Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth to upgrade from Edius NX PCI-E (with HD expansion card) to HD Storm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth to upgrade from Edius NX PCI-E (with HD expansion card) to HD Storm?

Hi friends!
    I'm working with Edius NX PCI-e card, 32 bit XP. Which is the smart one:

1-To Sell NX card (with 5.25" bay and HD expansion card) and buying HD Storm card or...
    2- To keep NX card and buying Edius 6.X software and wind 7 ultimate 64 bit. (both 1.000 usd in my country)

Which one is more efficient investment? And what will be advantages or disadvantages of those cards according to editing process?

Salutes.

Murat
    Last edited by murat unal; 07-07-2011, 12:04 PM.
    1. Intel D5400XS mainboard, GTX660, Dual Xeon X5450 CPU, 1 TB + 2X2 TB, 8 GB Ram, Edius NX for HD, E7.4, Win7 64 Bit.
    2. Asus X99 Deluxe, Geforce GTX 770, Intel 5960X 3.0 GHz, GSKILL 32GB DDR4, 250GB 840 EVO + 2X4 TB, 2X27" Philips IPS, 26" Samsung TV, Win7 64 Bit, E7.4 and HD Spark.

- EX1R, HXR-MC50E, 5D Mark II, Lumix GH4, Hero4 Black.
    - Rode NTG2, NTG3 and lavalier mikes.
    - DJI Phantom-2 with zenmuse H3D.
    - Sea&Sea housing for 5D Mark II, Ikelite housing for Sony HXR-MC50E.

It depends how pro active you want to be for the next version. I seriously doubt that the NX will be supported in the next version release. So, something in the newer card category would keep you up to date for a while longer.
    Jerry
    Six Gill DV

If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Main System:: Azrock z690 Taichi, [email protected], 64gb ram, Lian Li Galahad 360mm in push pull, Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL ROG case, 13 Lian Infinity fans, Win11 Pro , Samsung 980 1tb boot NVME, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, 2 TB WD 850x NVME, 1TB Samsung SSD, 12TB Raid 0, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, , Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Originally posted by murat unal View Post
      Hi friends!
      I'm working with Edius NX PCI-e card, 32 bit XP. Which is the smart one:

1-To Sell NX card (with 5.25" bay and HD expansion card) and buying HD Storm card or...
      2- To keep NX card and buying Edius 6.X software and wind 7 ultimate 64 bit. (both 1.000 usd in my country)

Which one is more efficient investment? And what will be advantages or disadvantages of those cards according to editing process?

Salutes.

Murat
      The main reason for upgrading to a newer card may be HDMI out instead of using the NX component out. So I would look at the HDSpark. You can have both cards, NX and HDSpark, in one computer and use them both with Edius.

Comment

A business decision - consider your expected revenue over time, and what limitations and capabilities each option gives. Is ther some external driver that would cause the NX to not meet your needs over the life of Edisu 6? What capability does an HD Storn add that you need now? Does Edius 6 give added capability that you can put to good use now, or in the near future? Are there third party products you use, or other emerging technologies that might factor into the decision process?

In general, technology costs tend to decrease over time compared to the capability the product provides, so if you can delay a technology expenditure you may be better off if you wait, or you may find a great deal on the product a bit later. And you have time to monitor the used market if you are open to that source.

If not a business decision - do what makes you happy.

Worth noting that WIN XP extended support is currently set to end in a ~2.5 years or so.

Comment

Keep the NX!!
          AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, RTX 3080, 64GB RAM, EDIUS X WG.

Comment

The question is will HD storm be supported in future versions ??????? Its already over 3 years old
            System Asus WS Z390 Pro MB, CPU i9 9900K, 32gb 3000mhz Ram, EVGA GTX1070TI, BM IP4K Win 10, BD Burner 1 Evo 840 and 4 Hotswap caddies
            Plugins Vistitle 2.8, TP7, NB TFX5
            Monitors Samsung 32 inch tv as main 1 LG M2350D,1 D2343 1 DM2350D as output to (3D) IP4K, PXW X70,Canon FX400

Comment

Hey there i think Keep the NX Card as i think it will be supported for some time yet! its a good product and alot of us on here have the card and USE it everyday. i think making the move to Strom is also a great idea but if you are happy with the NX support and output stick to it.
              Many thanks
              Dipesh Parmar (DIP)
              Unreel Eyes - http://unreeleyes.com

Hardware Used with Edius: -
              (3 x System with : - Intel i7 X990, Asus P6T Deluxe V2M/B, 24GB DDR3 Ram, Leadtek FX5000 & FX4000 Quadro Card, 2x 2TB Raid (1+0) Hard Disk Drive Setup, 6TB x 4 Network Storage Drive, Pionner & Sony Blu-Ray Drive, Firewire 800 + 400 PCI-e Card, Canopus NX PCI-e Card with Breakout Box, Canopus edius 6.51, 6.51, and edius 6.07).

Comment

I would say why are you considering the change? NX drivers just came out so there is no need to buy the Storm card to stay current.

How is your monitoring right now? Are you changing to HDMI monitors? These cards offer nothing other than a signal for output so the decision as I see it is about monitoring only.

As far as an investment, the best investment is the card you do not buy. You can use Edius 6 for years with the NX.
                Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

Bassman's right.

I tested the difference between component viewing of NX and HDMI viewing of HDStorm. There is no difference as long as you use good cables.
                  AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, RTX 3080, 64GB RAM, EDIUS X WG.

Comment

If everyone is so confident that the NX is going
                    to be supported for a while, well pm me and I will
                    sell you mine. I have a Storm 3G and prefer
                    it over the NX by leaps and bounds.
                    A one card solution, less heat and more room
                    in the case.

