Camera Flash Effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Flash Effect

I'm trying to do a camera flash bulb effect in Edius 6.

I need to create a paparatzi look outside a restauant as a car pulls up.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim
    Vista 64 * Asus P6* Intel i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz CPU * 12 gigs Corsair * Nvidia GTX 275 * WD 150 gig 10,000 rpm System drive * (2) Hitachi 750 gig Video drives * (2) WD 1 TB Video drives * HD Spark * Edius 6.02, Imaginate, Adobe AE, Photoshop, Illustrator

Very easy...

I use the video filter / Color Correction / Dark & Bright

Use keyframes, set a keyframe, move a frame on and add another keyframe. Set this one with the brightness increased until it bleaches out. I set mine to max.

Then move on another frame, add a keyframe, this time reverting back to the setting of the first keyframe.

If you want a slightly longer effect, just increase the distance between the keyframes.

Repeat as often as you want the flashes. This is quite quick by copying and pasting the original keyframes
    Last edited by John Hooper; 06-05-2011, 07:11 PM.
    Edius 8.53WG, Vistitle 2.8, Windows 10 x64 Pro Fall Update, Asus Z87 Pro, Intel i7-4770K, 16 GB 1600 Corsair Vengence LP RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, WD Black 2TB media drive, Intel HD 4600 GPU, MSI GTX660 2GB VGA, Coolermaster Silencio 652 case, Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler, Cakewalk UA-25EX USB audio interface, Cakewalk MA-15D monitor speakers, BM Intensity Pro 4K, PlextorPX-LB950SA BD writer, Dell U2410 Monitor

Comment

If you search here, I have given instructions on how to do a very nice White Flash if you are looking for it. You can also save it as a User Preset. You might want to drop the opacity a bit.
      Last edited by pjsssss; 06-06-2011, 01:32 AM.

Comment

i just put one frame of a white clip before the image/video and lay in a camera flash wav file

Comment

Look to the ProDad Vitascene\ PhotoFlash

Comment

Originally posted by serge26117 View Post
            Look to the ProDad Vitascene\ PhotoFlash
            Hey All,
            Tried different ideas and settled on this one.
            In this clip there are two sets of flashes.

1. As she steps out of the car you'll see a few flashes done the old fashion way with a white chip. I didn't like the full frame white flash. Did not look real.

2. The flashes a few seconds later on the car were done in Vitascene but not with photoflash. I used one of the glow filters and then I...well check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZZrzqa_BZA

ps; the webpage at the end was all done in the Edius 6 layouter. We use to do it in AfterEffects. Love the new 6.

jim
            Last edited by JimJulian; 06-10-2011, 08:24 AM.
            Vista 64 * Asus P6* Intel i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz CPU * 12 gigs Corsair * Nvidia GTX 275 * WD 150 gig 10,000 rpm System drive * (2) Hitachi 750 gig Video drives * (2) WD 1 TB Video drives * HD Spark * Edius 6.02, Imaginate, Adobe AE, Photoshop, Illustrator

Comment

Quick Flash

Originally posted by JimJulian View Post
              I'm trying to do a camera flash bulb effect in Edius 6.

I need to create a paparatzi look outside a restauant as a car pulls up.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim
              Hey the quick way is create a PSD (Photoshop) file with a white background, and use that on the timeline and make is really short in lenght, its works fine...
              Many thanks
              Dipesh Parmar (DIP)
              Unreel Eyes - http://unreeleyes.com

Hardware Used with Edius: -
              (3 x System with : - Intel i7 X990, Asus P6T Deluxe V2M/B, 24GB DDR3 Ram, Leadtek FX5000 & FX4000 Quadro Card, 2x 2TB Raid (1+0) Hard Disk Drive Setup, 6TB x 4 Network Storage Drive, Pionner & Sony Blu-Ray Drive, Firewire 800 + 400 PCI-e Card, Canopus NX PCI-e Card with Breakout Box, Canopus edius 6.51, 6.51, and edius 6.07).

Comment

Hmmm...

