DVD import problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD import problem

Hi I am trying to import a dvd to re-edit. the dvd was created from a vhs using a dvd/vhs recoder combo. The DVD plays fine but when I import it will play ok for 32 seconds then the audio dissappears and the picture becomes unstable with green screen flashes? I have managed to import using Sony Vagas but it captures in 4 clips and misses some audio at the joins. Any thoughts???

With what are you trying to import, Which version if using Edius. I have just tried a DVD on E6.02 no problems imports as 1 file
    System Asus WS Z390 Pro MB, CPU i9 9900K, 32gb 3000mhz Ram, EVGA GTX1070TI, BM IP4K Win 10, BD Burner 1 Evo 840 and 4 Hotswap caddies
    Plugins Vistitle 2.8, TP7, NB TFX5
    Monitors Samsung 32 inch tv as main 1 LG M2350D,1 D2343 1 DM2350D as output to (3D) IP4K, PXW X70,Canon FX400

Comment

It's quite common for software rippers (including Edius) to fail with DVDs that otherwise will play fine on DVD players.
      Did you try DVD Shrink (it's a free download).
      I have found a useful trick using Shrink is to start the rip a few frames in from the start of the Program. Or in your case you might have to start say 33 seconds into the program, in this way bypassing the corrupted or non-compliant portion of the DVD.

If this fails then you will have to play back the DVD in real time acquiring it to HDD via ADVC type device. If you say it plays fine at least this is guaranteed to work.

Comment

once we know which version he has, we can instruct on appropriate settings such as use PTS or don't use PTS and other settings like combine to single file etc
        Anton Strauss
        Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Some VHS/DVD-recording combos recording in DVD-VR mode. Hopefully it's not! ;)
          If this is not the case try do demux all assets & use these as elementary streams in your timeline. This will work reliable.

I would suggest you to use PGCdemux (IFO based) or projectX (which also fixes some stream errors if present, but it's VOB based)

PGCdemux 1.2.0.5
          http://download.videohelp.com/jsoto/dvdtools.htm
          load the associated IFO file from the desired VTS

projectX (precompiled)
          http://www.oozoon.de/progs/projectx/...2-20091031.zip
          installed Java 1.6 is needed
          drag all VOB's from one VTS in on collection
          Andreas Gumm
          post production / authoring
          PC 1Intel Core i7-970 (6 x 3.20 GHz),
          ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 12 GB RAM, Geforce 9800GT
          Windows 7 Ultimate,
          GV software: EDIUS 7.42, VisTitle v2.5,
          GV hardware: 3G Storm
          software SONY DoStudio Indie + EX 4.0.11
          PC 2
          Intel Core i7-3770, GIGABYTE Z77X-UD5H F14, 16GB RAM,
          Geforce 650 GTX, 5x HDD, Windows 7,
          GV software: EDIUS 7.42, ProCoder 3.0
          GV hardware: HD SPARK
          software: Telestream Switch, DTS-HD MAS, Dolby Media Meter

Comment

I now always use Tmpg Mastering Works 5 for capturing DVD content, it is perfect every time, you can select to capture any or all chapters
            Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
              I now always use Tmpg Mastering Works 5 for capturing DVD content, it is perfect every time, you can select to capture any or all chapters
              Does this work with DVD-VR too?
              I'm asking because I'm looking for a reliable solution for this recording standard!
              Andreas Gumm
              Windows 7 Ultimate,
              PC 2

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas_Gumm View Post
                Does this work with DVD-VR too?
                I'm asking because I'm looking for a reliable solution for this recording standard!
                T5 fully supports DVD-VR
                http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/im.../format_en.jpg
                Anton Strauss

Comment

i have found a work around. managed to import into Magix ProX3 and save as an avi this will import into ediu6. not sure why edius would not do it?

Comment

Another option would be to just copy the .VOB files from the VIDEO_TS folder of the DVD to your hard drive and rename them to .MPG.

This will only work for non-encrypted, non-commercial disks.

Comment

Originally posted by THoff View Post
                      Another option would be to just copy the .VOB files from the VIDEO_TS folder of the DVD to your hard drive and rename them to .MPG.

This will only work for non-encrypted, non-commercial disks.
                      Maybe that works in some environments, but VOB container & MPEG programm container are a little bit different.
                      No wonder if audio will go out of sync. In every case you will get some audio problems at the joins with this workflow!

Good luck
                      Andreas Gumm
                      Windows 7 Ultimate,
                      PC 2

Comment

I have never had audio problems when doing that, and quite frankly don't understand why you feel that I should.

Comment

Originally posted by THoff View Post
                          I have never had audio problems when doing that, and quite frankly don't understand why you feel that I should.
                          That's pure luck if you had no problems with the audio gap at the join.
                          In most cases there are also green frames in the video track if GOP's has not closed!
                          Take a look in the attached zip file! The screenshot shows you the part I exported & the wave form has a gap!
                          That's the reason why it's better to demux it! It would process the whole VOB collection & joins the parts together!

Normally if you have more the one VOB's in a VideoTitleSet the different VOB files refers to the next & the one before. If you place these VOB's in the timeline it will not work seamless because the NLE will not join theese files correctly!
                          Attached Files
                          Andreas Gumm
                          Windows 7 Ultimate,
                          PC 2

Comment

I would not call it pure luck. I would say that this techniques works much more often than not. It may not be the most elegant solution but it often is a solution.

Comment

Andreas, how would demuxing make up for the audio that's missing in the section pointed to by the red arrow?

Comment

Working...
                              X