Over driven audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over driven audio

I just got back from a wedding and the audio came out a little hot. Its a bit distorted during the reception. What filter might make this a little better?
    Randy

Asus sabertooth MB Z97 16 gigs of ram SSD system and edit drives Nvidia GTX-660 video card

Sound Forge, Tools, Clipped Peak Restoration
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Will Iztop do it or soundbooth? I have those programs.
      Randy

Asus sabertooth MB Z97 16 gigs of ram SSD system and edit drives Nvidia GTX-660 video card

Comment

I've had good results with Izotope RX when dealing with clipped audio.
        System 1 - Win7 64/Edius 5.51/Asus P8/8Gb RAM/RAID0/i7 2600K OC/nVidia Quadra 600
        System 2 - Win XP/Edius v4.61/Asus P5 DH Deluxe/4Gb RAM/RAID0/Quad Core 2.4Ghz Q6600/nVidia 9800GT 512Mb/NXHD + other stuff

Comment

Adobe Audition (previously known as Cool Edit Pro) includes the capability.

Comment

Awesome thanks guys.
            Randy

Comment

From what I've heard from users, Izotope RX is the king when it comes to clipped audio.

You might also try a free VST plugin called "relife" available from:

www.terrywest.nl

I've not tried compatibility in Edius, but using Sound Forge as a host, I've been able to do restoration on modestly overloaded audio. Try using that with the clipped peak restoration tools in SF or Audition.

Comment

From what I've heard from users, Izotope RX is the king when it comes to clipped audio.
                From my experience compared to Audition I get a result quicker with RX.
                RX is a bit pricey but it does work very well.
                System 1 - Win7 64/Edius 5.51/Asus P8/8Gb RAM/RAID0/i7 2600K OC/nVidia Quadra 600
                System 2 - Win XP/Edius v4.61/Asus P5 DH Deluxe/4Gb RAM/RAID0/Quad Core 2.4Ghz Q6600/nVidia 9800GT 512Mb/NXHD + other stuff

Comment

oh I need the RX version. I only have the one that comes with Edius.
                  Randy

Comment

I am playing around with the free izotope that came with Edius 5.X. Is the filter called declipper?
                    Randy

Comment

Audition (and I'm guessing the others mentioned work in the same way) can help with clipped audio, if the clipping is in the digital domain - i.e. the actual A/D converter was overdriven.
                      If however it was the mic pamp that was overdriven, so that the clipping occurred in the analogue mode before digitisation, then I'm afraid you are unlikely to get much improvement with the clipping restoration tools.
                      Let's hope your 'overdrive' is digital!

Comment

Originally posted by Arjay View Post
                        If however it was the mic pamp that was overdriven, so that the clipping occurred in the analogue mode before digitisation, then I'm afraid you are unlikely to get much improvement with the clipping restoration tools.
                        Let's hope your 'overdrive' is digital!
                        Even this can be used IF
                        First normalize to "0" so all the cropped peaks are at max then apply the Noise reduction / Clip restoration and some good relief can be obtained. Not perfect!
                        Regards Barry
                        Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
                        GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
                        Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
                        Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

I've never had much luck myself with 'de clipping' analogue distortion --especially if the analogue overdrive introduces non linear dirtortion.
                          The harmonic distortion doesn't appear as a nice 'clipped' waveform suitable for restoration, but rather as complex odd harmonic distorted waveforms, below the clipping threshold.

Must give your idea a try--although, as you say, it's not going to be perfect!!

Comment

Working...
                          X