Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Channel Mapping/AAF-Export/Inserting Tracks..!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Channel Mapping/AAF-Export/Inserting Tracks..!

Okey,

i got some different questions, but all more or less related to sound and the handling of Channels in Edius(talking about 4.51c too...).

First of all, i get a little confused with the Channle mapping in Edius:
    I use a lot of 4Channel recordings from my HVX (2 internal channels, 2 external..) and sometimes i cant really "hear"some channels,also if they show a waveform, so there is definitly sound..so this is how the channels are set: (attatchment:1st picture)

Sound channels 1 and 2 work, but not the rest of them.

I guess i found the solution by myself here, as i changed the Mapping to that: (attatchment 2nd picture)
    ....so i can hear and handle each and every mono-channel....fine so far, but if i do export to AAF i receive 1 Videofile(although there are 2 clips..?!) and 16(!) AIFF-Audio-clips..half of them is "empty"..why does that happen??(attatchment:3rd picture).

Id like to understand that, although i cant really check this in AE right now as i am still with 6.5-unfortunatly..!

2nd serious problem i got is that: (att. "02")

whatever i try, when i am dragging a clip(mostly audio), down to the timeline, i cant put it anywhere else but on the first Audio track...i know that i am doing something wrong here, but i didnt find the soution to "activate" another track(lets say i want to drag this on track A8..!)..it would be great if someone could help me here, as this is very annoying, specially when you allready have a lot of clips on the timeline and you have to add some audio...the way i do it, i have to go to the end of the whole project, put the audio there, and then i can drag it down to a lower Track...!

Hope this isnt too much to read and someone is open to help-would be great!

Despite those "old"-problems i always had in Edius, i do love the new 4.51c update, install was easy and veeeery quick, no convertion problems with older projects so far...knock knock on woooood!
    Attached Files
    Edius 6.52
    Windows 7-64bit
    8GB RAM
    Intel Core I5, [email protected],40GHz

I'll look at it for you tomorrow and send the info via email or pm.
    We have 2 edit locks today and I am overseeing both of them.

Steve
    Steve
    EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
    A proud EDIUS EDITOR
    For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

I'm no expert in channel mapping, but using your 4th image as a reference...Right click on audio track five right where the "A" is (it's the first track with no mapping highlighted in your image) and select stereo audio 1,2.

Does that allow you to drag a stereo file to that track?
      Q6600 Quad-Core2 [email protected], Asus P5K-E Wifi MB, 2GB DDR2-800 RAM, BFG 7900GTX OC 512MB, Edius NX PCI-E, Edius 4.52, Adobe Production Premium CS3, Windows XP Pro SP2

Comment

Some things to consider:

1. Channel mapping is mainly for preview, or realtime output for monitoring - since only an HDBX1000 box provides more than two channels of audio output from the timeline during playback (editing), you need to map any additional channels of audio in your project to 1 and 2 to hear them. Don't be concerned that you're going to mess up the audio (if you're rendering out to a file, say for P2?). It only affects what you're hearing during it's life in EDIUS.

You appear to have discovered this now, but I state the above for everyone to understand. (though I can't explain the AAF query)

2. Channel "locking" (that's what I call it), will force a clip with channel data to obey what you've specified no matter what. That means that if a clip has "ch1" audio present, it will always want to add that to the track that is currently locking all "ch1" data, even if it means splitting or overwriting other data on the same track. What you can do, is play with the clip's properties for audio, to reassign which channels for that clip will go where. This is found in the Audio tab.

Remember - EDIUS isn't designed to split away audio channels like every single other NLE, despite people trying awfully hard to emulate that workflow. Call it Japanese quirk, call it diversity, this is how the application works - Audio and Video living together as one. (unless you really really really don't want it to)

Comment

I have to add something here.
          You can use the map to dictate what goes to which channel on output when creating a file.
          You have total control over that when using a dvcpro HD project.

This must not be confused with the "must" if you use and nx and sp or ochi to send those track to 1 and 2 for monitoring.

2 separate things.

Steve
          Steve
          A proud EDIUS EDITOR
          For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

Originally posted by JPowell View Post
            I'm no expert in channel mapping, but using your 4th image as a reference...Right click on audio track five right where the "A" is (it's the first track with no mapping highlighted in your image) and select stereo audio 1,2.

Does that allow you to drag a stereo file to that track?
            Sorry for putting a picture that might be confusing...its not due to the fact that this is a stereo clip that i am trying to drag, if you change the settings on the Tracks to stereo, it will still try to put it in the first track...thanks anyway for your suggestion..!
            Edius 6.52
            Windows 7-64bit
            8GB RAM

Comment

To SR and KH,

i appreciate your help, curious what you say about the problem from the last picture SR..!

As i am using SP i understood that the multi-channels work only for preview(i cant even set more then 2 channels when i am not working OHCI..is that new?
              Seemed to have 4 in DVCPRO50/HD before...strange though!..i ll check that better later on..!), but thats fine to me as all of the tracks i use need to go to the profesional soundmix in the end, via AAF-export hopefully!

But i definitly have been concerned in the past in mixing things up with the whole channel-mapping for Export, as i discovered some PCE-exports that did not have the Channels i needed, when the setting wasnt fine in Edius before...not sure if this changed with the update, but it should be still the same.
              Not sure if i understand you right here, but what i set in the channel mappings will be the same when i export..!(Thats also why my result of the "solution" in the second picture is not perfect yet, thanks to your explanation i see better how the mapping works: i had put all the Channels "on" , but just on the Left channel(that will affect the final export too...!), so i rather need to do it on both channels to receive a nice stereo result, will try that too to confirm..but now it looks very obvious...!

