Outputing an SD File For YouTube Upload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outputing an SD File For YouTube Upload

I generally shoot with a DVX100 (a classic and a favorite) either 16x9 or 4x3 and edit in SD now in EDIUS 6. I would like to export for YouTube upload. First attempt using DV AVI yielded a 1G file. Too big.

WMA is considerably smaller and seems like the best choice for that platform.

As far as QT is concerned, iPod, Apple TV make some sense, but iPhone vs. iPhone Cellular? Is there something I am missing here? What's the difference?

What would you suggest as the best setting given the above?

Thanks as allows for the prompt responses!

Originally posted by Jolt917 View Post
    I generally shoot with a DVX100 (a classic and a favorite) either 16x9 or 4x3 and edit in SD now in EDIUS 6. I would like to export for YouTube upload. First attempt using DV AVI yielded a 1G file. Too big.

WMA is considerably smaller and seems like the best choice for that platform.

As far as QT is concerned, iPod, Apple TV make some sense, but iPhone vs. iPhone Cellular? Is there something I am missing here? What's the difference?

What would you suggest as the best setting given the above?

Thanks as allows for the prompt responses!
    H.264 (mp4) is your best bet. You'll have to export an HQ or DV file then transcode to h.264

Comment

when you say too big, did youtube kick it out or just took too long to upload?
      lately I've been using either WMVHD or mpeg and both work well
      John Sirb
      Lake Breeze Video Lorain,OH
      --------------------
      SYS 1: Edius 9, Vistitle 2.5, Boris Red,Neat Video, Gigabyte Z170x G5, I7 6700K 4.0Mz Skylake, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB x2, NVIDIA QUARTO 2000

JVC HM-100,JVC HM-700, JVC HM-600, Canon 80D

Comment

I was guessing the OP meant a huge upload. I have 18 Mbps service but only .5Mbps upload. Damn annoying.

Just for info purposes, the DV codec is really inefficient (though it is an intra codec). For example, AVCHD (h.264) in PH mode has about the same file size with HD video per minute as SD in the DV codec.

Youtube converts everything to MP4 (h.264) anyway, so you can definitely encode an H.264 SD video with a much smaller file size.

What are you using for encoding or transcoding? If you have Adobe media encoder CS5 there is a preset for youtube SD and SD wide. If you use this make sure you change the frame rate in the preset from 30 to 29.94!

Since you NTSC DV file will be in 29.94 anyway (NTSC standard) if you leave it at 30 if will take eons to convert while at 29.94 it is transcoding your footage but not the frame rate and thus takes a heck of lot less time. Don't know why adobe chose 30 instead of 29.94 in the preset.

Comment

Working...
        X