Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoundFreak
    replied
    I normally close all windows of edius except the player / recorder, make it single (normaly dual player) and render out from there.
    That leaves me with 80% free desktop space on 2 monitors and that's great.
    The render dialog window I hide at the bottom so that in my work flow with many windows open I can not close the renderer by accident, Just need to see the progress bar not the cancel button.

When I do a 2 hour timeline render I tested that It take about 10% longer time to render when using other Apps. that take a lot of cpu power, like audio editing & graphic work, but your productivity goes up so it's all good.

edit : The only application that runs alone (no multi tasking) is DVD workshop2 while rendering the output file, if other apps. are also running I often get audio/video sync problems in the multiplex stage, this software needs to be alone. All others no problem so far.
    Last edited by SoundFreak; 04-23-2008, 04:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Case
    replied
    I know this is an old thread, but I ran across it while searching for something else.

I have two older PC's tucked away under my edit workstation. I also have a keyboard activated switch (four ports, one being unused), which allows me to share one keyboard, one mouse, and one monitor between the three (the Edius editor gets two monitors, the others only one).

Any time I need to, I tap-tap-tap the sequence on the keyboard to switch to the PC I wish to operate. One PC is a tower full of DVD burners, which also does label printing, etc. The other is a P4 HT machine that does label printing, Photoshop, AE, etc. quite well. The main drawback is that I have to fall back to a single monitor, which isn't much of a handicap with the size and resolution of monitors these days.

Try a keyboard-mouse-monitor sharing switch. Mine is a Starview 4 port, SV-411 by Startech.com. They're really quite inexpensive.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
    Yet another time having multiple monitors is useful!
    Wow, I should go into monitor and video card sales!
    You'd be a great monitor spokesperson :D

I do have multiple monitors but there is no way to minimize it, that I know of...it's always in the back.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_BH
    replied
    Yet another time having multiple monitors is useful!
    Wow, I should go into monitor and video card sales!

Leave a comment:

• muleferg
    replied
    [QUOTE=Khoi Phamget online like you. (-:

I never, never get on line when Edius is running. or perform other task.
    I walk away and get on another puter.
    Mule

Leave a comment:

• JPowell
    replied
    I guess I don't minimize Edius while rendering so much as bring other programs up in front of it...Outlook or Firefox will obscure everything except that render progress box when I click on them in the taskbar.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Meant that the speed has skyrocketed into the moon.....as in it is very fast when using all cores.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
    I haven't been able to minimize Edius while it's use GPU previews as well! Rendering times have skyrocketed by...I don't even want to count. But it's a render farm under the hood..
    Skyrocketed... more rendering time??? or what???
    (probably what)

I render Imiginate,
    Rusty

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    I haven't been able to minimize Edius while it's rendering...do you force minimize it??

I love me cores! :)

Just to let you know about AE CS3, you'll need at least 1GB per core for it to be efficient in using multi-cores..so if you have 4 cores, then 4GB of RAM. 512MB per core is ok, but it's not the same as 1GB.

I've been doing AE work under OSX for the past month, and it's made me much more productive. Adobe just release 8.0.1 OpenGL fix and now I can use GPU previews as well! Rendering times have skyrocketed by...I don't even want to count. But it's a render farm under the hood.

I love the whole Adobe bundle, it's priceless. Haven't touched Premiere Pro...rather use Edius or FCP...depending on the project.

Leave a comment:

• JPowell
    replied
    About the only program I won't minimize while it's doing its thing is Encore. I'm just superstitious about DVD burning I guess.

I always minimize Edius while PCE is rendering. Of course the little render progress box won't seem to go away on my 4.03 system. When I move it out of the way, the Edius monitors also pop up. Annoying to say the least. Does that behavior change in later builds?

Dave - I have core envy. I built the new quad box after the intel price drop, and it's very fast on AE CS3 -- But now I'm jonesing for 8 cores!! Oh well, $289 for 4 cores vs $2650 for 2 quad xeons...My gratification will have to be delayed :-)

Leave a comment:

• rando
    replied
    Doing other things while Edius renders?

Dave,
    Im not sure your post was meant to be taken all the seriously but in case it was. I bought a Mac Mini in addition to my I-mac and have both connected to my file server. So I capture on the mini and make DVDs while I edit on the I-mac. I use Edius to render to a AVI file back to the server then I import it into compressor 3 on the mini and let it convert it and make the disc. since I then can go back to my I-mac and start a new project I really dont care that much about render times on the mini.

Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• Aristotelis
    replied
    It would have been very nice if we could open multiple instances of Edius...(like AE)
    Last edited by Aristotelis; 08-23-2007, 02:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by EasternSP View Post
    I usually go get a sandwich or something to drink while my stuff is rendering. 8-)
    I have a second machine that's in use by my other Editor, but as always during renders I need to finish other stuff as well :)

Nowadays with my system, when I do work in AE, it takes muuuuuuuuuch less time to render than anything else. I don't have any coffee breaks anymore :)

MPEG2 encoding doesn't seem to have skyrocketed in speed with multi-core machines yet. I am doing 2pass VBR, and it's taking about 1hr 45 minutes to do a 1hr 58 minute timeline.

Leave a comment:

• EasternSP
    replied
    I usually go get a sandwich or something to drink while my stuff is rendering. 8-)

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Thanks Khoi!

The sad thing is I can't minimize Edius while it does it's thing, so it makes me think that something will go wrong. I never think that when I render in AE, because it quietly minimizes :)

Thanks for the heads up, I think I'll do some stuff via Photoshop CS2, since I need OSX for CS3, but oh well :)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X