Export to Elementary stream - Brightness Blow-out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Export to Elementary stream - Brightness Blow-out

Can't help but think I've overlooked some basic setting, but haven't uncovered it yet.

When I export to an elementary stream from an SD Canopus HQ avi (from Vdub) the resulting elementary stream video file has blown out the brightness and pushed the contrast too. Matching the SD Canopus HQ avi to the elementary stream in an EDIUS project I can make the input file match the output file using the color balance filter by adding +44 to brightness and +8 to contrast.

Can anyone identify what ever bonehead error I'm making? As is normal it's panic time, this is delaying the delivery of 4 projects that must get completed before I go into the hospital to have my back surgery redone (Monday).
    Fred D
    Win 7 Pro-64 bit, EDIUS Workgroup 8.5, Intel Ivy Bridge i5, ASUS P8Z77-V-LK, 8GB Kningston DDR3, Pioneer BDR-209UBK, EVGA NVIDEA GEForce GT630, Corsair TX750M 750w Power Supply, 4 WD Black HDD for 3.15TB, ACEDVIO, Spark HD, eSATA controller, ANTEC 300 case.

Fred,

Are you monitoring all of these files on the same monitor?

Are you viewing the DVD file on a T.V. and it is different?

Try keeping your workflow inside of Edius and see if the problem goes away. Maybe there is a setting in Vdub that is causing the issue (color space setting).

I have never had a color shift from the timeline, to HQ then to Mpeg-2 inside of Edius. It is when outside programs come into the mix that color shifts have occured for me. But your case seems extreme.

Try some tests and report back. I will be editing all day so I will try to stop in and help if I can.
    Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

Thanks for the reply. M<y face is red. Wish I could heve pulled the post before anyone read it.
      The problem is simply ME.
      I'm dealing with poor quality video shot in a dark church with windows causing changing light levels and white balance problems. Clouds and sunlight breaks. Further, I do not currently have a TV monitor (HD Spark on order). Result is that I'm guessing about proper brightness and color and contrast on the system monitor. Then after converting to SD fro HD I could view the footage on a TV monitor through my ACEdvio (name is something like that) card but it's 16x9 squished on my 4x3 monitor. Making poor judgements I added a color balance filter to the SD avi before creating the elemntary stream. Cl;early NOT ANY COMPONENT OF MY SYSTEM, just me. Sorry for the false alarm. Back to work. Got to fix all 4 projects. Thanks again.
      Fred D
      Win 7 Pro-64 bit, EDIUS Workgroup 8.5, Intel Ivy Bridge i5, ASUS P8Z77-V-LK, 8GB Kningston DDR3, Pioneer BDR-209UBK, EVGA NVIDEA GEForce GT630, Corsair TX750M 750w Power Supply, 4 WD Black HDD for 3.15TB, ACEDVIO, Spark HD, eSATA controller, ANTEC 300 case.

Comment

At least you know what it is.

My first thought was a monitoring difference. This speaks volumes to how important a full system with a proper preview monitor is. One of the strong points of being an Edius user as they offer full systems with hardware so you can know for sure about your choices.

Have fun with your HD Spark when it arrives.
        Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

If you don't have an output monitor make sure to keep your scopes up on the screen. You can trust them for your levels when you know how to use them. I haven't used a dedicated output monitor in years. I have dual screens with my second dedicated to the Edius monitor full screen. It's the poor man's RT output monitor. Both of my monitors are identical and I know what my scopes tell me so I trust it. Is it spot on, nope, but everytime I have watched my output on other displays or TVs they always look pretty good. No customer has ever complained. Like I tell people....I'm doing weddings productions.....not Planet Earth for Discovery Channel. When I am famous enough to do big time TV projects I will invest accordingly. :-)
          Main System. MSI G33m Motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, 2GB Ram, GeForce 9500GT, 7200rpm System drive. WinXP. Lots of external eSATA drives.

Laptop. Sony Vaio. CPU- i7-Gen 3, 8gb RAM, 1tbb 5400rpm hard drive, AMD GPU

Comment

Working...
          X