What is the best way of doing this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way of doing this?

I have downloaded and converted my Hi8 files to a digital format and am using Edius 6.03 to "spruce them up" a bit. I have added sharpening (anywhere from 30 to 45) and used the YUV curves to adjust the picture. All is fine so far. The files are to be watched on a Plasma 50" HD TV.
    Question: Using TMPEnc 5, do I leave these files as SD or do I change them to 1440x1080 50i files for the best viewing on the TV? (or is there any other format that will produce a better result?)
    i7 3930K, Win 10 pro 64 Bit.
    RAM 32 GB.
    ASUS P9X79-Deluxe.
    PS Thermaltake 1kW.
    Graphics Gigabyte GTX1660 OC.
    OS:Intel 535 SSD 480 GB, Data: two 2TB WD Cavier Black, RAID 0.
    Cameras: Sony EX1, AX100, x1000v, A7R4, DJI Mavic 2 Pro
    SW: Edius v8.53 WG & 9.52 WG, Vegas 17 Pro, CS6, Resolve Studio 16, Hitfilm 2017, Sound Forge 13, SpectraLayers Pro v6.0, Neat Video v5, Vistitle 2.8.5 TMPEnc VMWorks 7, Auth. Works 6, MochaPro v4.1, Robuskey, DVD Architect 7, 3D LUT Creator.

30 to 45 sharpening seems an awful lot

did you place these SD Hi8 files in an HD project? if so, that would explain it

you should add these files to an SD project and also encode SD with T5

if you have a DVD player with HDMI out, it will do a great job upscaling
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Thank you Anton, I will follow your advice and leave them as SD. The sharpening is a lot I agree, many of the shots were taken with poor stage lighting, I then used Neat Video to reduce the (bad) grain on the clips, and sharpening to try and bring out some of the performers features. Do you have any suggestions on improving on this workflow?
      RAM 32 GB.
      ASUS P9X79-Deluxe.
      PS Thermaltake 1kW.
      SW: Edius v8.53 WG & 9.52 WG, Vegas 17 Pro, CS6, Resolve Studio 16, Hitfilm 2017, Sound Forge 13, SpectraLayers Pro v6.0, Neat Video v5, Vistitle 2.8.5 TMPEnc VMWorks 7, Auth. Works 6, MochaPro v4.1, Robuskey, DVD Architect 7, 3D LUT Creator.

Comment

how did you capture?

ideally, it should have been captured via S-video by going through a full frame TBC with built in Y and C NR
        Anton Strauss
        Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

A few years ago I converted all my Hi8 tapes to digital using the SVHS connection from my old Sony Hi8 camera to the Sony TRV900 I used then. I then used the digital copies in Edius to edit the data and produce a 1 hr Master copy. I am now wanting to view these on my 50" Panasonic plasma. I do have a Panasonic Blu Ray player with HDMI output to the TV. I will be putting all these "old" videos onto a hard disk connected to my WD HD Live unit for viewing. Due to bad indor lighting the original tapes were rather grainy and under exposed to a degree, hence the use of Neat Video and sharpening.
          RAM 32 GB.
          ASUS P9X79-Deluxe.
          PS Thermaltake 1kW.

Comment

My impression from reading old reviews from ~1998 or so is that the TRV900 does a decent job of recording analog input to MiniDV tape. But it does not allow user signal adjustment prior to recording to tape, so you are blessed (or stuck depending on yo point of view) with the Sony default signal processing. This is not likely to hurt the imge resolution with Hi8 soruce material, but you might get better results if the analog output from the Hi8 player was passed through TBC or equivalent video signal processor to allow user adjustments; e.g., noise filtering, peaking, color correction, contrast, brightness, etc. Prior to conversion to MiniDV and subsequent capture by a computer.

A product such as the ADVC-300 can provide some of this capability. Worth looking into if you have a significant amount of tape to capture, and are not seatisfied with the results uning the TRV900 tapes. Of course, you need to have a decent working Hi8 player.

My expereince is that original 8mm, VHS, S-VHS, and Hi8 material look pretty bad (compared to HDV/HD material) when viewed on a HD set, even if played from the original tape. Inthe end I just sit far from the screen, and trust to the up-rez performancne of the BD/DVD player and the image imperfection softening effects of aging eyes.

Comment

Working...
            X