Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Truly
    replied
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to this sooner... I've been swamped.

Thanks for the info guys. I have ordered my Blu_Ray burner and player and will be delving in shortly.

Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• wags
    replied
    Well here comes HD DVD fighting back.
    http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/arts/...in&oref=slogin

This is just stupid.

I'm sure china will make cheap drives that play both and people will make crack programs so they can play them on their computers.

This having to have a HDCP-compliant card/display to play commercial titles on your computer is crazy. So you have to buy a whole new graphics card and monitor or screen or TV or Projector that has HDCP to play commercial Blu-Rays at full res on you computer.

Home made Blu_Rays will play full res fine with a normal computer screen even from a normal red laser DVD disk.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    The content on the timeline will be interpreted as interlaced data, which matters most when exporting.

If you exported a 1920 x 1080 60i timeline out through ProCoder 3 to a 1920 x 1080 30p MPEG-2 target, the resulting footage will more than likely look incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• kwshaw1
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
    Currently EDIUS does not offer a 1920 x 1080 progressive project preset.
    But there is a 1920x1080 60i preset, so what would happen if he dropped his animations into that? Any pluses or minuses for such a situation by using the full-res 60i project setting versus 1440x1080 progressive?

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Truly View Post
    I am contemplating creating my Blu-Ray disc project at 1080 rather than 720. In looking at the Edius project settings, I see 1080i offered but no 1080p... so I guess Edius doesn't do this particular format?

My animation setting would be 1920x1080 30fps no fields. So will this present any problems trying to use this HQ clip in a 1920x1080i project?

(I'm a bit baffled by all this 30p over 60i stuff as you can tell).
    Currently EDIUS does not offer a 1920 x 1080 progressive project preset. You can however, create 1440 x 1080 progressive projects and ultimately output 1440x1080/30p MPEG-2 data with the MPEG (Generic) exporter. The preset exists for Generic OHCI output - unsure of NX/SP since I don't have one installed in my system to confirm.

The preset exists to support Canon (30F) and Sony (30p over 60i) implementations. The output from this preset is genuine progressive material.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Truly
    replied
    Kevin,

Thanks for the info and the link. While I hate buying on the bleeding edge since it'll be obsolete before I receive them, I've got to deliver for my clients so it's worth it.

Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• kwshaw1
    replied
    P.S. See this discussion regarding the best current standalone players:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=13852

Leave a comment:

• kwshaw1
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
    Ok guys, time steer this one back on topic or I close it down.
    I think we're on topic in relation to item 4 of the original post, but let's see if we can answer some of the other question.

(1) You will need to render to a format which is recognizable by your Blu-ray authoring software, and standard Edius HDV output may not work. See the Roxio Blu-ray user forums for more details.

(2) Blu-ray authoring is currently best supported in Adobe CS3 and Sonic DVDit Pro HD. DVD-Lab isn't there yet but Ulead's DVD MovieFactory Pro claims some support...I'm not sure how good the latter is. Authoring process is roughly the same as for SD but I've heard of people having trouble burning to disc from CS3, so try rendering an image file first and then burning from that (use another application like Nero or Toast if necessary for the final burn).

(3) Blu-ray burners are advancing rapidly and Pioneer just announced a new model which significantly improves on their earlier one. Consider buying a 4X burner if you can afford a few extra bucks for that over a 2X one, even though 4X discs aren't widely available yet. (Once the faster discs are available that could save you significant time for burning a long project.)

(4) Good point about wanting a professional solution for courtroom use. Of the standalone burners I understand the Samsungs and some others are working well now while Sonys may not be. You might also consider using an upsampling SD DVD player and widescreen SD DVDs if the Blu-ray approach proves too problematic for now.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Truly
    replied
    Kenneally,

Sorry. How bout this for steering back on track.

I am contemplating creating my Blu-Ray disc project at 1080 rather than 720. In looking at the Edius project settings, I see 1080i offered but no 1080p... so I guess Edius doesn't do this particular format?

My animation setting would be 1920x1080 30fps no fields. So will this present any problems trying to use this HQ clip in a 1920x1080i project?

(I'm a bit baffled by all this 30p over 60i stuff as you can tell).

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    Ok guys, time steer this one back on topic or I close it down.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Truly
    replied
    Ahhh... thanks for explaining this.

So the other manufacturers WILL be making their players compatible if they want to play Blu-Ray discs in the future. I see.

Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• shueardm
    replied
    Yeah, it's not that SONY are pulling the feature, it's just that are enforcing the rules on the other manufacturers. They have to comply with those regulations and if they dont then they can not support any kind of BD-R or RE playback. Just a waiting game for the companies to get new firmwares out.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Truly
    replied
    Kevin,

Thanks for the info. I don't have anything against the PS3... just that my clients are attorneys and are displaying this in the courtroom and are more likely to want a BD player if they are dealing with it directly. If they have hired a courtroom playback firm, then that company can worry about what the Blu-Ray disk is played back on.

Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• kwshaw1
    replied
    By the way, I recommend the Sony Playstation 3 as a useful device for playing HDV files rendered from Edius, and you can connect it to any TV or projector with either an HDMI or component HD inputs. The PS3 works great for displaying HD or SD video content and digital photos, plus it can play music files and surf the internet and connect to your home network and so on...and it happens to be a pretty decent game machine too! It's basically the all-purpose multimedia/computer device some of us have been wanting for years, but it hasn't gotten much publicity for that.

Leave a comment:

• kwshaw1
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Truly View Post
    Barry mentions that SONY, the creator of Blu-Ray, wants to make their discs unplayable? I'm confused here. I understand concerns about piracy, but why would they want to kill their own product?
    There's been an ongoing discussion of this topic on the Roxio Blu-ray forums, and the following is the latest update I could find:

"Blu-ray players first manufactured after Spring of this year are required to support BD-RE v3.0 media (AACS enabled) for playback of recordings where copyright has been asserted (e.g. digital broadcast, managed copy from a Blu-ray movie and similar). These same players may playback authored content from other sources (e.g. home movies) where copyright is not asserted from either BD-RE V3.0 or v2.1 (currently available) media. An exception was made for players produced before Spring this year such that they may playback authored BD movie content from BD-RE V2.1 media, even though they may not support V3.0 media. The PS3 is already fully compliant with the latest requirements. Other players may or may not be depending on current firmware revisions.

"The simple summary is that a consumer can author their own content as they wish using currently available media and play it back on any player that was released prior to Spring 07' as well as any player released since that time, provided that the player can support BD-RE V3.0 media. If a newer player cannot yet support that media type, then BD-RE 2.1 support can be enabled as soon as firmware allows the player to do so."

For more info try this link (registration required): http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=168410

Leave a comment:

Working...
X