importing XDCAM clips from previous projectsinto a new project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• importing XDCAM clips from previous projectsinto a new project

We archive all our projects on to a 10 TB drobo raid. Just recently we are using some of our clips from old projects into a new project. The clips are all from Sony Exdcam cameras. Is there a way to pick a clip here and there from old projects residing on the archive drive and copy them to the new project with out coping the whole bav folder over to our video drive on our editor? We want the clips we choose to reside on the video raid of our desk top rather than on the archive drive?

The BAV files are large (32gigs) and the transfer from the Drobo back to our video drive is slow and space on the video raid on the desk top is a concern.

It just occurred to me that from a time saving standpoint and disk space the best thing to do might be to go into the projects and export the individual clips that I need for the new project. What do you think is the best way to do this?

Thanks

Ronnie
    Last edited by RonnieMartin; 01-04-2012, 06:35 PM.
    Ronnie Martin
    Kato Video Productions
    main system: custom built by Edit HD Ultma 277,Intel (R) core (TM) i7 2600K cpu 3.40 GHz 3.40Ghz, 16GB ram, Windows 7, Intel HD (R) graphics 3000, NVIDA Gforce GT 440, C drive Samsung SSD 850 pro, video drive WD 3TB SATA, 2 LG Bluray drives, External WD SATA 2TB storage/backup drives in thermaltake Black device. edius 8.3 WG

Hi Ronnie, and all the best for the new year.

If you try this it may help, assuming that all previous footage resided within a project. Start a new project, and import the EZP/project files from the old ones into this one. I am away from my studio at the moment, but I think this is the way to do it. If you go to your master bin and right click in the root of the bin folder structure, you should get an option to "import project" or some other similar terminology. This then imports an entire EZP/project into a new folder in the bin. In here you should see a structure that includes your sequences, titles, graphics etc. and your original video media. You can now cherry pick the rushes from as many previous EZP/projects as you like, using this import method for each old/previous/archived EZP.

I use the above method to sort out loads of issues about media, I know it's something that's been in Edius for a while and something that most users don't seem to favour. But it has got me out of a few messes.

This obviously only works when you have access to the original storage drives, but I will assume you do or you could not check the clips any other way. The only issue now is saving any new project to a new destination outside the original media drives, but with the media files attached. This is not a problem for my use, as everything is on one big raid, but could be an issue for others. You could at this stage use the consolidate function to make an archive of the final cut, with only the media used, to a new location/drive. This should be fine if you do not intend to trim media with handles etc. I think the consolidate tool will only trim GV codecs, and I think it just does wholesale duplicates of the 3rd party coedcs like EX etc. I have not used the consolidate properly in 6.06, so don't know what changes there are.

Either way, it is possible to cherry pick media from older projects, then re-archive/consolidate the new project to a new folder/drive, using this method.

As long as I have understood what it was you where asking for, I hope this helps.

Cheers mate.

Dave.

Comment

Thanks Dave. I will give your method a try.
      Bset of everything to you and your family in the new year.
      As always I appreciate your expertise and wealth of knowledge

Take care my friend
      Ronnie
      Ronnie Martin
      Kato Video Productions
      main system: custom built by Edit HD Ultma 277,Intel (R) core (TM) i7 2600K cpu 3.40 GHz 3.40Ghz, 16GB ram, Windows 7, Intel HD (R) graphics 3000, NVIDA Gforce GT 440, C drive Samsung SSD 850 pro, video drive WD 3TB SATA, 2 LG Bluray drives, External WD SATA 2TB storage/backup drives in thermaltake Black device. edius 8.3 WG

Comment

Working...
      X