As far as the OP goes, keep your NX, but
                    start saving for a new card.
                    Jerry
                    Six Gill DV

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock z690 Taichi, [email protected], 64gb ram, Lian Li Galahad 360mm in push pull, Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL ROG case, 13 Lian Infinity fans, Win11 Pro , Samsung 980 1tb boot NVME, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, 2 TB WD 850x NVME, 1TB Samsung SSD, 12TB Raid 0, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, , Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Murat, are in the situation that Edius 6 comes bundled with the Storm card for close to the money for your Edius upgrade alone?

I do not know what stuff costs around the world. Maybe give some more info with prices and we can make better decisions with you.

Windows 7 64bit applies to both cards so that should be taken out of the equation.
                      Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by Zorro View Post
                        The main reason for upgrading to a newer card may be HDMI out instead of using the NX component out. So I would look at the HDSpark. You can have both cards, NX and HDSpark, in one computer and use them both with Edius.
                        I was not aware that you could have both the Spark and the NX running in the same computer at the same time. That seems like a good choice for some of us that have NX machines that may be moving up to HDMI monitors. My NX with its component out to a LG HD monitor looks exceptional. Of course that may be due to my tired old eyes and my other old monitors.

Ronnie
                        Ronnie Martin
                        Kato Video Productions
                        main system: custom built by Edit HD Ultma 277,Intel (R) core (TM) i7 2600K cpu 3.40 GHz 3.40Ghz, 16GB ram, Windows 7, Intel HD (R) graphics 3000, NVIDA Gforce GT 440, C drive Samsung SSD 850 pro, video drive WD 3TB SATA, 2 LG Bluray drives, External WD SATA 2TB storage/backup drives in thermaltake Black device. edius 8.3 WG

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                          If everyone is so confident that the NX is going
                          to be supported for a while, well pm me and I will
                          sell you mine. I have a Storm 3G and prefer
                          it over the NX by leaps and bounds.
                          A one card solution, less heat and more room
                          in the case.

As far as the OP goes, keep your NX, but
                          start saving for a new card.
                          Jerry why should someone move from the NX to the 3G when

- he doesn't need SDI in/out
                          - he still needs analog in and out
                          - he doesn't need to output 50p

(Side note: here in Europe the 3G is EUR 1.999,- incl. VAT)

I've never heard someone complaining about the heat regarding the NX' two board solution. But you sure know people who don't like the fan on the 3G.

The NX, and even more the SP, are still usable today, they even are listed as AVAILABLE on the GV page. Of course they will be EOL in the (near) future. But who knows what the future will bring, anyway? Today it's 6.03 with NX and SP support. Thanks GV for still supporting the cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorro View Post
                            Jerry why should someone move from the NX to the 3G when

- he doesn't need SDI in/out
                            - he still needs analog in and out
                            - he doesn't need to output 50p

(Side note: here in Europe the 3G is EUR 1.999,- incl. VAT)

I've never heard someone complaining about the heat regarding the NX' two board solution. But you sure know people who don't like the fan on the 3G.

The NX, and even more the SP, are still usable today, they even are listed as AVAILABLE on the GV page. Of course they will be EOL in the (near) future. But who knows what the future will bring, anyway? Today it's 6.03 with NX and SP support. Thanks GV for still supporting the cards.
                            As far as the fan, I can't hear it at all.

At no time did I suggest that the OP purchase a Storm 3G. I said that I had the Storm 3G and prefered it. The Storm 3g has analog in and out by way of the SDI and the Decklink Broadcast converter.

My whole involvement in this thread was to get the point across that while the NX drivers are out now for Edius 6, I really believe that it is quite unlikely that GV will spend any more man-hours on the NX product. So, if the OP is considering changing hardware, now would be the time to sell the NX(while it is worth something) and get something newer that will be supported in upcoming versions. Otherwise, use the NX and be happy.

Remember, GV is a hardware company first and foremost. If you are expecting Rex 10 year support, you can forget that. This is not to diminish the NX product. It is a good product.
                            But, it does not have HDMI and cannot be flashed to do 10bit.

This is a .pdf of current Edius 6 turnkey interfaces. Notice what is missing from this .pdf. Just Read between the lines.

http://www.grassvalley.com/docs/Prod...nkey_Brief.pdf
                            Last edited by Jerry; 07-07-2011, 11:50 PM.
                            Jerry
                            Six Gill DV

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

I appreciate you all and your opinions. I'll keep my NX-Express card, I upgraded Edius 6.03 for 5 hundred Euros. I'm using Win 7 ultimate 64 bit. I think this combo is efficient for a while. Thank you all...
                              1. Intel D5400XS mainboard, GTX660, Dual Xeon X5450 CPU, 1 TB + 2X2 TB, 8 GB Ram, Edius NX for HD, E7.4, Win7 64 Bit.
                              2. Asus X99 Deluxe, Geforce GTX 770, Intel 5960X 3.0 GHz, GSKILL 32GB DDR4, 250GB 840 EVO + 2X4 TB, 2X27" Philips IPS, 26" Samsung TV, Win7 64 Bit, E7.4 and HD Spark.

- EX1R, HXR-MC50E, 5D Mark II, Lumix GH4, Hero4 Black.
                              - Rode NTG2, NTG3 and lavalier mikes.
                              - DJI Phantom-2 with zenmuse H3D.
                              - Sea&Sea housing for 5D Mark II, Ikelite housing for Sony HXR-MC50E.

Comment

Working...
                              X