My 2nd problem:

maybe i missunderstood you here, but is there no way to drag an audio clip to a different Audiotrack, then to 1 or 2??

I also dont get your coment right "...will force a clip with channel data to obey what you've specified no matter what..."

Sorry, maybe its due to my lack of english skills, but ill try to explain how i understand it: lets say i put a P2 clip on V1, the sound(lets say stereochannel) will automaticly go to Audiotrack 1+2.....ok...i get that, and there is no way to change that...right??

But the clip i tried to drag is just a stereo-audio-clip, that is not related to any of the video clips..so i should be able to put this wherever i like...no "locking" to any Audiotrack..or am i wrong here?

I am really interested to solve this problems,so sorry if i do sound a little pushy from time to time, this not meant to be like that at all, its rather due to my language-limitations, i really do appreciate all your help...!

Looking forward to hear from you folks..good luck for your work SR..i guess you allready helped me in the old forum to get some light into the Channel-mapping..but that was loooong time ago..!
              Edius 6.52
              Windows 7-64bit
              8GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by hvx_germanboy View Post
                Sorry, maybe its due to my lack of english skills, but ill try to explain how i understand it: lets say i put a P2 clip on V1, the sound(lets say stereochannel) will automaticly go to Audiotrack 1+2.....ok...i get that, and there is no way to change that...right??
                Correct, and it applies to any clip brought in. As long as the audio tracks are "targeted" to particular channel(s) (it says A1, A1,2, etc), then those channels of any clip brought into the timeline.

Thus, you cannot drop the audio from your stereo audio clip anywhere other than the tracks "taking" channel 1 and channel 2.

I hope it makes more sense now...

Comment

I need to write a tutorial on this.
                  It is very simple once you know how.
                  I need more hours in a day.

Steve
                  Steve
                  A proud EDIUS EDITOR

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
                    Remember - EDIUS isn't designed to split away audio channels like every single other NLE, despite people trying awfully hard to emulate that workflow.
                    man ain't that the truth! thanks Keneally, that gave me a good giggle :)

Comment

Okey..

Thanks to everybody here,
                      when you once understand it, it seems to be pretty clear and easy...!

I dont know why i got so confused about it and couldnt fix it before, but when Brandon repeated in a different way what was mentioned by SR quickly before, i understood how things go!

So "Yes" SR, if you find one of your days having 30 hours, feel free to make a nice tutorial, that could help some people...!

Of course i can drag a mp3 clip to lets say Audio track 5: but i have to make sure that i select "Monochannel1" (for mono track) or a "Stereochannel"(and so a 2nd Audio Track, depending how you set the Channel mapping..!)..this way it works fine, i guess no more questions(despite the fact that i still get 16 seperated audio-clips from 8 mono-tracks when i export to AAF, but 8 of them are empty...i can live with that right now, but when i have to export a 90minute project, this will be some Gigs more to export..in vain..!).

So thanks a lot again, i guess the whole "channel-mapping"-issue is very clear to me now, i am happy the forum is back to full power!!
                      Edius 6.52
                      Windows 7-64bit
                      8GB RAM

Comment

Good to hear, err, read!

Unfortunately the whole "audio flow" in EDIUS, while very flexible, can also be very confusing.

The Channel Map button that brings up the Audio channel map dialog - this controls where audio from audio tracks go on output to real-time output hardware and to exported files.

Meanwhile, the "target" or "locking" settings for individual audio tracks determine where audio channels from incoming clips land on the timeline. When an audio track is "targeted" or "locked" to accept specific audio tracks, EDIUS will the selected audio channels to be placed on those audio tracks with the channels set.

Note that changing the "target" or "locked" channels for an audio track this does not affect clips that are already on the timeline. The setting acts as an input "filter" at the time clips are placed on the timeline.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hvx_germanboy View Post
                          So "Yes" SR, if you find one of your days having 30 hours, feel free to make a nice tutorial, that could help some people...!
                          Hello hvx_germanboy,

A few months ago, I tried a tuto , but in French : Routing Audio

Marc
                          System : W7 Ultimate - MB: Asus Z170 - I7 6700K - Ram 16 Go - SSD1 256 Go (OS/log) - SSD2 1To (rushes) - HDD 4To (save) - Nvidia Asus GTX970 - HDspark - Edius WG 9 - Vistitle 2.6 - Robuskey - Mercalli4 - Neat video - Ignite - Hitfilm4Pro - AV : Eset Nod32 - Others : Moniteur Sony 32-EX500 - Cam : Sony EX1-R - 2 x Sony PXW-X70 - 1 x Pana GH5
                          Edius in France

Comment

So thanks again folks...and MARC, i would have loved to see that before i played around...although my french is not really existing, i have a friend from france here right now, so she would have explained perfectly...!

However, i hope that GV will develope a lot more in the audio-field, like synching clock-it information for external recorded audio to a video-file....i allready mentioned this a couple of time, also in the right place, so i am curious to see what will come in Version 5 "soon"..!
                            Edius 6.52
                            Windows 7-64bit
                            8GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                            X