Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrassValley_MD
    replied
    If you try a different format to capture to it doesn't work... Always try to match the capture type to the original :)

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Geoff View Post
    Jerry,

I see that you mentioned that you capture HDV using the Intensity Pro card. Do you do this using BM's own capture software or have you found a way of using it directly from Edius? Also, have you found a way of using the Intensity card for monitoring, either using the composite or HDMI outputs, from within Edius?

Geoff
    No, Intensity does NOT work with Edius, no way no how. However, the files do as long as you have the correct codecs on that particular machine.

I have two different systems that are on a gigabit network. I capture with
    Premiere Pro CS3 and can use the file wherever. I either capture uncompressed or motion jpeg. Both work well in Edius. As I said, if I have too
    many layers I just convert in the bin to HQ. Since it is already 1920x1080, the HQ file becomes 1920x1080. This reduces the effort that Edius has to put out in 1920x1080 preset. If the file is 1440x1080 it has to upconvert on the fly.
    The Blackmagic MJPG codec runs pretty close to the HQ file, as far as RT, in Edius. Close but not exactly.
    I just prefer to use the square pixel setting.
    If we could get a card from GV that would do this, I think it would be well received( SDI, HDMI).

Leave a comment:

• Geoff
    replied
    Jerry,

I see that you mentioned that you capture HDV using the Intensity Pro card. Do you do this using BM's own capture software or have you found a way of using it directly from Edius? Also, have you found a way of using the Intensity card for monitoring, either using the composite or HDMI outputs, from within Edius?

Geoff

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveT View Post
    Well, now that makes sense. But maybe it should be better defined in the settings? If a person comes in and doesn understand the tech-specs of all this HDV stuff, he might want to do 1920x1080 and think something is broken when it doesn't work.
    Actually, it's in the builtin documentation with the app - pull up the Help, and look up Input and Output. It provides expanded info to what you see in the application, and drops the name "ADVCHDM1" in there too.

Can't believe that little box is around $6,500!
    It's now available for $5499 (till Sept 30th)

Leave a comment:

• DaveT
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
    Specifically, the profiles (both HQ and MPEG TS) are for the ADVCHDM1, which performs HD-SDI-to-FireWire (Full Res MPEG-2 HD) conversion.
    Well, now that makes sense. But maybe it should be better defined in the settings? If a person comes in and doesn understand the tech-specs of all this HDV stuff, he might want to do 1920x1080 and think something is broken when it doesn't work.

Can't believe that little box is around $6,500! Cheaper to just get a firewire card in our DVCPro HD deck and some of the new HDCam decks offer firewire options to where it'll convert HDCam to HDV. :p

I love the idea of it though. Even looked at it, until I saw that price and since we'd need a few couldn't get the OK. :(

Dave

Leave a comment:

• DaveT
    replied
    Originally posted by Khoi Pham View Post
    1920x1080/59.94i is for hd not hdv.
    I know that, but it's under the HDV Input settings....so to me, it's just confusing.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    Specifically, the profiles (both HQ and MPEG TS) are for the ADVCHDM1, which performs HD-SDI-to-FireWire (Full Res MPEG-2 HD) conversion.

Leave a comment:

• Khoi Pham
    replied
    OK, I can confirm that using Generic HDV Input --> Canopus HQ 1920x1080/59.94i _does not_ work....but using Generic HDV Input --> Canoput HQ 1440x1080/59.94i does.

So, to me, I think that the 1920x1080 option is a mistake. And probably shouldn't be there.

Also have the same issue when trying to capture it as MPEG-TS...1920x1080 does not work but 1440x1080 does.
    1920x1080/59.94i is for hd not hdv.

Leave a comment:

• DaveT
    replied
    OK, I can confirm that using Generic HDV Input --> Canopus HQ 1920x1080/59.94i _does not_ work....but using Generic HDV Input --> Canoput HQ 1440x1080/59.94i does.

So, to me, I think that the 1920x1080 option is a mistake. And probably shouldn't be there.

Also have the same issue when trying to capture it as MPEG-TS...1920x1080 does not work but 1440x1080 does.

Leave a comment:

• DaveT
    replied
    Edius gives you BOTH options to capture HDV at 1920x1080 or 1440x1080. I will admit that I haven't captured HDV through 4.51 yet. But what's the point to offer you the option of capturing HDV at 1920x1080 if it's not going to work.

When capturing DVCPro HD through firewire, it forces you to use its native resolution....but it also forces you to use the DVCPro HD codec and not options to use the HQ codec during firewire capture, so maybe both options for HDV is a mistake?

Beyond that, offering the option of capturing to the HQ codec at a full 1920x1080 or the native resolution of the format is something Edius has done for awhile. I have never had a problem with using either capture setting. And when I tell it to capture at 1920x1080 it captures at a a full 1920x1080 w/ a 1.0 PAR. So my question is....is Edius taking the 1920x1080 HD-SDI output from the DVCProHD/HDCam decks and resizing it back to their native resolution? Isn't all this scaling actually hurting the video quality? The decks might record at 1440x1080, 1280x1080, or 960x720, but the video output of the decks are 1920x1080 themselves...unless there's some setting in the decks I dunno about.

OK, time to get back on topic. So yeah, if the 1920x1080 option for HDV isn't going to work why offer the setting.

Dave
    Last edited by DaveT; 08-22-2007, 07:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy View Post
    the steps outlined earlier by Bandman are correct for capture of HDV direct to the Canopus HQ codec in full HD (1920x1080)

the process works fine in 4.24, I haven't tested it yet in 4.51
    I just did the test and as far as I can remember, that is the way it has worked since
    we were able to do HD in Edius.

Please check your actual file under properties to see if it states 1920x1080.
    I realize you are using it under the 1920x1080 preset, but the actual file more than likely will be captured to 1440x1080. If you are capturing that file in full raster 1920x1080, open a 1440x1080 preset and import the file. The file will not change under the preset and under properties it will still say 1920x1080.
    Please report back to confirm this.
    Last edited by Jerry; 08-21-2007, 11:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    Adbear is correct - to my knowledge, it only ever records HDV at 1440x1080, which means your capture profile should always match the data on the tape.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    But as the Sony HVRZ1U records at 1440x1080i it would make more sense to expect it to work better using the 1440x1080i settings

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    Edius does not capture the video and the Staus progress bar does not display. This procedure worked in Edius 4.1

Are you sure you captured in 4.1 to a 1920x1080 file size?
    If you were, I would like to know the procedure.

the steps outlined earlier by Bandman are correct for capture of HDV direct to the Canopus HQ codec in full HD (1920x1080)

the process works fine in 4.24, I haven't tested it yet in 4.51
    Last edited by Andy; 08-21-2007, 02:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bandman
    replied
    Problem with HDV Capture

>Are you sure you captured in 4.1 to a 1920x1080 file size?<
    Yes.

>Change your capture setting to 1440x1080 and it should work.<
    It is working, now. I suppose it's possible Edius 4.51c is more sensative to this setting than v4.1.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X