Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mark_m
    • May 2007

What's Edius 4.5 done to my AVI files??

OK, I installed 4.51 as an update to 4.24.
    I opened an old Edius DV project, put some footage on the timeline, played with the multicam, saved and closed the project and went back to working on a Premiere Pro CS3 native DV project using the same footage, and this is what I saw:

My footage was upside down and had these stripes running through it!!!
    The .avi file now won't open in MS Media Player, or any other media player I have installed. The programs just hang when I try and open the affected footage.

Other Premiere Pro projects utilising footage unlooked at in Edius 4.51 seem unaffected.

Any idea why updating Edius and opening .avi files in it should have such a disastrous effect on my AVI files?
    And more importantly, what can I do to recover these files?
  • GrassValley_KH
    Mr Sparkle
    • Apr 2007

Are my eyes deceiving me or do the thumbnails on the timeline also have these colourful stripes?

Comment

• mark_m
      • May 2007

Yep, the thumbnails of the affected clips only have the stripes running through them.
      Clips which were never opened in Edius 4.51 are fine.

Comment

• GrassValley_KH
        Mr Sparkle
        • Apr 2007

Ok, what format was the source clip you placed onto the v4.51 timeline and then reopened in CS3?

Canopus DV or MS DV? Something else?

Comment

• mark_m
          • May 2007

Thanks for your prompt attention Kennealy. They would have been Canopus DV files captured from within Edius.

OK, I have now tried to export these files from Edius, and when I right click the file in the bin and go "convert" and make a DV file it fails to finish the conversion giving me an error message, and when I put the clip (note that the footage looks just fine in Edius) in a sequence and try and export that Edius freezes with the export box open.

I'm having a bit of a panic attack here.

Here's a screenshot showing the timeline and the difference between the clips which were opened in Edius (the ones with the lines through) and those which were not (the ones which look as they should)

The clips without the lines will have been captured as Canopus DV type 2 files with Scenalyzer.

Comment

• GrassValley_KH
            Mr Sparkle
            • Apr 2007

What happens if you capture some new footage now that the system has been upgraded - is it glitched too?

This is the first I've seen this issue.

Also, if you do a reboot and then go straight to Windows Media Player, will the funky files play properly again?

Comment

• mark_m
              • May 2007

I rebooted, went straight to Edius, successfully exported the files from Edius as MS DV AVIs, relinked in Premiere and am back to work. And I need to finish this project. As soon as I am done I will do as you request and let you know the outcome. Thanks for your help.

Oh, and I used the Batch Export feature to export these files with. Very nice, thank you!

Cheers

Mark
              Last edited by mark_m; 08-07-2007, 10:06 PM. Reason: added a bit...

Comment

• mark_m
                • May 2007

Originally posted by GrassValley_KH
                What happens if you capture some new footage now that the system has been upgraded - is it glitched too?
                Yes it is glitched too. Looks exactly the same: inverted and imprisoned behind coloured bars.
                I am using using the DVStorm and have tried in the DVStorm RT mode and in the OHCI mode.
                Again, the files look fine in Edius, but not anywhere else EXCEPT in Scenalyzer, which sees everything quite happily and as it should.

This is the first I've seen this issue.
                And I hope the only time you see it!

Also, if you do a reboot and then go straight to Windows Media Player, will the funky files play properly again?
                Nope, they just crash Windows Media Player.

What's your verdict Dr K? Or at least your next suggested course of action?

Comment

• STORMDAVE
                  • May 2007

If you're working with Premiere Pro and Edius, I recommend that you capture to MSDV...both support the files without problems.

Comment

• GrassValley_KH
                    Mr Sparkle
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mark_m
                    What's your verdict Dr K? Or at least your next suggested course of action?
                    I'd be interested in getting a sample of the pristine scenalyzer-captured Canopus DV footage.

Comment

• mark_m
                      • May 2007

Happy to oblige, but the smallest one is 4.533GB. Too big for e-mail or yousendit and just too big for a single layer DVD. I could get a double layer DVD and send it across the Atlantic to you or upload it to an ftp site overnight if you send me an address.

However, just looking at this again, it doesn't say sclive in the tape name box, which is usually Scenalyzer's default setting. So now I can't say with any kind of certainty how I captured it when I created this project last December. Could have been any number of ways: on DVStorm system via Edius, on OHCI laptop using Edius or Premiere Pro.. but I'm pretty certain I did it in Edius on the DVStorm system using version 4.x drivers. Probably 4.03.

Is it still useful for you to have this file?

Cheers

Mark

Comment

• GrassValley_KH
                        Mr Sparkle
                        • Apr 2007

I'd be passing it on for analysis. While it's not out of the question for there to be a change in the Canopus DV codec, I'm still unsure as to why a regular Canopus DV clip captured in a previous version of EDIUS would be modified by EDIUS v4.5 when all that happened, in your words, was that multicam adjustments were made and the project (EZP file) was saved.

That shouldn't touch the file at all. It may, however, affect the way in which other apps are decoding Canopus DV files.

The next step would be to, when you're free of work, try a clean install of EDIUS - that means removing all software pertaining to 'Canopus DV' and installing fresh (with just v4.5). See how that goes. Maybe the decoder is jumbled.

Comment

• STORMDAVE
                          • May 2007

Mark, can you re-capture these files by any chance? Or use ProCoder (If you have it) to go back to MSDV.

I've been using SCLive for years...most of the time I use Canopus DV, and it works perfectly...but now I use Microsoft DV.

When I imported Canopus DV files into Premiere Pro 2, it required rendering...but scrubbing over them looked ok.

Comment

• xmanflash
                            • May 2007

Isn't it more likely a change in the DV playback codec code? - Maybe it was using the DVstorm codec, now it isnt? Just guessing!
                            www.wishlistcentral.com - suggest new features
                            www.buglistcentral.com - report bugs
                            www.wishlistcentral.com/edius/ - Free edius user add-ons

Comment

• wilddog
                              • May 2007

This was also happening to me, but not with the Canopus files, but with an imported .vob file from a DVD.
                              Same upside down and stripes.
                              I update windows media player to version 11 and all went normal.

Comment

Working...