Compatibility with Final Cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility with Final Cut

Hello I am new to the GV forum so perhaps this has been covered...
    I am trying to transfer files to and from Edius-Final Cut. I am finding that the Edius-created AVIs are not recognized by FC. Also there is a file size limit for FC-created quicktime files to be transferred out of the Apple onto thumbdrives for import into Edius... Does anyone have experience in transferring media back and forth between Edius and Final Cut?

ProRes 422 works fine in Edius. Going back to FCP is another story.

Comment

I'd like to hear from anyone who has experiences of 'that other story'

QT animation codec works for me for short clips but I'd really appreciate a decent working solution.

Anyone tried m_jpg a?b at various settings? I don't need the alpha.

Alan (uk)
      Alan.

More or less retired now. Still on the Essex(UK) coast. Edius 8.2wg all sorts of other, more or less redundant kit - production & Post.

Comment

Uncompressed should do the trick as well.
        Jerry
        Six Gill DV
        www.sgdvtutorials.com
        If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
        http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
        Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I've had some success with quicktime export using the DVCProHD codec. Final Cut read the files ok. (But gosh, it took a while... lot of footage)
          Work: Edius 7.20.437 on HP Z220 workstation; Edius 6.08 on i7 running Win 7 64 bit 6 GB RAM. Neo 2.0 on a Lenovo T61. JVC GY-HD201 and GY-HD110.
          Home: Canon HV20 and Panasonic GH1 (hacked); Neo 3.01 on HP elitebook 8440p i7 and Neo 1 on homemade dualcore desktop.

Comment

Hmmm uncompressed's a bit overkill for my needs Jerry. Shame Edius can't export ProRes as well. Apple licensing I guess.

Interesting Rob. It's only SD I need currently but that's useful info.

Alan
            Alan.

More or less retired now. Still on the Essex(UK) coast. Edius 8.2wg all sorts of other, more or less redundant kit - production & Post.

Comment

I would look at exporting to AVID's DNxHD codec as it's available for both platforms and a free download. Google is your friend on this.

My understanding is that ProRez is a ripoff of AVID's DNxHD codec as well. Export out as QT with DNxHD as the codec. The MAC user only need to install the codec on their machine and all should be good. IF you're having to deal with m2t files, you'll need to purchase the Quicktime Pro mpeg2 component to render out files based on that format.

I use Handbrake to convert files and since it utilizes Quicktime Pro, once you install the DNxHD codec, it becomes available to Handbrake - I choose the DNxHD 145 setting since I shoot 1440x1080i at the present time. YMMV
              Last edited by bluprojekt; 04-24-2010, 07:18 PM.
              Cliff Etzel
              Micro Documentary Filmmaker
              bluprojekt | SoloVJ (blog)
              --------
              Desktop: OS: Win7 Pro x64 | CPU: Intel Q9400 | Mobo: Intel DG33TL | 8GB G.Skill Dual Channel RAM | Boot/Apps: Seagate 160GB 7200RPM | Audio: Seagate 160GB 7200RPM | Source: WD Black 2x750GB Raid 0 (1.5TB) | Graphics: nVidia GT-220 1GB DDR

Laptop: Dell Latitude D620 | C2D 2.0Ghz | 4GB G.Skill RAM | OS: Vista x64 | Primary HD: WD 320GB 7200RPM | Video HD: WD 250GB 5400RPM

Comment

Transferring solution

It sounds like you're issue is not with the file types, since you can convert to QT for FC, but HOW to get the files between computers-
                I had a similar problem-- easy solution-- I purchased a Dlink server (about $180, installed drives for another $150)- hooked up to my network- now I can work off the server, transfer, store between computers-- wonderful!
                Main System- HD Storm + Edius 7 Pro
                Win 7 (64),Asus P6T Deluxe v2 - Intel I7 - 12 G ram Gforce GTX 970 - 6 T internal-- 12 T Drobo Sata connection

Secondary System- Edius 6- Win XP, Intel DH55HC i5 4T storage, 4G ram, Gforce GTX 260, , ADVC110

Comment

I'm not with my Mac at the moment but Google 'Writing NTFS files on Mac' I've downloaded a free app that enables Mac (Leopard in my case) to write to NTFS formatted external drives.

