X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SaullyG
    • May 2007

Edius 5.51 Eventually becomes Sluggish

Hi,
    I recently upgraded my edit system & installed Edius 5.51.
    Not editing in HI-Def, only working with standard DV.
    All seems smooth for the first 15-20 mins of making cuts
    and adding crossfades.... then suddenly playback starts
    to studder, dropping frames, and render area turns
    red in the area of the timeline I am working in. The audio
    mixer is closed & my clips do not have any filters applied.

I am stumped being this is a fresh Windows XP Install,
    no anti virus installed, nothing running in the background,
    no hardware conflicts, etc. I never had this issue with
    Edius 4 and my older mobo set up which only had 1 gig
    of ram buy the way.

I just upgraded the video card driver a short while ago & didn't
    improve anything. The only culprit I suspect at this point
    is my video drive (WD - 7200 rpm, 500 Gig).

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Thank you!

Saully G
    • May 2007

How full is that 500gb drive? Once the drives get around that 50% mark, it is all downhill from there. Just like when you get old like me:)
    I noticed you have 4gb of ram. What are your buffer settings in Edius. What were your buffer settings in Edius 4.6?
    What are your project settings? Do they match the video properties? Gotta ask.
    Jerry
    Six Gill DV

Vistitle YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Main System:: Azrock z690 Taichi, [email protected], 64gb ram, Lian Li Galahad 360mm in push pull, Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL ROG case, 13 Lian Infinity fans, Win11 Pro , Corsair ATX 3.0 Gen 5 1200 watt PSU, Samsung 980 1tb boot NVME, 2-4TB Samsung 990 Pro's, 1TB Samsung SSD, 1-12TB Seagate Ironwolf, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black Edius X.

Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9.55, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

• SaullyG
      • May 2007

Hi Jerry,
      Disk has 93% of free space.
      I left the buffer settings (default) at 32, same as I had in Edius 4.6.
      With 4 gb of Ram, would I fare better with an increased buffer setting?

Thanx.
      Saully G.

Comment

• SaullyG
        • May 2007

Also Project settings are matched with the files,
        SD, 59.94i 48 khz. 720x480.

Comment

• Jerry
          • May 2007

The 4gb of ram...all is not being seen by Windows. 32bit is designed to see 2gbs.
          It can see more but you have to do .ini changes. Don't mess with this unless you know how!!!
          Did you install SP3?
          Increase your buffer to 512 and see what happens. Try it, anyway. It may make things unstable, but I don't think so.
          Jerry
          Six Gill DV

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock z690 Taichi, [email protected], 64gb ram, Lian Li Galahad 360mm in push pull, Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL ROG case, 13 Lian Infinity fans, Win11 Pro , Corsair ATX 3.0 Gen 5 1200 watt PSU, Samsung 980 1tb boot NVME, 2-4TB Samsung 990 Pro's, 1TB Samsung SSD, 1-12TB Seagate Ironwolf, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black Edius X.

Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9.55, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

• SaullyG
            • May 2007

Hi Jerry,
            With 4 Gb of Ram Installed, the system shows 3.25 GB....I assumed
            Windows XP 32 Bit could not read more than 4 Gb.

Anyhow, I will try increasing the buffer to 512 & see what
            happens from there. If I had to put my life on it I would
            still suspect a defective video drive. I remember I did
            purchase it used..... probably my "bargain" turned out
            to be a ripoff perhaps??

I'll keep you posted... thanx.

Saully G.

Comment

• tingsern
              • May 2007

It might be some bad sectors on your video drive - causing lots of retries at the disk level. Run some disk diagnostics and see ...
              TingSern
              --------------------------------------
              Edius 10 WG, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 11 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema

Comment

• Jerry
                • May 2007

Your hardware automatcally activated
                the PAE switch which allows Win XP to see
                mire than 2gb. 512 should work fine.
                Jerry
                Six Gill DV

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

• antonsvideo
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by Jerry
                  Your hardware automatcally activated
                  the PAE switch which allows Win XP to see
                  mire than 2gb. 512 should work fine.
                  using the PAE switch when NX is installed will prevent the OS from booting, been there done that :)

without NX, no problem
                  Anton Strauss
                  Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 64GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

• Jerry
                    • May 2007

It's not just the NX, Storm 3g won't either. But, there is a way around it.
                    He has a DV Storm2, I guess that is not effected. Some hardware configs automatically activate the switch. I know my second machine did.
                    In order to shut it off, you have to add a line of code. It is easier to turn on than it is to turn off :)
                    Jerry
                    Six Gill DV

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

• tingsern
                      • May 2007

Just go 64 bits OS and you dig the grave for the PAE switch :-).
                      TingSern
                      --------------------------------------
                      Edius 10 WG, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 11 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema

Comment

• SoundFreak
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2007

I can't agree more regarding upgrading from a 32bit OS to a 64bit OS, even if some or all apps are still 32bit, but I read that the OP has a DVstorm2, don't think there are any 64bit drivers made for that tank of a card, I never had issues with and it will most likely outlive me on XP 32bit :)

Comment

• SoundFreak
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2007

I might remember wrongly but didn't the official support of the DVstorm series Stop at Edius version 4.61 ?
                          That was I think the reason that I bought a NX without HD expansion to use Edius 5, the HD component expansion only was added much later in my system.
                          Or was it SD only, confused now, some one please verify :)
                          Last edited by SoundFreak; 02-22-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Jerry
                            • May 2007

Being that he is using 5.51, I am guessing is he is working OHCI with his firewire card...per the signature.
                            If you are not using other apps at the same time as you use Edius, you can stick to XP SP3 and the 4gb of ram. This will work fine.
                            Do you have a different hard drive to try. If you do, install it and see if it works better.
                            Jerry
                            Six Gill DV

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

• SaullyG
                              • May 2007

Hi Jerry,

Happy to announce I located the problem :)

Though I suspected the video drive was bad or failing,
                              turns out the problem was a bad removable mobil rack
                              the drive sits in. I should of suspected this as well being
                              I never had any luck with any mobil rack set up I had
                              in the past ........ seems most of them are cheaply made
                              & are always doomed to fail!

I confirmed this by removing the drive from the rack &
                              connected the drive directly to the motherboard.
                              I then opened the project, ran thru the timeline several times,
                              made my basic cuts, transitions, ect. and all seems well with
                              no drop frames or nothing to render.

Strange problem indeed....as most of the problems I encounter
                              are always strange to begin with ;P

I appreciate your responses & help thru this. Just to note I am
                              using Edius 5.51 via the OHCI hardware even though I left
                              the DV Storm2 hardware intact.

Cheers!

Saully G.

Comment

Working...