Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1080p50 --> 1080p50 and DVD Workflow

Hi.

I am using Edius since v6, so i am a little bit new to this.

My Camera is capable of recording in 1920x1080p50.

After some testings i am using a workflow as you can see below.
    (I was not very happy with Edius internal H.264 encoder)

1. Importing original files to edius
    2. creating proxy files (because my computer is to slow for editing in realtime)
    3. exporting final edit to Canopus HQ online (fine)
    4. importing final edit in Staxrip
    5. exporting with Staxrip and x264/AAC to 1920x1080p50 with --crf 18 setting
    6. FINISHED!

For SD-Output only:

7. Importing final edit (Canopus HQ) TMPEG Mastering Works
    8. Exporting to MPEG2/PAL with HQ Setting and Lanczos resizing for very sharp SD-output

What do you thing about my worklflow? I am very happy with the quality, but is there any way to make it better or more easy?

Thank you guys :)
    Edius NEO 6, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (6x3200Mhz), 2x1 GB RAM, Geforce GT430 GPU (1024MB), 10TB HDDs

I do exactly the same - export HQ avi into staxRip which uses X264 engine.

Best workflow I have found yet.

I wish edius would support VFW codecs then we could get access to the x264 codec directly within edius.

Anyways - for now this is about the best way to get high quality MP4 files.

x264 is THE BEST encoder engine out now - and its free in StaxRip!
    Even TMPGEnc use this in their latest software (thats not free!)

Comment

Don't forget MPEG 2 HD still works and looks great. It is soooo much faster to produce a BD with MPEG2 HD than with any H.264 encoder. If you need to push more onto the disc, yes, H.264 works well. But, why go to all of the extra effort when you can knock out your project hours faster if you are not filling a disc.
      Jerry
      Six Gill DV
      www.sgdvtutorials.com
      If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
      http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
      Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
        Don't forget MPEG 2 HD still works and looks great. It is soooo much faster to produce a BD with MPEG2 HD than with any H.264 encoder. If you need to push more onto the disc, yes, H.264 works well. But, why go to all of the extra effort when you can knock out your project hours faster if you are not filling a disc.
        most 264 files are for uploading to websites (youtube,vimeo,etc) and Mpeg2 files are simply too big compared with MP4

Comment

As I said, if you are not filling the disk to it's
          max, there is no need to sit there waiting
          for encoding.
          Jerry
          Six Gill DV
          www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
          Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Yes, you're right!

If i need quick and high compressed files, MPEG2 ist a very good thing.
            But i always use 80Mbit CBR because i dont know what VBR Setting is safe to use with 1080p50.

Maybe 50Mbit VBR is very good, but i dont know. what do you think?
            Can i go with 50Mbit for transparent quality out of edius?
            Or do i have to use external encoders?

Edius NEO 6, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (6x3200Mhz), 2x1 GB RAM, Geforce GT430 GPU (1024MB), 10TB HDDs

Comment

Yes, X264 is the best encoder available.

I use crf18 for high quality output and archiving.
              For resized 720p i use crf23 because quality is still very good and the files are very small to share it.

:)

Originally posted by mattie View Post
              I do exactly the same - export HQ avi into staxRip which uses X264 engine.

Best workflow I have found yet.

I wish edius would support VFW codecs then we could get access to the x264 codec directly within edius.

Anyways - for now this is about the best way to get high quality MP4 files.

x264 is THE BEST encoder engine out now - and its free in StaxRip!
              Even TMPGEnc use this in their latest software (thats not free!)

Comment

48 is the max under the BD spec....unless
                something has changed.
                I use
                35k max
                25-30k average
                5k minimum
                these work fine in both Mpeg2 HD and AVC.
                Jerry
                Six Gill DV
                www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

Hm, 25-30k average? thats low bitrate encoing. what kind of encoder are you using?
                  the internal encoder produces artifacts in 1080p50. are you encoding for blueray? BD supports 25p or 50i only, so you only have half resolution in hight and 25-30mbit is ok.

48 is the max under the BD spec....unless
                  something has changed.
                  I use
                  35k max
                  25-30k average
                  5k minimum
                  these work fine in both Mpeg2 HD and AVC.

Comment

Blu-Ray has a max of 48mbps combined audio and video, of which 40 can be video and the rest audio. You can put any combination of audio and video as long as it doesn't exceed the max.

Here are some screen shots to look at.
                    Procoder 3

MPEG 2 HD

H.264

Edius Encoder-CBR You can use VBR as well.

Adobe Media Encoder

Mpeg 2 HD

H.264

My use of 35k was incorrect. It is 35mbps. I have always said k...my bad.
                    These are settings that work.

It is great that your camera will shoot 50p. What distribution media is using that format? Certainly not BD in full raster. You will end up going to a different format for distribution which defeats the purpose of that whole 50 60 p thingy.
                    It is always best to shoot, edit, convert and deliver in the same format and frame rate from the beginning to the end of a project.

There are other encoders that use similar settings.
                    VBR is used to get extra space out of a disc. CBR works just fine but I prefer the ability to adjust for blacks and titles without having to use the full bitrate at that spot.

You said the internal encoder in Edius produces artifacts in 50p. Are you going to BD 1280x720 with that? If it is for BD that is the only resolution that will work with 50p.
                    AME is slow as well and the Main Concept encoder is so so in CS4. I understand it is much improved in CS5.5.

X264 is a very good encoder but it takes way to long to produce a disc. With adjustments to the Mpeg 2 HD bitrates extra room is made available. But if you are trying to squeeze every little drop out of a disc, x264 or TMPGE 5 will do the job.

As far as the best encoder, I don't know. I still would prefer Cinecraft any day of the week. http://www.cinemacraft.com/en/index.html
                    Jerry
                    Last edited by Jerry; 12-11-2011, 09:56 PM.
                    Jerry
                    Six Gill DV
                    www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

Well, i dont want to create any discs for my own. i use a external mediaplayer that supports 1080p50. i use 1080p50 for my archive and 720p for my friends, but distribute only mkv files on BD and DVD. no need to author a bd, beacause i dont like bd. :)
                      Scallywag
                      Last edited by Scallywag; 07-02-2011, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X