A V6 question I don't recall being asked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A V6 question I don't recall being asked

I have noticed something different in E6 that I don't think anyone has mentioned before. If I double-click on a bin clip and open it in the preview window, then set an in/out point before putting it on the timeline then the clip in the bin window now has the in/out set based on the preview edit I just did. I don't recall this happening before E6.

I can understand how this will be helpful and a great enhancement for almost all workflows so I am not complaining that it is a bug or a change that is counter-productive. For the most part I like it.

However, at the end of my wedding edits I like to create an outtakes section. To do so I take each folder in my bin ( I sort my clips in folders) and will drop all the clips on the timeline and scrub through them on the timeline to remove stuff that doesn't need to be in the outtakes. Problem is many of these clips that had in/out markers set only move that selected portion to the timeline. Often the parts I cut out may be funny but not fit the main edit but be great outtakes so I like it all to be there. This means I have to find each clip that is "edited" and expand it back out on the timeline.

Is there a way to highlight all the clips in a bin and remove all the previously set in/out points. Have I missed a setting somewhere?
    Main System. MSI G33m Motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, 2GB Ram, GeForce 9500GT, 7200rpm System drive. WinXP. Lots of external eSATA drives.

Laptop. Sony Vaio. CPU- i7-Gen 3, 8gb RAM, 1tbb 5400rpm hard drive, AMD GPU

I think that is a new specification
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
      I think that is a new specification
      That was my thinking. I see a big benefit to it working the way it does now but occasionally it would be nice to reset all the in/out points.
      Main System. MSI G33m Motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, 2GB Ram, GeForce 9500GT, 7200rpm System drive. WinXP. Lots of external eSATA drives.

Comment

you could double click the bin and reload the clips?
        Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Philip,

If you always edit like that you can do the following which is inline with the expanded features.

you have a master clip.
          You bring it to the player window.
          put you in and put and do the following:

use add subclip to bin (new feature ...there is a button for the player)

after you have done that press x.
          This will clear your master but your sub will retain the in and out points.

The sub will have is own count and is "tracked separate".

This will make what you want to do easier because you always have the whole master clip without any in out reference but you will have a nice folder with all your "trimmed clips" without any duplication on disk.
          Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
          EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
            Philip,

If you always edit like that you can do the following which is inline with the expanded features.

you have a master clip.
            You bring it to the player window.
            put you in and put and do the following:

use add subclip to bin (new feature ...there is a button for the player)

after you have done that press x.
            This will clear your master but your sub will retain the in and out points.

The sub will have is own count and is "tracked separate".

This will make what you want to do easier because you always have the whole master clip without any in out reference but you will have a nice folder with all your "trimmed clips" without any duplication on disk.
            I will have to play with that a little. Problem is I don't edit all my footage this way. Some is done in the preview window and some is done directly on the timeline. That could make for a big mess if I don't do all the trimming and move to a new folder. I will check that out as an alternative.

Comment

Those edited on the timeline don't update the master clip. You would only have to sub those coming form the player window.
              Steve

Comment

I prefer to work with one big clip. I then cut it up into sections with the preview player window in and out points. The sub clip feature is a very easy way to accomplish this. Before, you would update over a previously marked clip. Now you won't.
                Jerry
                Six Gill DV
                www.sgdvtutorials.com
                If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Precisely. It makes it easier in most workflows.

I like this feature very much.
                  Steve

Comment

I have to agree.... this was a much needed enhancement to our workflows. It especially makes sense when for example when I have shot an event such as a wedding and my partner will be doing the edit, because I know the footage and the shots I want him to use I can quickly sort and organize/trim/rename the media into relevent subclips/bins. He is then able to quickly pick up the flow and get down to the edit without having to trudge through the rubbish... not that I shoot any that is :-P.

Also very usefull for long form projects with truck loads of material that might take up to a couple of years to complete.

I like it.. Best
                    Dave.
                    Main Editor - Edius 8.53 AdobeCC Mini Monitor 4K Intel X99P SLI Intel Core i7 6800K CPU Gigabyte GTX980 SanDisk Ultra Video SSD 1XINTEL System SSD 16GB Kingston DDR4 2400 RAM VisTitle 2.8 Onboard Sound 10GBE LAN WIN10Pro 64bit

Encoding - Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT Intel 4790K CPU Gigabyte GTX550Ti Gigabyte GTX980 Western Digital HDD's LG Blu-ray drive, 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM BMD Mini Monitor 4K Edius 8.53 Creative Cloud Win 10 64bit Pro
                    www.nakedeyedv.com

Comment

anyone find the subclips dull looking? like almost the same color as the timeline
                      Attached Files
                      Anton Strauss

Comment

Another suggestion for workflow - before editing put all the clips on a timeline. They will not have any in and outs set.

Then start a new timeline and edit away.

When you want to go back to the clips with no in and out either:

1) Load the first timeline and trim it, or

2) Make an empty bin, Load the first timeline, select all the clips and right click and choose "add to bin" - this will put the clips from the timeline back in the bin with no ins and outs.
                        EDIUS silver certified trainer.
                        Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
                        Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
                        Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Great tip in General.
                          But yes there is a BUT. If you use a split V/A workflow going back to timeline from bin is a is going to give you un-grouped split clips and if you use for example 8 channel audio it will soon turn in to a big mess.
                          Steve

Comment

I forgot to mention that - put the clips on VA tracks and obviously keep the sound as stereo instead of two mono tracks as well (assuming you only have two audio tracks) otherwise you will end up in ths same situation as with 8 tracks.
                            EDIUS silver certified trainer.
                            Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
                            Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
                            Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
                              Great tip in General.
                              But yes there is a BUT. If you use a split V/A workflow going back to timeline from bin is a is going to give you un-grouped split clips and if you use for example 8 channel audio it will soon turn in to a big mess.
                              This is when the forums are so great. When you pose a question you often get multiple alternatives for how to achieve your solution.

This new functionality is a great addition. I just had the one workflow issue that it affected. I tried the sub clips option and while it would work I think I discovered an even easier way for me. I wondered if you could just duplicate a bin. Did a little right clicking on a bin/folder and tried the Export option. That did the trick. It exports "bin details" Now at the beginning of a project when I have all my media in my folder structure I can just "export" my main Video bin details with all the subfolders. Then just import that small file at the end when I want to do outtakes and drop my clips from there.

Editing is like computer programming. There are always multiple ways to accomplish a task and someone always seems to know how to do it better.

Comment

Working...
                              X