It's a bit slow but being able to write unlimited file sizes is great.

Thanks for the excellent advice bluprojekt. Do you think this'll work on Vista64?

Alan (uk)
                  Alan.

Comment

!!

I'm curious, and not to start a mac vc pc war, have you requested this same function from FCP(Apple)? I have seen this same general request a lot recently. Since you are obviously using FCP to finish, try there first.
                    Why is it Grass Valley's responsibility to make Edius files compatible with another editor?
                    Here is a link that will convert mpeg to prores.

As I said, I am just curious as to why it is left to GV to make changes.

A link to a program for conversion:
                    http://www.squared5.com/
                    and a discussion about this on DVX forum:
                    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=189983
                    Last edited by Jerry; 04-29-2010, 11:47 AM.
                    Jerry
                    Six Gill DV
                    www.sgdvtutorials.com
                    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Hi jerry,

No, no PC v Mac controversy here. I work in the medical field and have to support both PC and Macheads. So the workflow is usually dictated by the customer.

Personally I grew up in the PC world and would still be more than happy with my beloved Liquid Silver but that no longer has a future courtesy of Avid.

I've replaced it with Edius which I'd choose to use universally if given the choice, however with the PCs and Macs networked I can flip between them depending on what I'm trying to achieve.

I'm currently completing an edit in FCP with loads of animated captions from VisTitle (I wish they'd given QT animation as an output codec choice!)

I'd certainly not expect any editing software manufacturer given the responsibilty of supporting others codecs but from a user's perspective a common high quality way of flipping between Edius, Vegas and FCP would be a great advantage.

Alan (uk)
                      Alan.

Comment

I still believe the best option is to utilize Mpeg Streamclip and the Avid DNxHD codec's for cross platform compatibility.
                        Cliff Etzel
                        Micro Documentary Filmmaker
                        bluprojekt | SoloVJ (blog)
                        --------
                        Desktop: OS: Win7 Pro x64 | CPU: Intel Q9400 | Mobo: Intel DG33TL | 8GB G.Skill Dual Channel RAM | Boot/Apps: Seagate 160GB 7200RPM | Audio: Seagate 160GB 7200RPM | Source: WD Black 2x750GB Raid 0 (1.5TB) | Graphics: nVidia GT-220 1GB DDR

Laptop: Dell Latitude D620 | C2D 2.0Ghz | 4GB G.Skill RAM | OS: Vista x64 | Primary HD: WD 320GB 7200RPM | Video HD: WD 250GB 5400RPM

Comment

Export MXFs (XDCAM exporter) from Edius, then import to FCP using XDCAM Transfer Tool. Reverse the process from FCP to Edius (File import>XDCAM etc); the exported MXF can be directly imported to Edius.
                          Desktop: Edius 8.50 WG/Win 7 Pro/HP Z620/Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.60GHz/16GB RAM/NVIDIA Quadro 4000/Storm 3G

Laptop: 8.50 WG/Win 10 Home/ASUS ROG G751/Intel i7-4710HQ @ 2.50GHz/16GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M

Comment

I also wanted to know an Edius-FCP route. A guy from China responded with his site, but it's in Chinese. I tried to translate, but it still didn't make sense to me. Here's the site, see if you can decipher it.

http://www.intodv.com/forum.php?mod=...extra=page%3D1

Comment

Originally posted by jsyrjanen View Post
                              Export MXFs (XDCAM exporter) from Edius, then import to FCP using XDCAM Transfer Tool.
                              Could you go into more detail? It didn't work for me.
                              Jim Edds www.ExtremeStorms.com

Edius 5.51, I7 980x Hex Core, 3.33 GHz, 12GB DDR3, HD Spark, 250GB SSD, Win7 64 bit, 4x2TB RAID 5 eSATA array (200-225mb/sec), 4 hot swappable internal SATAII misc.. drives; Cams: Panasonic AG-DVX200, Go Pro; Edius 5.51/HP 8710W & 17 in mid 2010 MBP/Adobe CC suite.

Comment

Working...
                              X