Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedleyw
    • May 2007

DVD encoding quality?

Is there any difference in quality from mpeg encoding via Procoder Express and the DVD creator option? I have a Storm hardware encoder and assume that PCE is the only option if I want to use it?

That said, I did a test DVD from a HD project and the encoding was a similar speed to that which I would expect from the Storm. Quality seemed quite poor but that is subjective as I have yet to do a comparison as the same bitrates.
    Hedley Wright
    Partner - Brett Vale Studios

System: Mac Pro 2 x Quad-Core intel Xeon 6GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB, 2 BenQ FP937s 19" Wide Monitors, 200 Gb Bootcamp Window XP Pro partition, 550Gb OsX Leopard partition, RAID 0 Video drive 2 x 750Gb WD Caviar | Edius 5.11, NX Express
  • xmanflash
    • May 2007

Originally posted by hedleyw
    Is there any difference in quality from mpeg encoding via Procoder Express and the DVD creator option? I have a Storm hardware encoder and assume that PCE is the only option if I want to use it?

That said, I did a test DVD from a HD project and the encoding was a similar speed to that which I would expect from the Storm. Quality seemed quite poor but that is subjective as I have yet to do a comparison as the same bitrates.
    I have found DVD Creator Quality to be excellent so far - of course depending on bitrate! the main thing for me is that while the quality seems as good, the speed is increased as DVD Creator uses all 4 cores on my quad core Q6600 chip - a welcome suprise..
    www.wishlistcentral.com - suggest new features
    www.buglistcentral.com - report bugs
    www.wishlistcentral.com/edius/ - Free edius user add-ons

Comment

• hedleyw
      • May 2007

Thanks for that. I'm wondering whether DVD creator uses the same encoder as PCE?
      Hedley Wright

System: Mac Pro 2 x Quad-Core intel Xeon 6GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB, 2 BenQ FP937s 19" Wide Monitors, 200 Gb Bootcamp Window XP Pro partition, 550Gb OsX Leopard partition, RAID 0 Video drive 2 x 750Gb WD Caviar | Edius 5.11, NX Express

Comment

• kwshaw1
        • May 2007

I did a test DVD from a HD project and the encoding was a similar speed to that which I would expect from the Storm. Quality seemed quite poor but that is subjective as I have yet to do a comparison as the same bitrates.
        There's been an ongoing issue about the quality of SD MPEG2 files encoded directly from an HD timeline using Procoder Express. For better results, render to HQ or HDV first and then put that output into a widescreen DV project, from which you should get better SD results. Basically, Procoder doesn't do a good job of converting HD to SD directly, but if you put an HD clip into an SD project then Edius will downsample it correctly before Procoder does the MPEG2 encoding.
        Edius 6.5 on Lenovo W520 laptop: Intel Core i7-2720QM @2.2 GHz, Nvidia graphics card, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Canon Vixia HF-G10, three Sony HDV video cameras and one Canon 7D.

Comment

• hedleyw
          • May 2007

Thanks Kevin - I'll give that a try now. I always render out to m2t but usually as a final operation after I've used the DVD to check for any edit errors. It looks as if I might need to change my workflow to get better DVD quality at lower bitrates. I've been happy enough at 6,500 and above but the lower rates required for DVDs over about 75 minutes have always looked a bit soft.
          Hedley Wright

Comment

• GrassValley_KH
            Mr Sparkle
            • Apr 2007

Thanks for that. I'm wondering whether DVD creator uses the same encoder as PCE?
            No, it doesn't. If anything, the encoder is likely based off technology first used in a now-defunct exporter we had for Storm/Rex/Raptor/EZ Edit, called "SoftMPEG"

Different dev team.

Comment

• SRsupport
              Grass Cutter Gold
              • May 2007

The quality is great.
              Maybe that team can do all the encoding stuff? :)
              Steve
              EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
              A proud EDIUS EDITOR
              For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

• hedleyw
                • May 2007

Thanks Kevin - I'll give that a try now. I always render out to m2t but usually as a final operation after I've used the DVD to check for any edit errors. It looks as if I might need to change my workflow to get better DVD quality at lower bitrates. I've been happy enough at 6,500 and above but the lower rates required for DVDs over about 75 minutes have always looked a bit soft.
                Well, I can't see any improvement. Thanks for the suggestion though.
                Hedley Wright

Comment

Working...