Avid Liquid *.ale list to Edius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avid Liquid *.ale list to Edius?

Is there a way to convert Avid Liquid *.ale list so it can be imported in Edius?
    I have tried several software’s for conversion ale to edl without success.
    I have tried to export from Liquid edl in Sony9100, CMX3600 even GVG edl but it doesn't work.
    Actually I can import edl but there is no way to reconnect to media files in Edius.

Any help would be very grateful.

Best regards,
    Tomislav
    Edius Silver Status

Gigabyte UD5 X58, i7 950 , 2TB RAID 0,GTX 285 PCIe, 6GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz, OS drive SSD Corsair, 750W PS,Samsung 1920x1080 LCD, GVG HD Storm 3G, Edius 7.30, Windows 7 64bit Ultimate)
    JVC DT-V20L3 20" HD-SDI broadcast monitor, multiformat

I doubt that you will be able to connect to existing media files

you may have to open batch capture and then the loaded edl should capture them from your player?

then again, I could be wrong
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Hi Anton,

I want to change existing Liquid workflow with Edius.
      *.ale list is created in VPMS (they are using proxy files from server) and I need to found solution to open it in Edius (with hi res files) and it must be relink..not capture since files are already on server.
      Unfortunately EDL doesn't have files location info so I can not use it..
      I'm not sure is there a way to convert ale to aaf..maybe that could work...

I will try..

Thanks for your replay
      Edius Silver Status

Gigabyte UD5 X58, i7 950 , 2TB RAID 0,GTX 285 PCIe, 6GB RAM DDR3 1600MHz, OS drive SSD Corsair, 750W PS,Samsung 1920x1080 LCD, GVG HD Storm 3G, Edius 7.30, Windows 7 64bit Ultimate)

Comment

Hi Tomislav,

I was a long time user of Fast Silver and have migrated over to Edius now that Avid aren't supporting it any more.

You can import ale files via the batch capture/load capture list/files of type route. Unfortunately it has a known bug that won't allow a list longer than about 20 entries (from memory!) to be loaded.

I've not chased it up as my work now is mainly file based so don't need batch capture too much.

Good luck

Alan
        Alan.

More or less retired now. Still on the Essex(UK) coast. Edius 8.2wg all sorts of other, more or less redundant kit - production & Post.

Comment

Are you trying to import the clips into the bin or the edit off the timeline?
          ALE will only do the clips list not the timeline. The only way to take the timeline edit is via an EDL - I generally have used CMx3600 and that worked reasonably well.

Using an EDL to get the edit into EDIUS
          If using it to take the whole edit then export an EDL in CMX3600 from Liquid and load into EDIUS. EDIUS will then say where are the clips. As long as the clips have timecode on them you should be able to point them to the right files and it finds the footage.

The problem with Liquid is that it does not necessarily put the timecode on the video clip when it captures and certainly does not put in the tape name. If it did then you should be able to use "find from captured files" in the restore offline clips dialogue and it would find the right clips for your timeline.
          The best thing would be to try both really and see what happens.

Using a EDL get the clips from the bin into EDIUS
          Take all the clips and stick them on the timeline in Liquid. Export and EDL and load that into edius and try and link the clips up. Assuming them all link up then copy them from the timeline into the bin.

I have not done this for a couple of months and I know it was not perfect but the only way I could use to get and edit from Liquid to EDIUS.

I have been able to take and EDIUS ALE and convert it into a batch capture list for EDIUS by using excel, but that makes a batch capture list not a list of clips in the bin, so no use for what you are trying to do.

Its a pity Liquid does not export AAF because I have gone from Premeire to EDIUS and Vegas to EDIUS using AAF pretty reliably.

Hope it helps.
          EDIUS silver certified trainer.
          Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
          Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
          Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Hi David, Alan

Thanks for your replay.
            Actually this is one TV station.
            They have automation system and news based on NorCom application.
            On ingest side they are using Osprey card (capture) witch are creating hi and low resolution files.
            After that journalist can make some basic cut in VPMS and export *.ale list.
            Until now workflow was to open that *.ale list in Avid Liquid NLE and finish the editing.
            After that it goes to server to playout.
            Since they want to change Avid Liquid with some other system we are trying to find a way to do it that with Edius.
            Unfortunately I could not find a good way to do it.
            Most important fact is that in *.ale list you have information about root to the files..and I have to find a way to import that ale list in Edius.
            I’m thinking to write some tool for conversion ale to Final Cut XML but I’m not sure how much time will that take.

Any idea would be very appreciated
            Regards,
            Tomislav
            Edius Silver Status

Comment

So what you really need is some kind of utility that converts ALE to EDIUS bn file format - EDB. I tried opening a saved bin in notepad but not luck so its not a simple text file. Anyone know where we can find out information on how and EDIUS bin file is made?
              EDIUS silver certified trainer.
              Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
              Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
              Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Working...
              X