Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From .avi file to .m2t file: bad quality.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From .avi file to .m2t file: bad quality.

Hi, I have an interesting and precious documentary about a colombian ethic group and some years ago I have edited it. I have saved it as .avi file (4:3). Now I'd like to convert that file to .m2t (16:9). I have just made a try but I am very unsatisfied. That original .avi file has a good image quality but after having converted it, in addition to image cutting (on top and bottom) I have now gotten and I see a deteriorate image quality.
    I guessed that something of the sort would happen but I would never have thought it so palpable.
    Is there some trick to improve that image? What could I do precisely?
    Thanks for your help.
    A lonesome traveler looking for lost tribes around the world: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdv...DrZCaaw/videos
    CPU: Intel i9 7940X
    MOTHERBOARD: Asus PRIME X299-DELUXE
    VIDEOCARD: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti
    SSD Drive:
    (C) 512GB Samsung 960 EVO PCIe M.2 NVMe (for Windows 10)
    (D) 1TB Samsung 960 EVO PCIe M.2 NVMe

Don't do true 16X9, because if you do it has to zoom in to fill the side and that is why you get bad quality, put a 16x9 graphic or the same clip but blur it and stretch it out to fill the side on the bottom layer and leave the top clip alone, just like the way they do it in ESPN, this is the only way to retain good quality that conform to 16X9.
    I7-6900K, X99 Taichi, Geforce GTX 1070, Corsair RM850X, Corsair H100 IV2, Windows 10, Edius WG 9.30

Comment

Originally posted by Khoi Pham View Post
      put a 16x9 graphic or the same clip but blur it and stretch it out to fill the side on the bottom layer and leave the top clip alone, just like the way they do it in ESPN, this is the only way to retain good quality that conform to 16X9.
      I think you are giving me a very useful suggestion but I don't understand very fine.
      I hope to find the right way. ;)
      thanks
      A lonesome traveler looking for lost tribes around the world: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdv...DrZCaaw/videos
      SSD Drive:

Comment

Copy the same 4:3 clip and place it under (or over) the original clip. One bottom clip, use Layout Preset to Fit Width. Add Blur

The 4:3 copy should now be setting over the new 16:9 blurred copy

Comment

stretch it out to fill the side on the bottom layer and leave the top clip alone, just like the way they do it in ESPN, this is the only way to retain good quality that conform to 16X9.
          But have I do save as .m2t file or .avi file?
          Could you explain better please?
          SSD Drive:

Comment

Originally posted by pjsssss View Post
            Copy the same 4:3 clip and place it under (or over) the original clip. One bottom clip, use Layout Preset to Fit Width. Add Blur

The 4:3 copy should now be setting over the new 16:9 blurred copy
            I have just done a test: if I put a clip 4:3 on the timeline and put another clip (the same) on the bottom (with blur and Layout Preset 16:9), I see two superimposed clips (images). Perhaps do I make some errors?
            SSD Drive:

Comment

That is what it should be. It is known as "wings" in the broadcast world.

You are basically just putting something else in for hte black. You are not going to be able to scale your 4:3 footage without loosing a lot of resolutions. So in most cases it is best to leave the 4:3 footage as is.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulisse View Post
                I have just done a test: if I put a clip 4:3 on the timeline and put another clip (the same) on the bottom (with blur and Layout Preset 16:9), I see two superimposed clips (images). Perhaps do I make some errors?
                Yes you should see your normal clip and then on the left and right side is the blur clip, or you can put graphic there instead of a blur clip, this is the only way if you don't want to loose any quality.
                I7-6900K, X99 Taichi, Geforce GTX 1070, Corsair RM850X, Corsair H100 IV2, Windows 10, Edius WG 9.30

Comment

Yes you should see your normal clip and then on the left and right side is the blur clip, or you can put graphic there instead of a blur clip, this is the only way if you don't want to loose any quality.
                  1) I don't understand that method at all. Why do I have to see two superimposed clips? ON TV also I will see two superimposed clips. I'm sorry but I like to see a more deteriorate image quality. ;)

2) What do you means with "graphic clip"?

3) Do I have to export as .avi or .m2t file?

Perhaps with Red Giant or some other software will I get an enough good result?

thanks
                  SSD Drive:

Comment

Here is a very short clip to show the effect.
                    Attached Files

Comment

You can put anything you like on the sides (wings), just the regular 4:3 clip stays the same.

Comment

Originally posted by pjsssss View Post
                        Here is a very short clip to show the effect.
                        Your clip looks very nice ... but this method for a documentary is extremely scanty. This is my opinion. Perhaps there is a software (Boris?) that can improve the image quality.
                        thanks for your availability.
                        SSD Drive:

Comment

Look here http://www.vimeo.com/9167041
                          and maybe you can understand it better, because your clip is standard and it is not wide enough for a widescreen resolution, and so it would look better if you have another blur clip to fill the edges or you will see black.
                          Use a 16X9 project, put a clip on V1 and V2, now blur the clip on V1 and go into layout tool and click on fit width, now render it to whatever format you want to save or output.
                          If you don't understand this maybe somebody can explain it to you better.

Didn't know that Pat already put one up, you can try other software and see if it will have better scaling but I doubt it, if it is there would be no need for 16x9 camera.

Comment

I see it in documentaries all the time.

Comment

Look here http://www.vimeo.com/9167041
                              If you don't understand this maybe somebody can explain it to you better.
                              Again .... now I have understood fine that method. It is a good option for some short clips but not for 1 hour documentary. I think to use an external software is better.
                              Thanks
                              SSD Drive:

Comment

Working...
                              X