Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clipbrowser won't capture / convert (sometimes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipbrowser won't capture / convert (sometimes)

We had a big multi-camera shoot last night using Sony EX1 cameras. Some of the cameras captured footage to Sony SxS Cards without any problem. We also used several of the MxM Adapters which also worked great. When I go to capture in Clipbrowser (from my desktop) with the SxS cards it works perfectly. I use Clipbrowser to copy the raw files (BPAV) as a backup first. Then I use Clipbrowser to convert to mxf files from the BPAV footage that's now on my drives. Very simple stuff. I can easily capture the BPAV files from the MxM Adapters to the hard drives as well but can't convert to mxf. If I put the MxM cards into the card readers I can easily convert to mxf straight from the cards but not from the drives. If I attempt to convert from the drives it says "Error occurred during the export. Please refer to the details from the context of each clip." Any ideas what's happening here? If I can't convert the BPAV to mxf then what's the benefit of backing-up? Thanks.
    David
    DMS Films, New York

Laptop - Edius 7.42 / Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition Desktop / 3.6GHz/4.0GHZ / 32GB Hyper-X Quad Channel 1600MHz Ram / Nvidia GeForce GTX-880 w/ 8GB of GDDR5 Video Memory / (3) 1TB SATA-3 V-NAND SSD / Windows 8.1 64-bit
    Desktop - Edius 5.5 / Intel i7 975 Quad Core 3.33GHz / 12GB DDR3 1333MHz / Nvidia GeForce GTX-275 / Vis Title 1.1 / FireCoder-Blu / (2) 27" LCDs / JVC DT-V24L1U (24" 1080p) / Windows Vista 64 - www.EditHD.com

David,

I think that is a question for Sony and/or the company that makes the adapter.

Here is something to check. Is the format type i.e. (NTFS, FAT32, etc.) the same on both types of media? I would think do if they were both formatted in the EX-1 prior to use. Just a thought. I do not own an EX-1.
    George Dame
    Grass Valley / Canopus System Integrator - Nearly 13 Years
    Providing Systems, Onsite Delivery, Support & Training Services Nationwide
    Get Your Copy of The Edius 6 Comprehensive Tutorial by contacting me via PM, email or phone
    Invite us to your local video association for a full demonstration!
    www.editHD.com - 1-877-ieditDV

Comment

Why are you converting to mxf? Just save and archive the BPAV folder. In the future you can load up the folder in clipbrowser, then drag the files directly to your timeline. No need to convert anything.

Comment

Originally posted by iibw View Post
        Why are you converting to mxf? Just save and archive the BPAV folder. In the future you can load up the folder in clipbrowser, then drag the files directly to your timeline. No need to convert anything.
        Yes, that's what I do as well, from CB to the Edius Bin then Bin to timeline. No converting.
        Tony

Fractal Design Define XL R2 Full tower- Asrock Z490 Taichi - i9-10850K -- 250GB 860 EVO- 32GBVengeance LPX- Blackmagic IP4K-- Geforce GTX 1070 Founders Edition -- EVGA G3 850 PSU-- Corsair H100i Pro XT- LG Blu-Ray writer- MxM PCI-e Reader-- EDIUS X WG- Win 10 Pro 64bit.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies (including Pat). I did a couple of more searches after reading your responses. I didn't know I could simply drag clips from CB to the timeline. I never thought of trying that. It seems like it works well. I tend to use a lot of filters so we'll see how the clips hold up. As a comparison can someone list their specific workflow from capturing (on location) to backing-up and using with Edius. It was suggested to me that in CB that I use "perform CRC check." Also, several editors suggested not using CB inside of Edius (Capture > XDCam Clipbrowser) so I've always used it by clicking from the desktop. My workflow does work but I can already see there are better options available. What is your specific workflow? Thanks.
          David
          DMS Films, New York