I reviewed the results produced by Jim and frankly I thought it was fantastic - very realistic

Great job, Jim
                Intel Quad Core Extreme 3GHz/12M, 4Gb RAM, 2Tb Hot-swap (ARAID), NVIDIA GeoForce 8800 GTS, Edius Broadcast 4.61 / Edius 5.5, Procoder 3, DVDit Pro HD, Sonicfire Pro 5, Mercalli, Vitascene, Adorage. TwinPact 100, Pegasus, TMPro. VirtualDub

Comment

This may or may not be a factor to consider: Current photoflash are typically a strobe, and the duration of the flash is on the order of 1/1000 sec or less, or all in one field plus time for any CCD/CMOS sensor recovery artifacts.

If you are trying to emulate leagacy flash bulbs, the flash duration will be much longer with lower peak brightness, on the order of 1/30 sec. or so with a marked peak early in the flash and a gradual decline. The brightness/time curve will depend on the type of flashbulb used (F, M, S, etc.) and could easily have effects present in 3 fields. The FP (for use with focal plane shutter) bulbs had a longer, flatter curve than conventional bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by dpalomaki View Post
                    This may or may not be a factor to consider: Current photoflash are typically a strobe, and the duration of the flash is on the order of 1/1000 sec or less, or all in one field plus time for any CCD/CMOS sensor recovery artifacts.

If you are trying to emulate leagacy flash bulbs, the flash duration will be much longer with lower peak brightness, on the order of 1/30 sec. or so with a marked peak early in the flash and a gradual decline. The brightness/time curve will depend on the type of flashbulb used (F, M, S, etc.) and could easily have effects present in 3 fields. The FP (for use with focal plane shutter) bulbs had a longer, flatter curve than conventional bulbs.
                    you're having a laugh - as if anyone is gonna notice (or care) all this when watching a music video. comeone

Comment

Originally posted by pjsssss View Post
                      If you search here, I have given instructions on how to do a very nice White Flash if you are looking for it. You can also save it as a User Preset. You might want to drop the opacity a bit.

http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...ht=White+Flash
                      Tony

Fractal Design Define XL R2 Full tower- Asrock Z490 Taichi - i9-10850K -- 250GB 860 EVO- 32GBVengeance LPX- Blackmagic IP4K-- Geforce GTX 1070 Founders Edition -- EVGA G3 850 PSU-- Corsair H100i Pro XT- LG Blu-Ray writer- MxM PCI-e Reader-- EDIUS X WG- Win 10 Pro 64bit.

Comment

Jim,
                        The results were very impressive!
                        Good to see your station working so well with E6.

Did you use Mask to do the sky color of the car shot at 00:29?
                        Pretty neat!
                        Rusty Rogers | Films
                        >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
                        >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
                        Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                          Jim,
                          The results were very impressive!
                          Good to see your station working so well with E6.

Did you use Mask to do the sky color of the car shot at 00:29?
                          Pretty neat!
                          Hey Rusty,
                          Here is the completed spot for Mercedes USA. Most of the commercial was shot with a $275 GoPro.

http://www.kron4.com/SalesWeb/MercedesTestDrive.aspx

Gradient sky and color correction was done with Magic Bullet Looks throughout the spot. Oddly, all the night stuff was not touched.

Jim

Comment

Hey Tony,
                            Not quite what I was looking for. That is used more for transitions. Real camera light bulb flashes tend to conform to objects they are hitting, seldom fill the screen, and are very unpredictable in how they look.

jim

Comment

Real camera light bulb flashes tend to conform to objects they are hitting...
                              Excellent point. Flashes tend to act like a point source at a finite distance from the object being photographed, with fall-off the further a point is from the flash-subject axis depending on the flash beam width. Because they are ~point sources objects further from the flash receive less light. And if you consider bounce flash, multiple flashs, etc. it gets more complciatiod. The effect on the image content will depend on the shot compositon and where the flash is located and aimed relative to the camera and the object on the scene. A white field is probably a reasonable approximation for a bright flash in a small, light room where everything goes white-out, but not for many other settings.

Comment

Working...
                              X