AVID and HQX codec?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVID and HQX codec?

If you have Avid MC and Edius on the same machine, should avid be able to read the HQX codec?

I can't ever seem to get avid to read any Edius codecs. I get audio but just white for video.

Currently I am printing to HQX then transcoding to DNxHD. Would be great if avid would just read the HQX encoded files.

Edius can export to avid codecs of needed.
    Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
    EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_hd View Post
      AVID is not Edius or Vegas or Premiere- it only likes QT files and even not all of them :)

Don't use Edius QT exporter to DNxHD- your colors will be messed up. Importing is fine now as long as file was exported as 709 (not RGB) from AVID.
      Use MXF AVC-I or if needed for quality QT Component (uncompressed).

Andrew
      How do I export AVC-I mxf from edius? The Edius AVC-I exporter seems to have options I am not familiar with.

Comment

It's MXF exporter and than you choose AVC-I as codec.

Andrew
        I know. What confuses me are some of the AVC-I settings at the bottom of the mxf avc-i exporter menu.

Comment

Set channels and quantization as desired.
          Change AES to BWF- more likely to work.
          Rest can stay at default.

Andrew
          Thank you!

Comment

OK, AVC-I MXF worked for import into avid. When I go to exprrt back to Edius, I don't see a AVC-I option (strange) but I do see an HQX avi option (strange again since avid won't play them).

I tried the HQX avi option but the black levels looked cranked up, as if setup was added.

I exported as a 709 HQX avi.

Comment

Yeah, I had to export as RGB to get it to import right.

Can't find Avid's MXF export option. Bit rusty with AVID, been a few years since I used MC regularly. I'll be using it mostly for CC work.

I do find it odd that it will export HQX but will not read HQX properly (shows white screen on imported video).

So for anyone else, unless there are other options I can not find:

You can export MXF AVC-I from Edius, into Avid and export HQX back to Edius. (Probably an MXF AVC-I export option in Avid some where but I can't find it.) Beware the 609/7-9 export option. Export as RGB if importing to Edius.
              Last edited by Denwa; 03-24-2011, 08:56 PM.

Comment

How fast is export to HQX? Is it 100% accurate in terms of color/gamma, etc?

Andrew
                About as fast as an HQX export from Edius. This was a 30 second commercial timeline, so I wasn't paying to much attention to speed. Also Avid had to render the CC fx.

Color/gamma looks all right. I am going to take a closer look but I think it's OK. I exported HQX superfine.

Comment

I will try to remember to do that when I have some time.

Comment

Working...
                  X