Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field dominance analog capture 4.51c

Hi,

When I capture in the setting 4X3 pal D1 an I capture analog in DV format via S video in then I have to change te field dominance manually to upper field first to get a good picture in the timeline.
    The same happens if you capture in DV mode and capture in HQ codec.
    Normally that was no problem at all in edius 4.24 any ideas.
    So mixing all formats (HQ,DV,....) on the timeline is not a option for now?
    Last edited by robsegaar; 08-15-2007, 10:21 PM.
    Rob

www.volkenkunde.nl

Edius Broadcast 4.54| 3X SP hardware 1 NX | Dual Xeon 3.2 Supermicro | Carbon coder

Does it look correct in a DV timeline?

Comment

Hi,

Yes DV looks good in a preset with lower field first (DV,DVCAM,DVCPRO) and HQ looks only good in projects with upperfield first.
      The picture looks a little bit blurry on the clip when te field dominance not match the project.
      Even change the clip field setting to match the project is not the solution.
      It is with analog and firewire end older clips.
      Rob

www.volkenkunde.nl

Edius Broadcast 4.54| 3X SP hardware 1 NX | Dual Xeon 3.2 Supermicro | Carbon coder

Comment

No one have this problem?
        Rob

www.volkenkunde.nl

Comment

Great to get no response at all!
          Rob

www.volkenkunde.nl

Comment

Changing the field dominance incorrectly should do more than make the clip blurry - when field dominance is set incorrectly, playback to an interlaced display should show bad ghosting in horizontal motion.

Changing the field order setting on a clip does not change the field order, it just tells EDIUS to interpret the fields differently.

The problem is that nowadays most people don't have interlaced monitors for HD preview, they're using LCDs and plasmas which have to deinterlace the signal for display, which can effectively mask a field dominance problem.

As for not getting a response - people have other things going on in their lives too - they don't all live on the forum all day.

Comment

personally when capturing analogue through S-Video, I always capture to HQ D1

the result is 100% better than capturing to DV, it looks sharper and cleaner

I will try a test capture to DV and report back my findings
              Anton Strauss
              Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

ok, test complete

started D1 4:3 project (top field first)

capture clip of jumbo landing via S-video to DV

resulting clip on timeline has lower field order and plays smooth

changing clip field order to top field makes the jumbo shake like a strobe effect

note: I am using Edius SP and it works ok in my case, as intended
                Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Hi Anton,

First i start a dv project...
                  Then capture my dv clips over the fire wire
                  When i need to capture analog video I normally capture in d1 HQ for best results...
                  During the capture analog video and you look too you’re monitor the picture is sharp at it shoot be....
                  When show the HQ file in the timeline it's smood but much more softer then it shoot be...
                  Then if you change the project settings to D1 the HQ clips on the timeline looks great but the DV clips then look much more softer....
                  I never had this problem with 4.26.
                  The test was done with two SP systems one with 4.51c and one 4.26.
                  Source was same betacam and same dvcam and same sony broadcast monitor
                  We are making 6 projections and there all more then 2.5 to 3.5 meter so the picture has to be scharp.
                  Rob

www.volkenkunde.nl

Comment

ok, now that I know your workflow, let me test
                    Anton Strauss

Comment

okay, thanks for finding this problem, this is a big problem, the difference is as big as night and day

basically, DV footage in a D1 project looks out of focus

and

D1 footage in a DV project looks out of focus

KH or BH or MD, please report to GV engineers to request urgent fix

the problem is not a field order problem

the problem may only be a problem with SP systems? it is what Rob and I use, perhaps someone with NX can run the same test?
                      Last edited by antonsvideo; 08-17-2007, 03:59 PM.
                      Anton Strauss

Comment

Hi Anton,

I think the program is great but there are a lot of little bugs that make it for some users unusable at this stage.
                        Basically you can not output to a file (dvd or AVI) if you have a mix of clips ( HQ, D1, DV) on the timeline because the quality will be unacceptable.
                        Rob

www.volkenkunde.nl

Comment

since this will cause concern to all broadcast users, I am sure that this will receive immediate attention to avoid something smelly to hit the fan
                          Anton Strauss

Comment

Hi Anton,

Do you think GV know about this problem?
                            And maybe it's only sp system related?
                            Rob

www.volkenkunde.nl

Comment

I have a feeling it will be the same in NX systems

we just need to find an NX volunteer to test

I am sure GV are aware after reading this thread, which I am sure they did
                              Anton Strauss

Comment

Working...
                              X