Is Canopus Lossless TOTALLY lossless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Canopus Lossless TOTALLY lossless?

Is Canopus lossless TOTALLY lossless, meaning, can I save a file as many times as I want without absolutely any loss of quality? Thanks.

Yes. It is a mathematically-lossless compression, so what you get out is exactly what you put in*, just like how you can Zip a file, unzip it, then re-zip it and repeat as many times as you want, and the (unzipped) file is still the same.

* Remember that in the video world color sampling in another dimension in compression. Meaning, if, say you're editing in 4:2:2 colorspace, but your output format only supports 4:2:0, the final output has to go from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 sampling first, so what "goes in" will be 4:2:0, regardless of whether the compression is lossy or lossless. Canopus Lossless supports 4:2:2 color sampling. But if you took a 4:4:4 input, it would go down to 4:2:2, then get losslessly compressed, and the decompressed data would be the 4:2:2 data that was input to it.

Comment

Thanks, and also for the additional important information.

Comment

sorry to resurrect this old thread but i was wondering if the canopus lossless codec:
        • supports 10-bit
        • supports alpha channel

on a separate note, is edius 6 itself 4:4:4 or just 4:2:2?

Comment

Working...
        X