Still Image With Alpha?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Image With Alpha?

Is it possible to grab a video still (Control + T) and preserve the alpha channel?
    I've tried changing the Still Image file type (System Settings-Import/export-Still Image-File type) and have not been able to retain the alpha.

Also, is there a suggested codec or Canopus setting that is best for PSD files?
    Having a problem where the alpha appears to be bleeding through the image -
    grayish colors. Working around that by getting graphics as After Effects movies, but that isn't a practical solution, nor is getting graphics as a separate matte & fill, nor is using a Time Effect to freeze, or a 0% speed playback. (I work in a TV station & we need faster turn around for graphics, previous edit system was Final Cut Pro and could import multi-layer PSD no problem and open in timeline all layers intact, extend layers to whatever length needed and then add effects/transistions). We're using Canopus HQ Standard setting for rendering. All work is exported to Aurora for use by other editors. Edius is running on a HP Z800 workstation, connected to a K2 server. Aurora is also installed on my PC.

Is it also correct that Edius can only work with a single layer PSD? When I try to import multi-layers it flattens the file to a single layer.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance

I often bring in PSD with 4 layers or more

to change duration of layers and add transition to individual layers, you would need to save the PSD with 4 different file names, then stack them on top of each other in EDIUS, then turn off the required layers withing each PSD

Ctrl+Shift+P opens PS on selected PSD
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Photoshop also allows for you to save each layer as a separate file. File>Scripts>Export Layers to Files.
      If your other editors are using Edius then create your graphics as a title. You can share the title retaining the Alpha.
      Glen Meyburgh

Imagio Productions

Edius ver. 5.51

Panasonic AC160
      Canon 70D

Comment

yes, I forgot about the script export option, very fast
        Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

but i guess (if my english is good enough) the post is about to Export from edius (using CTRL>T) and preserving the alpha...
          Paranova Films
          Cali - Colombia

GODZILLA WINDOWS 10 PRO 64BIT 32 Gb RAM, 4 INTEL CORE i7 3,30 Ghz, RAID 12 Tb HDD, NVIDIA GForce GTX980i, EDIUS 8 Workgroup with Blackmagic DeckLink 4K Extreme, ADOBE PRODUCTION STUDIO CS3, COREL MOVIE FACTORY 7

http://www.paranovafilms.com/
          http://www.youtube.com/user/paranovafilmsLTDA

Comment

Originally posted by Paranova Films View Post
            but i guess (if my english is good enough) the post is about to Export from edius (using CTRL>T) and preserving the alpha...
            that was one of the questions and I said it is not possible
            Anton Strauss

Comment

also note that the deafult setting of images loaded to EDIUS is broadcast safe

so if your psd is using 0-255 then this could be your problem because EDIUS will change this to 16-235

alternatively, you can go to system settings and allow illegal levels by choosing super white still handling

but since you are in broadcast, I doubt that that would be a wise choice
              Anton Strauss

Comment

The PSD File>Scripts>Export Layers tip has been a tremendous help.

My graphics dept had been rendering everything as an After Effects movie (in 5 sec clips) that was the only clean key with out bleed through. That is what I was trying to grab stills from - not for export to Aurora, but to get a longer
                keyable graphic for use in Edius. All work exported to Aurora is finished, full screen - no keying done in Aurora.
                There has also been an adjustment in the codec/settings the graphic artists here were using that has improved the PSD - I'm not certain of the change - will try to track down and post it, in case anyone else encounters the same issue (We've been a little crazy in Baltimore between the earthquake and Hurricane Irene).

Where exactly in system settings can I check the super white still handling?
                I looked at Settings>System Settings>Import/Exporter>Still Images and did not see a choice for super white. The station I work for does have proc amps
                that limit whites/blacks on air so broadcast safe maynot be an issue.(I know - horrible, but cheaper than digital waveforms/vectorscopes for 12 edit booths/vans...Thankfully Edius has scopes built in!)

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

it is in User settings
                  http://www.videoproductions.com.au/e...superwhite.png
                  Anton Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by ddemarco View Post
                    The PSD File>Scripts>Export Layers tip has been a tremendous help.

Glad to hear :)
                    Glen Meyburgh

Imagio Productions

Edius ver. 5.51

Panasonic AC160
                    Canon 70D

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                      also note that the deafult setting of images loaded to EDIUS is broadcast safe

so if your psd is using 0-255 then this could be your problem because EDIUS will change this to 16-235

alternatively, you can go to system settings and allow illegal levels by choosing super white still handling

but since you are in broadcast, I doubt that that would be a wise choice
                      I have checked the Super White setting - We did have Color Range for RGB clips set to White, and YCbCr clips set to Super White. I'm adjusting both to Super White, and will see how that works out. I did check with graphics - they are working in the 0 - 255 range so the automatic clipping to broadcast safe (16 - 235) may have been an issue.

on a side note - we've installed K2 Connect in Tools - much faster than bringing clips in through Add File in Source Browser. Great addition to Edius.

Comment

Working...
                      X