How to create an SD DVD with an additional Data file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create an SD DVD with an additional Data file

I have a completed fifteen minute HD project downconverted to SD that is simple to burn right from the timeline. I do it all the time. Is it possible to create a DVD that contains my completed fifteen minute production AND a H.264 data file (1280 x 720 for HD) on the same DVD? I need the DVD to be able to play in any typical DVD player but also give my client access to the H.264 HD file so it can be uploaded to Vimeo. Thanks for the help.
    David
    DMS Films, New York

Laptop - Edius 7.42 / Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition Desktop / 3.6GHz/4.0GHZ / 32GB Hyper-X Quad Channel 1600MHz Ram / Nvidia GeForce GTX-880 w/ 8GB of GDDR5 Video Memory / (3) 1TB SATA-3 V-NAND SSD / Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Desktop - Edius 5.5 / Intel i7 975 Quad Core 3.33GHz / 12GB DDR3 1333MHz / Nvidia GeForce GTX-275 / Vis Title 1.1 / FireCoder-Blu / (2) 27" LCDs / JVC DT-V24L1U (24" 1080p) / Windows Vista 64 - www.EditHD.com

If you select the "Disk Image" output option instead of burning directly to a disk, you will get a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder that you would then burn to disk using your favorite burning tool. You could add the H.264 file to the root of the disk that way.

Comment

Maybe it's because I've been editing for days but I'm lost. I never do anything other than burn to disk so how exactly would I select the Disk Image option versus burning directly? I also don't ever have the need to use a different "favorite burning tool" so is there anything within Edius I can use?

If I can somehow figure out how to use your method would the dvd play the primary project automatically if put into a dvd player? Thanks again.
      Last edited by DMS Video; 06-30-2011, 10:31 PM.
      David
      DMS Films, New York

Laptop - Edius 7.42 / Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition Desktop / 3.6GHz/4.0GHZ / 32GB Hyper-X Quad Channel 1600MHz Ram / Nvidia GeForce GTX-880 w/ 8GB of GDDR5 Video Memory / (3) 1TB SATA-3 V-NAND SSD / Windows 8.1 64-bit
      Desktop - Edius 5.5 / Intel i7 975 Quad Core 3.33GHz / 12GB DDR3 1333MHz / Nvidia GeForce GTX-275 / Vis Title 1.1 / FireCoder-Blu / (2) 27" LCDs / JVC DT-V24L1U (24" 1080p) / Windows Vista 64 - www.EditHD.com

Comment

I don't have access to Edius or the Disk Burner app at the moment so I may not use the exact option names, but the Disk Burner dialog has a checkbox to enable the output to a disk image. Ordinarily I'd expect that to be a ISO image, but it will in fact result in the creation of the aforementioned VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders.

If you instruct Disk Burner to output to D:\TEST, you'd get D:\TEST\VIDEO_TS and D:\TEST_AUDIO_TS -- the former folder will contain your video and audio, the second folder will be empty (the folder is intended for audio-only DVDs).

You could then put your H.264 file in D:\TEST and burn everything to a DVD using Nero or another program. The DVD will still play in a normal DVD player because it will only look for the files in the VIDEO_TS folder, but a computer user could manually select the H.264 file in the root of the disk. Some standalone DVD and Blu-Ray players may also be capable of playing back the H.264 file, but there is no real standard for this.

Comment

I've been working on it since your first reply. It's rendering out as I type but I think I made a mistake by burning both files. Next I'll try not using the AUDIO_TS as you suggested because it's for audio only DVDs. Should be interesting to see if this works. I'm using Corel Burn Now.

Cheers
          David
          DMS Films, New York

Comment

It is normal for DVDs to contain an empty AUDIO_TS folder. It isn't required for video DVDs, but some DVD decoders / players may look for it and not recognize the disk as valid if it isn't present. It would not remove it prior to burning the contents to disk.

Comment

It actually worked both ways I tried it. however, based on your recommendation I'm going to use the version WITH the AUDIO_TS folder. Thanks for all your help.
              David
              DMS Films, New York

Comment

Working...
              X