hi8 transfer to hd "jumpy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi8 transfer to hd "jumpy"

done with vhs transfer to hd...moving onto hi8 and having some problems.

i'm using an old sony handcam ccd-trv36 to playback my old hi8 tapes and transfer them to the hard drive. the problem is: the playback is bad. the lcd screen and the realtime screen in edius neo shows a "jumpy" picture, an inconsistent representation of the recording. i plugged it into my hi-def tv and it worked fine, surprisingly.

when i capture, i shut down all other processes and don't do anything on the computer. there is no firewire output on the camcorder, only a yellow rca cable for video and a black one for audio, which i used a converter to get a stereo sound.

im not sure what the problem is. can't be "dirty" camcorder heads because it worked fine on the hdtv. can't be the firewire cord or the computer as they're both new. i'm also capturing to an os free spare hard-drive. i'm really at a loss here.

thank you.

you need a TBC (Time Base Corrector)
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

can you recommend an inexpensive good one

Comment

http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc300

Check this out

Comment

i currently have the advc110 and i absolutely love it. already done abour 30 vhs transfers with zero problems. why does that not take care of the tbc?

Comment

the advc110 does not have a TBC, it converts analog to digital, if the analog jumps, the digital jumps

a TBC removes jumps by inserting a new timebase, therefore producing a stable signal as if it would come out of the head of a camera
            Anton Strauss
            Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Like Anton said the 110 doesn't have the TBC in it bit the 300 does. That is part of the price difference.

Comment

But then why, when I plug it into my HDTV, is it ok...with no jumpy picture? Does an HDTV correct for things like tbc?

Comment

What is the video capture card that you are plugging the RCA composite yellow cord into?

Comment

TVs just plain don't care - they don't need to know where a frame begins or ends, they just display whatever bits come in.

The digitization process, however, is far more strict. It needs to know where a frame begins and ends. Timing is critical because the frame begin/end cues are in the video.

You can think of it like listening to someone who speaks with an odd cadence and pauses in the middle of sentences, not at natural breaks.

For example, if you called me and asked what I need from the grocery store and I responded with "I just need milk ----- and eggs ----- not white ------ sugar."

It would be confusing. You might hang up on me before I finished my list.

Or you might misunderstand me and think I needed brown eggs, instead of brown sugar.

Comment

Working...
                    X