Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tobe
    replied
    Thanks to all the "Daves" (and more) for the help.
    Tobe

Leave a comment:

• NakedEye
    replied
    You can configure how render files are handled when invalid in the user settings. Also you can delete the render files anytime you choose from the render options if for some reason you have an issue or just want a fresh render prior to export. You should not need more access than this...as Dave says it is seemless mostly in the background.

Best
    Dave.

Leave a comment:

• Red Union Films
    replied
    Originally posted by Tobe View Post
    I did some more testing. Nothing complicated. I use HDV encoded as HQ fine with images over them. I made some large jpgs into bmps, which can only help, and used those on the time line.

Added a Layouter 2D tilt down to the clip and I rendered Shift Q which worked fine. I timed that section as 27 secs to render and a few more to add clip to time line.

Note: The timeline would not playback real time with with either file format (images of 3600 x 2400 more or less) once I added the Layouter move...see signature for "old system" specs...that's why I don't mind rendering when I need to. I run a buffer of 169 frames which normally suffices in my 1440 x 1080 projects.

I removed the render and then redid the render with Alt Shift Q and that took slightly longer...30 secs to render...but of course no addition of clip to timeline.

Worked fine also...no problems either way.

So why does one take longer than the other or is that my imagination overworked on a hot day?

And, is there a way to "remove" the rendered section that I made with Alt Shift Q if I desire? Since there's no representation of this render on the time line, there's no easy way to get at it for removal.
    Hi Tobe.

I think the assumption is that when you render, you really do need the subsequent temp render file for your timeline to play in realtime. There would not be a visual reference to the temp as it is meant to be a seamless process in the back ground, who's only use is to help play a section of timeline in realtime. On this basis, there would be no real need to see or manipulate the temp file, at least this is my understanding of the process, maybe Steve or Pat could shine a light. If you really need access to the temps for any reason, you could always go and trawl through the temp folder at all the weirdly named files until you find the the right one or ones.

Cheers.

Dave.

Leave a comment:

• Tobe
    replied
    I did some more testing. Nothing complicated. I use HDV encoded as HQ fine with images over them. I made some large jpgs into bmps, which can only help, and used those on the time line.

Added a Layouter 2D tilt down to the clip and I rendered Shift Q which worked fine. I timed that section as 27 secs to render and a few more to add clip to time line.

Note: The timeline would not playback real time with with either file format (images of 3600 x 2400 more or less) once I added the Layouter move...see signature for "old system" specs...that's why I don't mind rendering when I need to. I run a buffer of 169 frames which normally suffices in my 1440 x 1080 projects.

I removed the render and then redid the render with Alt Shift Q and that took slightly longer...30 secs to render...but of course no addition of clip to timeline.

Worked fine also...no problems either way.

So why does one take longer than the other or is that my imagination overworked on a hot day?

And, is there a way to "remove" the rendered section that I made with Alt Shift Q if I desire? Since there's no representation of this render on the time line, there's no easy way to get at it for removal.

Leave a comment:

• Tobe
    replied
    Many thanks for the interesting thoughts by all on rendering. I don't use any effects except standard Edius dissolves and fades. Later today I'll get back to the edit machine and see what I can see...I'll try to be very careful and pay attention to what I'm doing. Then I'll report back.

I believe my rendering format is always set to HQ fine...will double check that also.

Leave a comment:

• pjsssss
    replied
    Originally posted by mattie View Post
    This extra processing is only when you ADD the rendered clip to the timeline as a new clip above the original footage.

Normal render and NOT add to the timeline is not affected.
    I think you are mistaken here. I will try and provide you a quick example for proving this later, but I am off to catch a plane now.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_SL
    replied
    Even when a video clip on a higher track covers another video clip on a lower track- Edius still processes the video on the lower track EVEN if you can't see it on the output monitor... So rendering and placing on the timeline will STILL process the original video underneath the render.

Either remove/mute the lower video OR use normal render which 'auto replaces' the original files on the fly
    This is not correct.

Leave a comment:

• Red Union Films
    replied
    This extra processing is only when you ADD the rendered clip to the timeline as a new clip above the original footage.

Hi Mattie.

Thanks for pointing that out, although I can't say that I have noticed it.

Cheers.

Dave.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied

what is going on in the tracks below the rendered and added above clip?

Adorage perhaps? If so, I can confirm

Leave a comment:

• mattie
    replied
    Originally posted by Red Union Films View Post
    Hi Tobe.

..As for Mattie's observation, that seems very interesting as it would seem to be defeating the object. Have not noticed this my self, crl alt q is all I usually do during the editing process and everything plays fine. I will check this again on a complex edit with lots of tracks. The render is supposed to generate an invisible or virtual track that just combines all the elements in the I/O area into a single file, whether they need rendering or not. Then as Steve said, it is played as if it where the top track..

Leave a comment:

• Red Union Films
    replied
    Hi Tobe.

What render format are you using? As Steve has said, this could be the problem. If you are using uncompressed for the renderer and your drive system is not fast enough to handle it, it would still skip and drop frames. Try setting something less demanding as the render format, like HQ or HQX, depending on your source footage. Sorry if I am pointing out the "bleeding obvious".

As for Mattie's observation, that seems very interesting as it would seem to be defeating the object. Have not noticed this my self, crl alt q is all I usually do during the editing process and everything plays fine. I will check this again on a complex edit with lots of tracks. The render is supposed to generate an invisible or virtual track that just combines all the elements in the I/O area into a single file, whether they need rendering or not. Then as Steve said, it is played as if it where the top track.

If a complex piece is going to be played with parts that are still being editied, I sometimes do an export and re-import the part back into the timeline. This stops the piece from having to be re-rendered everytime another track or part is being played with, that crosses into it's part of the timeline.

Re-rendering a render just starts all over again on the section of timeline being used, and will re-use any of the original render as long as nothing changed in any given part of the original render area. It all depends on what parts overlap into other parts and what has moved or edited, in the good old days I think it was called "smart rendering".

Tobe, I know you know what you are doing, so please forgive me for pointing out what you already know.

Cheers.

Dave.

Leave a comment:

• mattie
    replied
    Even when a video clip on a higher track covers another video clip on a lower track- Edius still processes the video on the lower track EVEN if you can't see it on the output monitor... So rendering and placing on the timeline will STILL process the original video underneath the render.

Either remove/mute the lower video OR use normal render which 'auto replaces' the original files on the fly

Leave a comment:

• pjsssss
    replied
    What is your audio? Since Shift Q only renders the video, it could be something there.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_SL
    replied
    Once you do a shift Q render that area should play realtime , provided that the render codec can play real time on your system.

No strength it is a straight file creation which is suppose the play as top layer.

can you post a screenshot of your timeline?

Leave a comment:

• Tobe
    replied
    just dissolves from one still to another (relatively high rez...still camera 12 mb pix) with layout zooms or fades on each. The hardest time is during the dissolves (no surprise there) ...I'll have to do some more tests to see exacly what might be involved...for instance are they all jpgs when the rendering is poor? My guess is yes...Probably mean lots of pix to be re-saved as bmps or tgas... :-)

I believe that when I use my scans (.bmps) things go better...
    Tomorrow I'll try to see if I can spot the times when this happens.

Still curious if there are various "strengths" of rendering?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X