Laptop - Edius 7.42 / Intel Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition Desktop / 3.6GHz/4.0GHZ / 32GB Hyper-X Quad Channel 1600MHz Ram / Nvidia GeForce GTX-880 w/ 8GB of GDDR5 Video Memory / (3) 1TB SATA-3 V-NAND SSD / Windows 8.1 64-bit
          Desktop - Edius 5.5 / Intel i7 975 Quad Core 3.33GHz / 12GB DDR3 1333MHz / Nvidia GeForce GTX-275 / Vis Title 1.1 / FireCoder-Blu / (2) 27" LCDs / JVC DT-V24L1U (24" 1080p) / Windows Vista 64 - www.EditHD.com

Comment

This is what I do.
            I record to my SXS cards.
            Make a folder and name it on my External (Sata) hard drive and then sub folders for each SxS card I use, Card 1 Card 2 and so on.
            I use this card reader to read my SxS (and MxM) cards.
            http://mxmexpress.com/?page_id=9
            PCI-E Express Reader.
            I open CB and copy the clips from my SxS card/s (top window) to the folders I created in my External Hard Drive.
            Once all my SxS cards are copied I then Copy and Paste the folder I created (with all its sub folders) on my external HD to my PC internal hard drive, giving me a second copy of my SxS cards.
            What I then do sometimes is, make another copy to a different internal HD giving me a 3rd copy of my SxS cards.

I then open Edius and make a new project and save it to the SXS cards folder.
            Open CB find the folder/s I created and drag the clips from each folder to the Edius bin and then from there to the timeline, no converting at all.

Hope that make sense.
            Last edited by tony; 02-03-2010, 02:48 PM.
            Tony

Fractal Design Define XL R2 Full tower- Asrock Z490 Taichi - i9-10850K -- 250GB 860 EVO- 32GBVengeance LPX- Blackmagic IP4K-- Geforce GTX 1070 Founders Edition -- EVGA G3 850 PSU-- Corsair H100i Pro XT- LG Blu-Ray writer- MxM PCI-e Reader-- EDIUS X WG- Win 10 Pro 64bit.

Comment

Tony,

Thanks for your detailed workflow. I'm going to change a couple of ways I work and see how it goes.

Regards
              David
              DMS Films, New York

Comment

Your welcome.
                Tony

Comment

Some points on XDcam-EX and use Clipbrowser in Edius :

Edius 5 and XDCAM-EX

Marc
                  Last edited by Marc44; 02-06-2010, 08:59 PM.
                  System : W7 Ultimate - MB: Asus Z170 - I7 6700K - Ram 16 Go - SSD1 256 Go (OS/log) - SSD2 1To (rushes) - HDD 4To (save) - Nvidia Asus GTX970 - HDspark - Edius WG 9 - Vistitle 2.6 - Robuskey - Mercalli4 - Neat video - Ignite - Hitfilm4Pro - AV : Eset Nod32 - Others : Moniteur Sony 32-EX500 - Cam : Sony EX1-R - 2 x Sony PXW-X70 - 1 x Pana GH5
                  Edius in France

Comment

Originally posted by Marc44 View Post
                    Some points on XDcam-EX an use Clipbrowser in Edius :

Edius 5 and XDCAM-EX

Marc
                    In the above tutorial, in step 1 they are giving 2 ways to copy SxS to your hard drive. The first method is by copying and pasting the folder with Windows Explorer. The second is using CB. Sony recommends that you not use Windows Explorer to copy SxS files. I wondered why. At first I thought nothing about using Windows Explorer, I thought a copy of a file is a copy and nothing can go wrong. My mistake! On several rare occasions, I experienced unrecoverable dropouts in my footage. The dropout manifests itself as a thin "broken" line of missing data smack in the middle of the screen for about half a second. This problem happened very rarely, but the fact is it did. Once you had the dropout on your copied file, nothing could be done to recover missing or corrupted data. Ever since then, I've always used CB to copy SxS and have never experienced any problems. Just a warning for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by iibw View Post
                      I've always used CB to copy SxS and have never experienced any problems. Just a warning for everyone.
                      Yes, thats the way its suppose to be done, well according to what I've read,
                      and again according to the posts I've looked into its OK to copy and paste that SxS folder/s after that, to any other Hard Drive.
                      Tony

Comment

Working...
                      X