Workflow suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workflow suggestion

What workflow would you guys recommend going from full HD down to Digital Betacam.
    In FinalCut wich i used before i just created a HD-sequence where i edited my stuff. Then i created a SD-sequence in the same project and dragged the HD-sequence to the SD-sequence and rendered.

How do i do this in EDIUS?
    PC: Edius 6.06 - VisTitle 1.8 - Storm 3G - Win7 Ultimate - i7-950 3,06 Ghz - Asus P6X58D - 12GB Ram - Zotac GTX 470 1280MB - 2x2TB WD HDD - Corsair 750 W PSU - 2x Dell SP2309W - M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R.
    MAC: Final Cut Studio - Apple Mac Pro - Matrox MXO2 Max - MacBook Pro with EDIUS 6 using Boot Camp.
    MONITORING: Harman Kardon AVR 260 - 3x ESI nEar05 eXperience - 4x ESI nEar 04 - Genelec 1092A - Sony KDL-40EX500.
    CAMERAS: Grass Valley Infinity - Canon Eos 5D Mark II - GoPro HD - Contour+.

If you have HD projects change setting to SD and done. You don't even have to export HD file- downconversion will be done in RT and you can output to tape. With your PC you can have even few filters- this is the difference between FPC and Edius- lots of stuff is in RT :)

Comment

Originally posted by Andrzej View Post
      If you have HD projects change setting to SD and done. You don't even have to export HD file- downconversion will be done in RT and you can output to tape. With your PC you can have even few filters- this is the difference between FPC and Edius- lots of stuff is in RT :)
      Sweet!
      Can i jump back to HD when i have printed to tape without loosing any quality in HD?
      PC: Edius 6.06 - VisTitle 1.8 - Storm 3G - Win7 Ultimate - i7-950 3,06 Ghz - Asus P6X58D - 12GB Ram - Zotac GTX 470 1280MB - 2x2TB WD HDD - Corsair 750 W PSU - 2x Dell SP2309W - M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R.
      MAC: Final Cut Studio - Apple Mac Pro - Matrox MXO2 Max - MacBook Pro with EDIUS 6 using Boot Camp.
      MONITORING: Harman Kardon AVR 260 - 3x ESI nEar05 eXperience - 4x ESI nEar 04 - Genelec 1092A - Sony KDL-40EX500.

Comment

Originally posted by multiphoto View Post
        Sweet!
        Can i jump back to HD when i have printed to tape without loosing any quality in HD?
        Going either way is as simple as editing your project settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Union Films View Post
          Going either way is as simple as editing your project settings.
          Nice!
          :-)

Comment

Yes just change your project settings back to HD.

Ron Evans
            Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Thanks guys!
              Do you know if this will produce good quality even on the graphics?
              I will have a lot of vistitle-graphics in the HD-project...
              Last edited by multiphoto; 11-26-2011, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys!
                The best thing to do is to run some tests for yourself, and see what you make of the results. The problem with asking such questions, is that you will run into peoples opinions, of which you may not agree with anyway.

Comment

Thanks guys!
                  If you have some graphics, text, rolls etc. its's always the best to do seperate ones for HD and than SD.

Most common problem/mistake is to use small/thin font, sharp photos, which look fine on HD, but after downconversion everything looks bad. Text looks to small, looses shape, clarity, rolls flicker like crazy etc. It happens often even on Hollywood movies.

If you know that you will be producing HD and SD master you have to think about it.

Comment

Hakan,

Do take David's suggestion and run a test. It's worth a few minutes. If you have titles - or especially main titles and/or chapter buttons - sometimes when going from an HD to SD timeline, not only is the font of particular interest, but also the placement of the items on the screen could change drastically. Just be aware!

Best,
                    Alan
                    Alan J. Levi
                    Director

SYSTEM:AsRock Z490 Taichi MB, Intel i9-10850K CPU, 64 Gig Trident 3600 RAM, Corsair HX1000W PS, nVidia RTX 3070 Video, Corsair h115i Water CPU cooler, Asus BW16-B1HT BluRay DVD, Samsung 512GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray, 2 1TB Samsung SSD video files RAID 1, 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer 2000 Audio Fader/Controller, LG 27" 4K Monitor, 2 Asus 1080 monitors.

Comment

if the titles are on a V track (recommended) (don't ever use the title track for anything other than a divider between A and V tracks) then the titles will be perfect no matter what the project setting, as long as you use vistitle
                      Anton Strauss
                      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Interesting! And a good reason to get rid of the title track (saving screen real-estate is always an issue on the laptop:)) Are there no advantages to the title track?
                        Work: Edius 7.20.437 on HP Z220 workstation; Edius 6.08 on i7 running Win 7 64 bit 6 GB RAM. Neo 2.0 on a Lenovo T61. JVC GY-HD201 and GY-HD110.
                        Home: Canon HV20 and Panasonic GH1 (hacked); Neo 3.01 on HP elitebook 8440p i7 and Neo 1 on homemade dualcore desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by rob stowell View Post
                          Are there no advantages to the title track?
                          the only advantage is that you can have fade in out added automatically

but when using V tracks, you can also add fade in out with one mouse drag of dissolve transition to info palette of title

and it is easy to disable the T track in system settings, project presets, this way any future project will not even show a T track

I like the T track to create space between V and A, since I have enough desktop resolution at 2560x1600
                          Anton Strauss
                          Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Thank you all!
                            I will run some tests.
                            First step will be skipping the T-track.
                            I have always used it because of the fade in/out.

Comment

The other advantage of using V tracks to create titles is that the fade does not have to be complete. You can set do go half away then come back, or have V tracks above to layer other titles or graphics at their own level all fading out at the same time. This how I do my intro titles with name of play, graphic, playwright etc.

My preset has no T tracks, 4 audio tracks, 5 VA tracks and 4 V tracks.

Ron Evans
                              Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Working...
                              X