Field dominance analog capture 4.51c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    At me the same problem with DV and D1. Edius SP - 4.51c. In the previous versions of such problems was not

Leave a comment:

• Aristotelis
    replied
    Hi everyone,

I can confirm the problem on my SP system as well...

:-(

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    it gets worse!!!!

place a Pal DV clip in an NTSC DV timeline, it will look out of focus and the field order will be wrong, changing the field order has no effect

to overcome:

export the Pal DV clip from Edius timeline using ProCoder3 and select NTSC DV avi

then load the resulting clip in an NTSC DV project, it will be razor sharp and it has no field order flicker at all

Leave a comment:

• robsegaar
    replied
    Yes it's also with a NX card plus Broadcast software because we have a SP and a NX.
    Fore the test i had to update the software first so that take's some time and now we know.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    I have a feeling it will be the same in NX systems

we just need to find an NX volunteer to test

I am sure GV are aware after reading this thread, which I am sure they did

Leave a comment:

• robsegaar
    replied
    Hi Anton,

Do you think GV know about this problem?
    And maybe it's only sp system related?

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    since this will cause concern to all broadcast users, I am sure that this will receive immediate attention to avoid something smelly to hit the fan

Leave a comment:

• robsegaar
    replied
    Hi Anton,

I think the program is great but there are a lot of little bugs that make it for some users unusable at this stage.
    Basically you can not output to a file (dvd or AVI) if you have a mix of clips ( HQ, D1, DV) on the timeline because the quality will be unacceptable.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    okay, thanks for finding this problem, this is a big problem, the difference is as big as night and day

basically, DV footage in a D1 project looks out of focus

and

D1 footage in a DV project looks out of focus

KH or BH or MD, please report to GV engineers to request urgent fix

the problem is not a field order problem

the problem may only be a problem with SP systems? it is what Rob and I use, perhaps someone with NX can run the same test?
    Last edited by antonsvideo; 08-17-2007, 03:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    ok, now that I know your workflow, let me test

Leave a comment:

• robsegaar
    replied
    Hi Anton,

First i start a dv project...
    Then capture my dv clips over the fire wire
    When i need to capture analog video I normally capture in d1 HQ for best results...
    During the capture analog video and you look too you’re monitor the picture is sharp at it shoot be....
    When show the HQ file in the timeline it's smood but much more softer then it shoot be...
    Then if you change the project settings to D1 the HQ clips on the timeline looks great but the DV clips then look much more softer....
    I never had this problem with 4.26.
    The test was done with two SP systems one with 4.51c and one 4.26.
    Source was same betacam and same dvcam and same sony broadcast monitor
    We are making 6 projections and there all more then 2.5 to 3.5 meter so the picture has to be scharp.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    ok, test complete

started D1 4:3 project (top field first)

capture clip of jumbo landing via S-video to DV

resulting clip on timeline has lower field order and plays smooth

changing clip field order to top field makes the jumbo shake like a strobe effect

note: I am using Edius SP and it works ok in my case, as intended

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    personally when capturing analogue through S-Video, I always capture to HQ D1

the result is 100% better than capturing to DV, it looks sharper and cleaner

I will try a test capture to DV and report back my findings

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_BH
    replied
    Changing the field dominance incorrectly should do more than make the clip blurry - when field dominance is set incorrectly, playback to an interlaced display should show bad ghosting in horizontal motion.

Changing the field order setting on a clip does not change the field order, it just tells EDIUS to interpret the fields differently.

The problem is that nowadays most people don't have interlaced monitors for HD preview, they're using LCDs and plasmas which have to deinterlace the signal for display, which can effectively mask a field dominance problem.

As for not getting a response - people have other things going on in their lives too - they don't all live on the forum all day.

Leave a comment:

• robsegaar
    replied
    Great to get no response at all!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X