown and letterbox cropping, geeze apple!!)

For some reason Grass Valley is perfectly happy being a basically unknown NLE program in the US with editors, taking a back seat to the three A's.
                          I've used it for 8 yrs and found nothing i like better (other than After Effects). GV: Make it a pro Post and Film NLE with 10 bit color correcting !!! Thanks

Comment

..being a basically unknown NLE program in the US with editors...
                            Sadly so. Consider how often mention of Edius is not found in articles covering NLEs in mags. such as "Videomaker." While this is not a high end professional mag, it give a lot of column space to the three As and Sony.

Be interesting to check the pixel values in images showing banding in grays.
                            Are the bands levels in one bit steps or are they they larger steps?
                            Is the banding a compression artifact?

Comment

Originally posted by maxmi View Post
                              Therefore, I hope to explain because I speak badly English.

My source is: DVCPRO25, Digital Betacam, P2 AVCINTRA.
                              I mean: The image treated with color correction of edius is beautiful as quality, it doesn't have noise, the nuisance is good, but they is the colors that are not corrected well.
                              if a clip has white balance in origin been wrong, with CC of edius he doesn't succeed in correcting well the color.
                              Yesterday I have downloaded Boris RED for the test.
                              Boris RED has a color correction a lot of powerful person, if a face were red, with RED a rose becomes perfect. With Edius this is not reached.

for GrassValley_SL: Thanks for the suggestion. This tutorial I have already seen so many times but without good results. I think that Edius needs a software motor of redrawn CC and more powerful person.
                              You need to watch the c.c. tutorial again, because it works just fine for everybody except you.
                              I7-6900K, X99 Taichi, Geforce GTX 1070, Corsair RM850X, Corsair H100 IV2, Windows 10, Edius WG 9.30

Comment

Working...
                              X