Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edius 6.03 missing functions with FCP XML.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edius 6.03 missing functions with FCP XML.

When I import a FCP project via the FCP XML function, a number of Edius timeline functions go missing or stop functioning. As a for instance, I can not expand a video track to show my opacity rubber band to add keyframes. Even if I add new video track, I still have this issue. The same thing happens to the audio channel as well, and they do not show waveforms either.

Are these known issues, and has anyone else noticed this and/or found a fix?

Cheers.

Dave.

I had the same issue but copy and paste all the clips into a fresh timeline and they work.

Another issue I had was that the FCP project I was importing has some AIFF audio files which EDIUS did not like (they played back with bursts of white noise). I converted them to WAV and they worked.

A really silly problem was that the MAC did not put extensions on the video clips so I could not link to them until I add .MOV to each one. This last one is not an EDIUS problem, of course, just a Windows one.
    EDIUS silver certified trainer.
    Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
    Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
    Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by David Clarke View Post
      I had the same issue but copy and paste all the clips into a fresh timeline and they work.

Another issue I had was that the FCP project I was importing has some AIFF audio files which EDIUS did not like (they played back with bursts of white noise). I converted them to WAV and they worked.

A really silly problem was that the MAC did not put extensions on the video clips so I could not link to them until I add .MOV to each one. This last one is not an EDIUS problem, of course, just a Windows one.
      Hi David.

Thanks. This does not seem to work on mine. There seems to be a strange combination of AV tracks, even with cut and paste to new sequence. I exported as ProRes422 with 5 second handles, so am having to do a combination of rendering masters and dropping them into new sequences and applying dissolves etc. with the 5 second handles. This is just about doable as I am not doing any proper editing, just finishing. But this way of doing things would not work for doing proper editing.

I think your audio issue may be to do with Edius not recognising the Endian order of the AIFF, as in little or big. I am using embedded audio in the ProRes files, and not separate audio format files, so have not had any issues with that. So far, i have not had any file extension problems.

Can anyone from GV let me know if the Edius FCP XML function in 6.03 is better suited to a particular version of FCP, and what version on the XML export is best suited to Edius (1 to 4)?

Thanks.

Dave.

Comment

Hi Dave

I have just completed an import of an FCP 7 Project into Edius 6.03. When I created the XML filein FCP, I used XML version 5 which is offered in FCP 7 (1-5). Does your version not offer XML version 5.

Regards

Ronnie
        System 2: Gigabyte GA-890FX UD7MB, CPU: Phenom II 6 Core Proc. @ 3.1 Ghz, RAM:16GB Vengeance RAM 4x4GB, Graphics Nvidia GTX560ti, 1x240GB OCZ SSD system, 4x1TB WD Black Ent. Drives Raid 0. LAN NAS 6TB backup.
        O/S Windows 7 64bit Pro SP 1, Edius 6.5.2 Boris Red 5.22, VMW 5, Imaginate 2.0 5, Vistitle, LGx2 Blu-ray. 2xw2228h Monitors. HDSpark, BM UltraStudio SDI Capture & Playback,Sony 17" BVM SDI, Sony 32" LCD, Edius KB, Intuos 4 Tablet

Comment

Edius supports only basic feature of FCP XML format.
          You should contact GV to get list of supported options- there are not many compared to full spec FPC XML format.

Comment

The AIFF file is down to the endian order.

EDIUS likes file with "big endian (PowerPC Byte order)"

EDIUS does not like files with "little endian (intel byte order)"

A quick conversion using Adobe Audition on the PC (which is happy with both) proves this.

I used XML5 from FCP7. It worked, just with the caveats I mentioned. I have done about 10 different timelines and all seemed to come in ok.

The copy and paste to a new sequence has worked fro me every time, but then the whole problem of tracks not opening makes no sense at all does it?
            Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
            Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Hi David & Ronnie.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I am using FCP 6 with the last set of updates, I think 6.06? There is no version 5 in the XML exports, looks like I may have to ask my client to go to 7 if it gives us a bit more.

Andrew. Appreciate what you are saying but it's only a basic 2 track cuts edit, that most things would see without too much hassle. The problem I have is not so much the lack of functionality within the the translated edit. But Edius losing some of it's own editing functions once it has imported the XML.

Cheers.

Dave.

Comment

I have the same thing but it is curable - at least it has worked for me everytime I have tried it so far; what version file can FCP 6 export? I have the option of previous version so I could try that and see if I get the same thing.

I don't suppose you have Premiere Pro as well somewhere? I know that imports and exports XML files. No idea if it would fix you problem but might be worth a try

Comment

Hi David.

It's version 6 that I have been using, and it only goes up to type 4 on the XML. I have not had as much success as yourself after the importing of the XML. I have also come across a few other problems with this workflow, which does make it a feature that is not so useful in my workflow. That said, I would never knowingly or plan to move full blow complex edits from one NLE to another, either by XML, EDL, or some other translation method for project/sequence information. In my experience there is never a one hundred percent transparent way of doing this with any NLE system, not just Edius. There are always problems with missing media, formats, track assignments, sync, audio routing, mix info, the list is endless, and then there are always unique issues to each NLE. The problem that I am having is not so bad, it was only to do with about 12 short edits that existed in FCP format before I convinced my client to switch to Edius for the whole project. Funny enough, it's the Liverpool Uni job that you supplied the software and tutorial stuff for.

Cheers.

Dave.

Comment

Working...
                  X